Alternative Z3 Wing Mirrors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Alternative Z3 Wing Mirrors

Post by 19972800 »

Hi, first time post so apologies if my suggestion is possibly seen as sacrilege by the purists (who I would normally agree with).

I have a 1997 2.8 litre Atlanta blue Z3 convertible however due to a combination of wing-mirror spindle corrosion and (mainly) vandalism my wing mirrors are currently both held on by very strong clear tape.

I believe I have 3 repair/replacement options:
1) Buy aged replacements from eBay for about £130+ each (rare, unlikely to find and possible chance of re-breaking due to age)
2) Buy X8R replacements for £200 and reuse the slightly damaged covers (keeps electrics working but would involve a bit or work and trying to colour match the bases)
3) Buy Vitaloni California mirrors in chrome for about £110 for a pair and maybe chrome door handle covers (about £30) and chrome side grills also to match.

An old topic (https://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35506) showed the Vitaloni mirrors on a Z3 and I agree with some of the feedback on there they look a little small but I thought in chrome and with chrome accessories they might look quite good/suitable.

It was the latter option I was hoping to get thoughts/opinions on, anyone else driving around with little aftermarket mirrors or am I just being a cheapskate?
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Alternative Z3 Wing Mirrors

Post by wonderloaf »

There's a company in Germany (I think) that can supply alternative parts:

http://www.spiegel-z3.de/index.html

The webpage was last updated just a couple of days ago so assume they are still going. Unfortunately their price list is in German and won't translate so can't get any idea of prices, but might be worth spending a bit more time trying to translate or an email to them?

Also the alternative bases they supply are non-metallic (fibreglass I think) so won't suffer from the dreaded corrosion!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Alternative Z3 Wing Mirrors

Post by mrscalex »

X8R are the U.K. distributor for the German made part as far as I can tell.

If you email the German site you will get a prompt response in English. He’s a good guy and he’s called Udo.

Robert
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)