French Speed Limits

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

French Speed Limits

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I live in France, yet was unaware that the 90 kph speed limit on single-carraigeway roads has, from 1 July, been reduced to 80 kph!

On my return from the UK last week I noticed that some of the 90 kph signs have been replaced by 80 kph, but do not assume that all 90 kph signs mean what they say! With only 2 kph tolerance on modern speed cameras, a holiday could be expensive, as I am told that the UK has quietly signed the cross-border policing agreement - does anyone have definitive information on this?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: French Speed Limits

Post by colb »

Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Has anyone ever heard of a Brit being prosecuted under this agreement? I would think it would merit a banner headline in the Daily Mail, to the effect that the government have allowed those awful foriegners to persecute British who are merely enjoying their holidays!
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, really surprised that you haven’t heard about the new 80kph limit. The French have been protesting about it since it was proposed.
The only roads effected are the A roads that are sigle carriage way.
There is still no mechanism for the French to put points on an Uk liscence but they can still fine you at the roadside if your unlucky to get caught.
Trying to keep to 80kph is hard work and seems to be a cash cow move.
H
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I guess I am a bit of a recluse, as I do not watch French TV - it is ghastly - or read newspapers - not even the English-language ones! I think I had better start taking more notice of what is going on!

They (and most other EU states) can still fine you at home via DVLA, and the French can take away notional licence points for offences in France, so that if stopped for a 'papers please' check and their database shows that you have less than zero points, you cannot drive in France - with immediate effect. You may also be charged with driving without a valid licence or insurance.

I was very surprised that there were no warning signs in either the Dover of Calais ferryports, which would have been sensible.

Not all French departments approve of this speed limit, as most crashes take place in and around cities, Aquitane for example has refused to enforce it, although some adjacent departments are putting up 80 kph signs.

We will probably find that whoever was behind this policy has a brother who manufactures speed limit signs . . .
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

This drop in speed limit from 90 to 80 kph on single carriageways is officially aimed to reduce the number of road casualties, and should be reviewed in a couple of years. But we all know what that means: more fines, so more money! And no chance of going back to 90kph...
Indeed, sticking to 80 is actually hard work, all-the-more so that some A-roads can have an occasional third lane, meaning that travelling on the 2 lanes is limited to 90, whereas the opposite direction is limited to 80! And as it (very stupidly) is a nationwide regulation, there is no obligation to indicate or remind you of the speed limit.
Good luck keeping a clean licence!

Boosh.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

At least the French do not view ordinary speeding as being a baby killer etc etc.

If the speed limit is more than 50 kph, and you are not breaking it by more than 20 kph, the fine is 65 euros (reduced to 45 for payment within a fortnight) and one point off your licence, which is returned after a year without further infractions. It is then only counted if you comment a gross offence within the next two years.
Z3crazy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Z3crazy »

I think it would be nice if someone came to the house of every car owner and calibrated the odometers to show the actual correct speed :D

Speed cameras might very wel have a 2Kph tolerance but my speedometer certainly doesn't and neither does anybody elses. More like 5%. In fact some counties allow a 10% difference between shown and real speed. Here in Holland they take 3-4 kph off to account for deviation.

You can check this if you have a really good satnav that shows your current speed. Very few cars will match up.

Dave
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Z3 1.9 2000, Cosmos Schwartz
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Speedos in modern cars are actually pretty accurate. They are normally set up to overread by a certain amount, thus guaranteeing that you will not be exceeding the speed limit if the needle is showing at the limit. My zed (and many others on this forum judging by previous posts on the subject) reads about 5% higher than your actual speed. There has to be some leeway as tyres lose about 1cm in diameter over their lifetime.

UK speed cameras used to be set to 10% over the speed limit plus 2 mph. Thus you have to be doing 57 mph to get a ticket in a 50 mph limit. This was to account for older cars which could read +/- 10%. The speedo on my Sprite has always been pretty good, but I drove one that waggled between 50 and 70 when doing 60 mph!

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc