BMW Z3 1.9 M44 - Induction System - Suction Pipe

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
joneseric

Z3 roadster 2.8

BMW Z3 1.9 M44 - Induction System - Suction Pipe

Post by joneseric »

It’s me again, has anyone replaced the induction system suction pipe, Part No. 13711743351 with an alternative item. The pipe, which is a foam assembly runs from the left hand side cold air air take up and over the radiator viscous fan shroud and into the air-filter box. Mine has rotted away.

Thanks in advance

Eric
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: BMW Z3 1.9 M44 - Induction System - Suction Pipe

Post by mrscalex »

Yes they do get rough. A tasty £110 for a new one.

Sorry no ideas. Will be interested to hear myself.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
joneseric

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by joneseric »

I am looking at ducting pipe and fabricating a replacement with vibration joints at either end. I think the insulation is for noise reduction, i would not have thought it was to help to keep the air cool. The intake is alongside the radiator and the pipe routes over the fan shroud, therefore it is unlikely to be a thermal insulation. I may be wrong.

I will post some pictures when I get home and into my workshop.

E
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Can you make a replacement from PVC drainpipe and fittings? I know, it's not the same thing, but I made a better air intake for my 2.8 from 70 mm rain water pipe, and after spraying it matt black is could be original.

It may be possible to make a pipe which picks up air frm a better place than the original - mine draws from in front of the radiator - have a look on the Z3 Knowledgebase - 'Better intake for a Z3' or something like that, on the first couple of pages.

Alternatively try a breaker.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
joneseric

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by joneseric »

Hi Mike, yes I did read your excellent article on the knowledge base. I am currently working a design to pick-up next to the RHS front fog lamp, or that area. At the moment the pipe is off and the car seems to running better. However that feeling can be almost phycosematic in nature.

I will photograph the work and if deemed to be a success post on the forum for info.

Thanks

Eric