Aerial fell apart!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Aerial fell apart!

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

Hi guys, the other day the wife came home in the car and I noticed the aerial was missing from the back! I had a closer look, nothing was ever loose, it would appear the rubber has failed and literally sheered away! I managed to get the aerial base unit out and apart to see where the fail was, it would appear to be on the top portion (nipple) where the external aerial screws into. This seems to be a fairly common part to fail.... the only thing is looking online these parts seem like hens teeth and cost just as much! Its only the top part that needs replaced, i'm just wondering what anyone else has done if they have been through this before!

Thanks in advance!
Chris

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Aerial fell apart!

Post by colb »

Common problem, that small wire is soldered to the metal threaded top portion you are missing, looks like a repair would be difficult if you managed to find a replacement, best seek out a replacement from one of the breakers on here. Fit a new rubber grommit whilst you are at it as well.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I can help with a replacement if you PM me.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Agammemnon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Agammemnon »

I also have one if needed.