Seat goes back and forward but not up and down

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Seat goes back and forward but not up and down

Post by Bumpa »

My 2002 Z3 2.2 Sport has the fully electric seats. The passenger one goes back and forward properly, but if you try to alter the height I can hear something cclick under the seat, but it doesn't move, and there is no sign of the motor running. I just womdered if this is a common problem and if there is a known fix. Obviously I have to get the seat out and have a look.

Now that the soft top can finally come down with the better weather, my lovely wife finds she is sitting too high with the top of her head above the screen. To keep the peace I need to sort it out, even if it simply means manually setting the seat to a lower position. Any ideas?
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Seat goes back and forward but not up and down

Post by NZ00Z3 »

The common fault is for the seat to lock in the fully down position. This is caused by the drive nut sticking on the end of the worm tread. Guess it could also happen in the fully up position. You'll need to remove the seat to see where the drive nut is on the worm.
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I got the seat out today and upended it on the bench. It was indeed stuck at the max height. If you refer to this photo https://imgur.com/a/yrqOccf I have labelled the motor which drives through a gearbox to turn the coarse screw you can see. It was completely stuck, explaining why I heard a click when I operated the switch - it was the motor trying to turn the shaft and failing.

After looking at it long and hard I removed the bolt marked A and then was able to turn the unit on the screw thread and wind it up the thread. I levered the seat mechanism to the lowered position and reinserted the bolt. I am waiting for the rain to stop so I can put it back it in the car and see if it works. It doesn't matter if it is still stuck - at least it is now nice and low to suit my passenger!
Harrymail

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Harrymail »

I have the same problem with the drivers seat. Thanks for posting the solution. I will take the seat out when I get time and see if I can do the same. Hope yours is now fixed !

Harry
Z3 2001 1.9 Hellrot II Red
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Don’t forget NOT to turn your ignition on while the seat is out, otherwise the seat belt light will be illuminated requiring it to be reset.
Harrymail

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Harrymail »

Thanks Fender, yes I had read up that I must do that :wink:
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I disconnected the battery because I was concerned about the seat belt tensioner device going off. The manual tells you to disconnect the battery and wait a short while before unplugging the seat harness. Of course the SRS warning light was on after I had put it all back together, but my C110 code reader cleared that with no problem. I also had to reprogramme the radio which was a PITA.

Oh, and by the way, the seat height adjustment now works as it should. Result.
EDIT - be prepared for the weight of the seat. It was almost more than I could manage on my own.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Glad you got it sorted, and yes the seats are heavy, it’s all the motors in there.
Harrymail

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Harrymail »

Thanks for the info. Got my seat out yesterday with the help of a pal to lift it. The mechanism was indeed stuck at the end of its movement. It took a bit of force to get it back on the winder, but now its done its totally free. Gave everything a quick lube, hoovered under the seat and put it back in. Brilliant it works ! Been stuck at the top of the movement for a year since I bought it so its great to be able to lower it.

The link to the picture was very useful.

Thanks very much for posting the solution BUMPA
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

My pleasure. Glad it was a help.