Broken Coolant Top Hose Flange

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Broken Coolant Top Hose Flange

Post by dazthephot »

Hi all,
had a bit of an accident at the weekend. Doing a normal oil service i got the oil filter cap spanner stuck on the top so i thought it would be good to use a screwdriver to pry it off. Wrong! I was levering it against the coolant top hose flange which had become very brittle over time and all of a sudden gave way and what followed was an explosion of scolding coolant!!!
Luckily i wasn't scolded but could easily have been. So to my question - as the engine had been run hot to make the oil change easy i've probably lost about 500ml to a litre of coolant and i will be replacing the flange. Will i need to bleed the radiator again after top up or can i just fit the new part and carry on? The radiator level didn't seem that low when i looked but i suppose it's because it was red hot?

Also those bloody oil filter cap spanners are rubbish, does anyone use anything different? I have the 2000 plate 1.9

Cheers
Daz
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Broken Coolant Top Hose Flange

Post by Tufarlian »

Probably wisest to bleed the system. Not only will you have lost coolant it will be open when you replace the flange so likely to get air in there.

For oil filter removal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-S ... ilter.TRS0

Mark
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Tufarlian wrote:Probably wisest to bleed the system. Not only will you have lost coolant it will be open when you replace the flange so likely to get air in there.

For oil filter removal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-S ... ilter.TRS0

Mark
Thanks Mark much appreciated. I’ll top up and bleed as suggested then get a new oil filter nut thingy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Make sure you have the heater switch on the console turned to "HOT" when you bleed, so that the valve to the heater matrix is in the open position to allow the heated water to pass through the system fully.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Ah **** I knew I’d forgot something. I bled it today after fitting the new flange but didn’t put the heater control to hot. It was half way. It bled ok but I might do it again tomorrow, the fan still came in and the temp settled at half way and there wasn’t any leaks but best to be safe.

Cheers Southernboy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro