2.2i air intake assembly

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

2.2i air intake assembly

Post by thomasbrown92 »

Hi folks,

Hope you're all keeping safe and well and enjoying the better weather with those roofs down!

Quick question on the air intake assembly on my 2.2i. I'm looking to replace the rubber intake boot that connects from the MAF to the intake manifold (the one with the breather hose socket) as preventative maintenance and note this also joins an extension of the airbox underneath - appears to be just some sort of muffler/resonator box as no sensors or filtration elements contained. Any idea what this is and will it cause any long-term damage or air/fuel issues if removed?

Many thanks,

Tom
Tom
2001 BMW Z3 2.2 Hellrot Red
2018 BMW 420d M Sport Gran Coupé [F36] Black Sapphire Metallic
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: 2.2i air intake assembly

Post by LaRy »

If it is similar to the one I have for my 2.8l, the purpose use to be to suck in cold fresh air. Not warm air from under the hood. Cold air is offering a little more horse power.
thomasbrown92

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: 2.2i air intake assembly

Post by thomasbrown92 »

LaRy wrote: Mon 26 Apr, 2021 18:42 If it is similar to the one I have for my 2.8l, the purpose use to be to suck in cold fresh air. Not warm air from under the hood. Cold air is offering a little more horse power.
Thanks for the quick reply! On inspection, there would still be cold air passing through as nothing extra exposed to heat from the engine bay, if this box is removed. The main air box containing the panel air filter is still connected.
Tom
2001 BMW Z3 2.2 Hellrot Red
2018 BMW 420d M Sport Gran Coupé [F36] Black Sapphire Metallic