M Tec 2 steering wheel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zippy181054

M roadster S52

M Tec 2 steering wheel

Post by Zippy181054 »

I am thinking of changing my stock M Tech steering wheel from my M Roadster to a M Tech 2, does anybody know if it's a straight replacement?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: M Tec 2 steering wheel

Post by Southernboy »

The M Tech II wheel has no airbag, so you'll need to sort that out within the car's systems to avoid issues.
Also, these wheels were fitted to the E30's and subsequent models including 5 series cars. Your existing slip ring may or may not fit to the wheel, or the slip ring which perhaps comes with the wheel may not fit your car.
There were M Tech II wheel fitted to some E36 cars, but from what I gather on the net, it's like rocking horse ....
I was somewhat surprised to see the price these wheels fetch - I guess the 380mm - 385mm D is the main driver of pricing other than the style.
Perhaps before you buy, ask for the part number of the part from the seller, and then check if it's interchangeable on the Z3.
You can also ask for some good close up pics of the back side of the wheel and check the hub onto which the slip ring fits - assuming there isn't one fitted. If there is one fitted, then it is quite apparent by looking at a pic if it has the same 3 screws, and the same odd shape at the center where it attaches onto the hub. You might want to remove your wheel and take a pic so you can compare.
The airbag issue can be easily sorted by putting a 2.2ohm resistor on the line that would normally attach to the airbag behind the hooter pad. This fools the management system into ticking it off as "working correctly".... and don't forget the little brown "ground" wire too.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Zippy181054

M roadster S52

Post by Zippy181054 »

Blimey! Thanks for the reply, it looks like a bit of a stab in the dark as to whether or not it will fit the car. The prices are pretty high but one has been advertised on EBay re covered, I might just stick with mine if nothing More than the safety feature of the airbag.

Many thanks again for the in depth response

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You're welcome... I t isn't apparent at first that there is no airbag on those wheels, so I guess it's a better idea to stick with the original wheel.
"Normal is overrated"

petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

The first thing I did when I bought my second Z3 M Coupe was change the steering wheel as the rim was just TOO thin. I'd previously been driving a BMW E46 M3 for 3 years so was spoilt by the feel of the M3 steering wheel.
Did an exchange with Jack at Royal Wheels and got a refurbished wheel with a much thicker rim, totally transforms the driving experience.
Worth thinking about as no problems with airbags etc. My indy swapped the wheels in 20mins.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It's a solution to the thickness of the wheel to have it re-covered, but one is still left with the somewhat large diameter wheel - 420mm - which I believe is the main issue with the OEM wheel.
"Normal is overrated"

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The wheel is thick in my Z4M and when I drive the Z3M you realise how thin the rim really is, after a few minutes it’s forgotten.

I don’t mind the wheel in the Z3M re thickness and diameter.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Zippy181054

M roadster S52

Post by Zippy181054 »

Yes I know, I will probably get mine recovered as opposed to changing, seems the simpler option