Headlight wiring query

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Agammemnon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Headlight wiring query

Post by Agammemnon »

The Kobra build is ongoing but I've hit a little snag:

Stripping the headlights out of my 2002 facelift Z3 I found a connector for the indicator, another for low beam, one for high beam & another whose purpose I have no idea.
It's a 3-pin connector running to the middle of the headlight unit with Yellow, Brown, Black wires. Can somebody please tell me what they're for?
eta It's been suggested as a headlight adjuster motor if anyone could please confirm?

Also on the driver's side there's a small connector with Black, Brown & Green/Black wires that wasn't connected to anything and on the passenger side wheelarch area a larger connector with Blue, Blue/Black & Brown wires, again not actually connected.

If someone could please tell me what these are for I'd be extremely grateful.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Headlight wiring query

Post by Robert T »

The Z3 has a standard wiring harness. The extra connectors will be for options not fitted to your car. Headlight washers, foglights, aircon, marten repelled etc. etc. For your conversion, you really only need to worry about those that are actually connected to something. I would tag them before disconnecting them, so you know where the should go. If you haven't done so already, download the ETM wiring diagram for your car. Link is in the knowledgebase.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Agammemnon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Agammemnon »

Thanks- I'm labelling & taking photos at every stage so I don't have to rely on memory for what's what.

I'd never even heard of a marten repeller, so thanks for the education on this.

Wiring diagram downloaded but not well understood.
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I don't know what the cable colours are but my 2002 2.2 has headlamp height adjustment motors and they use a three pin plug.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

They are sockets for the headlamp height adjustment motors, with black, brown, and yellow wires.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!