Pre facelift to post face lift conversion.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
jcj1792

Z3 roadster 1.9

Pre facelift to post face lift conversion.

Post by jcj1792 »

Hey all, I was wondering what parts besides the rear fenders, are needed to have the widebody look on the rear? Do I need trunk lid too? And what about the bumper?
Juvvajuvva

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Pre facelift to post face lift conversion.

Post by Juvvajuvva »

Hi,
You have to cut out the entire rear panel that holds the rear lights in place as the pattern for where your lights bolt on and the bulbs go through are different.
I have a panel new in the box.
jcj1792

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jcj1792 »

Yikes, sounds like a 'down the road' project haha. I'll just stick to changing colors for now. But thank you very much!

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you have a narrowbody (pre-facelift 4 pot), then the conversion to widebody (pre-facelift 6 pot) is much simpler, as only the rear quarter panels and sill covers are different.

As said, to go to facelift involves lots of work, as the boot lid and light clusters are different, and it really isn't worth the effort.

If you do go the pre-facelift widebody route, then the 4 pot rear axle is the same width as the one on the ///M and you can fit deep dish rear alloys.

There are a number of threads on here with more detail where people have attempted this in the past.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
jcj1792

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jcj1792 »

I'm not sure then if the donor car is pre or post facelift. It's a 2000 6 pot model. All i was trying to convert from it is the rear fenders because of their asthetical difference.

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Why bother? The pre-facelit wings look better anyway, unless you fit wider wheels and tyres, which may not improve the handling as much as people may tell you. The 1.9 is probably the best-handling of all Z3s, with 50 pounds less engine weight than the sixes, and everything behind the axle line

You may also have problems with your insurer in the event of a claim. It is a lot of effort for nothing except ruining the appearance! The facelift wings will not make your 1.9 look like an M Roadster, and frankly will look rather pathetic. BMW's press release claimed that they were 'Thrusting and muscular,' which sounds like a Golden Hamster on heat . . .

Spend the money instead on having a good cylinder head job, and a couple of Kent 312R camshafts, or a new hood and a new radiator as preventive measures.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
jcj1792

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jcj1792 »

I am indeed running the m sport staggered wheels/tires atm . I just happen to like the subtle difference between the top portion of the fenders.

(Also) I am running the StrongStrut "Trilogy" Package and absolutely love the handling improvement provided. Currently have fr 225/45/17 and rr 245/40/17 tires. Would like to run 235/40/17 up front though.Image