Getting the Spare Wheel out

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Getting the Spare Wheel out

Post by saturdaygig »

I've had the car for over three years and never done this, and there's a road trip coming so I thought I'd better check.

I've undone the nut under the storage tray on the driver's side of the boot, and used the handle to unscrew the one in the middle. Supposedly then you lift, press together the spring clip and lower the spare down. Mine just drops a small amount then doesn't want to go any further. I can get my hand under and find the compartment edge (and feel the spare inside) and pull down on it, but it doesn't want to go any further.

I'm hoping one of you has been there and done that.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Getting the Spare Wheel out

Post by colb »

Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Sounds like the hinge points are rusted solid. You may have to put the car on axle stands and get under there to free them up.
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

Could be the hinge at the back of the carrier is rusted up. Try freeing with WD40.
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

Actually that video was my start point, but it only tells you how it's supposed to work, and mine has some sort of issue. Looks like I need get it up on stands and take a closer look. Thanks all.
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

Yes that worked. A spray of WD40 and a firm yank downwards and out it came. Tyre is quite flat - I didn't realise it can be inflated from the back of the car without removing it.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Remember the skinny spare rubber will be as old as your car so may be past it’s best give it a good look for cracking on sidewalls and in between treads, any doubt replace it, bet the wheel needs a good derust as well.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I reckon the space saver spare is just about useless anyway. Where the blazes are you going to put the punctured tyre once you've fitted the spare? The only possible place is on your passenger's lap. Great planning BMW. I intend to go for the gel stuff that seals the tyre from the inside should it be puncured, stuff like Puncturesafe.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

BMW kindly provide a polythene bag to put the wheel in while the passenger carries it! Always deflate it first though http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 600833.stm :?
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

That's horrific, but must be very rare. Still, I shall definitely deflate it first if I ever have to resort to putting the tyre in the car. :(
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

saturdaygig wrote: Mon 04 Jun, 2018 16:54 Yes that worked. A spray of WD40 and a firm yank downwards and out it came. Tyre is quite flat - I didn't realise it can be inflated from the back of the car without removing it.
The extension tube which enables inflation can be the reason for deflation as it leaves the tyre valve permanently open. If the tube leaks air as mine did it's probably best to remove it.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic