Door speakers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Door speakers

Post by Rodent »

I took the door card off my 2001 z3 2.2 m sport. There is 2 spaces for speakers at the top of the door but only 1 small tweeter was present. There was a mount for a slightly larger speaker slightly forward of the tweeter but no speaker present.. is this normal or am I missing speakers?
Thanks
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Door speakers

Post by Robert T »

Normal. There were 3 different speaker setups on the Z3, so they made one door card which will accommodate them all. I remember seeing a thread with someone upgrading the tweeters with some orangey ones. Worth hunting out if you want details on upgrade options.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Real OEM shows three types of stereo system available for your model and year
Bog standard stereo only has tweeter in door, Hifi system and Harmon Kardon HiFi systems had an mid range speaker in the door with the tweeter. If you have space for the Mid range speakers but nothing there then you have the bog standard system
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=65_0286
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Other than the 2 small speakers under the 1/4 light window that's all there is on the door.
If you want to improve the quality / volume you can remove the trim in the foot wells and shove lots of foam rubber around, behind etc those speakers. You're losing a heap of sound through the thin steel body skin... nice for pedestrians, but pretty much useless to you...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions