New rear window fitting?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

New rear window fitting?

Post by Warrior »

The canvas surrounding the rear window on Zeddie is parting company with the plastic window surround. No leaks, just looks a little untidy on one corner.

I see from a YouTube video that this is normally held in place with double sided tape so I have a couple of questions.

Any ideas where to get the tape? A quick repair being my first option.

The existing rear screen is hazy and despite a few attempts to clean may be best replaced. With this in mind i've found this company in Germany who sell here in the UK via Ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Conve ... XQLk1REKfP

Has anybody purchased from these guys? The complete hoods they supply are said to be BMW Originals so guessing they know their stuff. The link is to one that has a black tint. Is this normal for an OEM window?

Finally. The process of replacement seems quite simple if the video is anything to go buy. Fact or fiction?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: New rear window fitting?

Post by colb »

Good guide in old post on here with pictures
viewtopic.php?t=32799
Not sure about the tape, job not for the feint hearted its all to do with lining up the zip at the start to get it in as it should go.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

NIce one, thanks Colb :thumb:
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Replacing the rear window is not exactly rocket science, it's just a real test of patience. I did it with a friend a couple of years ago, and it took us a few tries to get it right. What is frustrating is that being off by one tooth in the zip will force you to do it again. My advice is to mark two opposite teeth on the zip, close to the starting end, and count the offset, as a reference for the next attempt. Then move one in reference to the other (since the zip in the hood doesn't move) according to how it went.
The job could take minutes or hours... And of course, those with roll bars will require an chiropractor appointment afterwards!
Good luck,

Boosh.
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

The German window is good, although I found I couldn't get the clamps to close off the zip, every time I used them it pushed the zips open again...I had to stitch it shut.
As far as the canvas is concerned, use a butter knife or rounded spatula to run the canvas back under the beading...you can seal it with a dab of silicone sealant rather than tape...(put the sealant under the canvas before you push it under the beading
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

1st try will take about 45mins then about 30 mins start to finish after that...luck plays a huge part with this...