Ground Locations

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
spyderwire

Z3 roadster 2.8

Ground Locations

Post by spyderwire »

Does anyone know where all of the ground locations are on the Z3? I'm mainly looking for the ones that might have the ABS module, and the DME connected to it. I'm trying to fix a P1747 and a local shop said to try the grounds. Background information, my 2000 Z3 with a 2.8L was a barn find as of a couple months ago when I bought it. It ran perfectly fine till a couple weeks ago.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Ground Locations

Post by mrscalex »

You need the BMW electrical manual, preferably for your year of production.

If you PM me your email and year I will send it to you.

These docs don’t just have wiring diagrams. They have all manner of data including ground locations.

Robert
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I was just reading up on that error.

It basically means an electrical control signal has gone missing and the car has got confused.

What other manifestations do you have? Dash lights on? How is the car running?

Anecdotally the ABS module, DME and crankshaft sensor all look like common causes. As well as a bad battery or alternator.

Ground connections are a possibility but my gut feel is it would be something else.

Do you have your own code reader? The P code is a generic error and not a BMW one. It sounds like something a universal tool would show. With a BMW reader on there you may get additional and more specific codes.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I just saw your other post. The P0600 seems to go hand in hand with the P1747. It means a module is failing to provide monitoring data to the DME. Which most likely suggests a faulty module or wiring between.

It’s possible your garage has only looked at engine codes. If you can check for other codes, especially chassis where the ABS codes live then you may get lead straight to the solution.

A worthwhile investment for any BMW owner is a decent hand-held scanner like the C110+ Creator.

Even if it doesn’t help on this occasion they are valuable tools.

It must be used/you must buy the round-pin adaptor cable with it. And you must plug in to the port under the bonnet. If you plug the square connector only in under the dash you only get engine codes. Which come to think of it is possibly what your garage has done.
ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I checked out the C110 V5.6 on Amazon and they state ABS not supported on the Z3 ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAOZUA-Latest- ... B011KMS2VA

On a side note, I have Inpa etc on my old laptop but the cables are iffy so I am looking for a handheld unit, suggestions ?

A mate also has Carly on iPad, not really had a chance to use that though.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I’ll test my brother’s C110 again as I always use INPA or BMW Scanner these days.

But I am 99% sure he specifically bought it in the early days before I had INPA to pick up an ABS fault on his pre-facelift 1.9.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

This is my preferred tool on a laptop now. You pay for the cable and get the software with it. It’s much easier to setup than INPA.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Scanner ... 2070887752

It’s much more user friendly than INPA too and from my use so far does everything INPA does and arguably more. So eg DME/EWS alignment.

But laptop tools aren’t for everyone. In which case I’d recommend the C110 Creator. But let me double check the ABS capability is there but I expect it to be.
ImageImage
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I have a C110+ and it can definitely pick up ABS codes, but it only gives a hexadecimal code with a brief description. Can you convert the hex to a P code or whatever is most useful?

For example my 2002 2.2 sport with DSC occasionally shows warning lights and the C110 gives 5E3C Rotation Rate Signal. I have no idea what that means, but the warning lights go away when you switch off the engine and restart.
Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

I've just found EndTuning's lists of BMW codes on the internet and there 5E3C is described as Wheel Speed Not Plausible. Fine, but which wheel?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks Bumpa. Saved me a job :)

The disclaimer may be when the square connector only is used. You would need the round plug converter to pick them up.
ImageImage
spyderwire

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by spyderwire »

So today I was going to change my secondary air hose because it's cracked, and just decided to turn the key to position two to listen for anything random... and I heard what I thought was a very random noise. It was coming from the enclosed compartment on the passenger side just in front of the secondary air pump, the compartment with the lid that is screwed on. It sounded like a fan in there... Is that normal? Does something in that box work or sound like a fan normally? Not a quiet fan either, you can hear it pretty well with the bonnet closed. So, I poked and prodded a little with my son in the drivers seat watching the lights... I can get the EML light to shut off by pushing on some of the wires (not hard, I don't want to break anything). I think it's the transmission module making the noise and that has the wire issue, but I'm not sure.... however I believe I'm on the right track now.
spyderwire

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by spyderwire »

So... Ya, there's a fan in that compartment at the bottom of up pointing up towards the modules. Hey, at least I know it works. The TCM however... I pulled it out and in nice black sharpie it says "original". At that very moment... I thought to myself "F*@k"! I had two wires in there that were crimped by the black cover, a blue one and an orange one. It seems that whoever closed the cover last didn't pay attention to if they were squishing wires. I think I may have found my issue. How do I check this, or is this something that has to be strictly taken care of by a dealer?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

That issue may well be the cause. But it needs dealing with anyway.

If you aren’t happy selecting the correct type of cable and soldering a new section in then just call a reliable auto electrician. It’s probably what the BMW dealer will do if you take it there.
ImageImage
spyderwire

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by spyderwire »

Luckily I think it will be pretty easy, I should be able to pull the wires and the connectors from the body of the housing, separate the wires from the connectors, cut the wires above the crimped sections, and then insert the ends into the connectors, and then put those back into the body of the housing. Then I can connect it back to the TCM and see what it does... No soldering needed.
spyderwire

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by spyderwire »

Well, did that, and there was no change. The change (yes there was one) was when I killed a spider crawling across the top of my gauge cluster. I smashed it with malice (I hate spiders) and the lights went away. So, to check it... I smacked the top of the dash again, lights back on. Another smack, lights off... smack, lights on, then again, and lights off. I think I may have narrowed down where the issue is. I don't know if it is one hell of a coincidence or not, but then I drove the car and the lights came on... smack... lights off, and haven't been back on all night. So, next tear down, the cluster.......
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Cluster electrical problems have cropped up from time to time. There are a few possibilities - it could be a loose multiplug; chafing to the wiring leading up to the cluster; a dry joint or crack in one of the conductors on the PCB.

I have had an intermittent problem with mine for many years whereby the none of gauges will work. This happens once or twice a year, so is almost impossible to trace. It seems to be that the cluster detects a fault and shuts down the gauges to protect them. The rest of the cluster works fine and the car still records mileage correctly. To get it back I need to turn it off, remove the key and wait until the immobiliser cuts back in - 30 secs to a minute - and everything is fine again. I don't get any warning lights, so it is likely to a slightly different problem to yours.

I'd pop the cluster out and have a good look at the connectors and the wiring leading to them. When you reassemble make sure the multiplugs go in firmly. If that doesn't fix it, I'd start looking at the cluster itself.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc