Another Central Locking question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Another Central Locking question

Post by wonderloaf »

First up, apologies for yet another question about central locking, I think I've read just about every posting on the internet about this and am trying to narrow my problem down and am hoping somebody can answer a question for me.

I've done all the usual things ... repaired the boot loom, replaced actuators etc. Even had the locking working faultlessly for a couple of weeks, then it stops suddenly. When I press the open/close buttons on the remote I can hear (and even feel) all the actuators trying to work so am assuming the problem is a mechanical one somewhere.

What I have noticed is that the drivers door lock seems to be binding slightly even though I've lubricated and tried to adjust it, so I'm wondering if there is too much resistance for the actuator to overcome. I've also noted that with the driver door open I can't lock the door by pressing the lock button down, although I can on the passenger door.

So my question is: should I be able to press the lock button down with the driver door open? I am wondering if this is a symptom of too much resistance in the door lock mechanism so may be a new lock is needed.

I'd be really grateful if somebody could answer this for me!

TIA, wonderloaf
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Another Central Locking question

Post by Robert T »

I'd have to go check on mine to be certain, but if my memory serves, the driver's door will not lock whilst it is open, either with the remote or the button. This is a measure to prevent you locking the keys in the car, or worse, leaving them in the ignition and accidentally locking the car with the engine running!

Regarding the stiffness, how does it feel when you use the key?

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Another Central Locking question

Post by wonderloaf »

Hi Robert, good point well made, obvious really (but not to me :dunce: )!

When I use the key it feels OK, but if open the door and push the latch back ( as though it was locked) and turn the key or use the door lever it doesn't spring open immediately, it needs a bit of help from yours truly and I can feel it 'graunching'. However doing the same on the passenger door using the door lever and the latch springs open immediately with a nice 'click' .

When I took the lock mechanism out to change the actuator I thought it felt a bit iffy, I'm pondering getting a 2nd hand one from ebay but could end up with one just as bad!

Thanks for the reply guess I'm going to be trying another lock, but need to get the old girl through the MOT next week first .....
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport