Do Z3's Generally Attract Negative Reactions

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Do Z3's Generally Attract Negative Reactions

Post by risquenun »

I have owned my Z3 now for nearly 2 months.
I previously drove a mint Mercedes 300 coupe and before that an Audi A4 2.8 Quattro.
My wife has recently owned a Mercedes A190 (In black with 45 series big alloys) and currently a 3 year old 1.8 Mazda MX5.
We have never experienced aggressive behaviour from other motorists -in fact my wife who is very attractive usually gets attention of a different sort from men when in her MX5 and children are always calling out 'nice car' or similar to her.
2 weeks after getting my Z3 someone got down the side of our property into the carport and scratched the wing with a sharp piece of metal (having ignored the 5 other cars parked in the way).
In the last week alone when driving with the hood down my wife has been called a f******g bitch by a black lad of about 14 standing on the footpath, I have been cut up by an idiot overtaking me on a double white line system and every Chav in the universe wants to race us off the lights.
Why does this 6 year old car (with no model designation)seem to attract such negative emotion and do other forum members find they get the same reaction.
This Orinoco doesn't Womble.
Rodders

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Rodders »

I havent had anything like that, in fact quite the opposite particulary from the youngsters.

The only thing i think is strange is people always comment on the expensive car, which i find amazing mine is 5 years old and cost about 11k(not mega expensive by at all). Yet never get any comments on our brand new 3 series which costs double or our previous jeep which was 3 time more expensive.
I guess its cos there arent loads of them about.

Sounds as if they have a touch of the green eyed monster. :mrgreen:

Find out who it was and hit them with a "widow maker" , someone has to keep these scrotes in line :devil:
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

:shock: Its shocking to hear your getting that sort of response.. I would however put it down to alot of Jealousy, I did used to get Chavs and kids trying to race me all the time, but I think its because its an easily recognised Sports car in their eyes, and they can then brag to their mates..
I never used to race them, so I suppose that used to wind them up..

There may be some of the anti- BMW mentality/stereotypres in there as well :evil:

garyw
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

i get a lot of chavs in there clio,s etc,wanting a little race,i always let them go past,i know i can thrash them do i dont bother,never had any damage done,as i have cctv on my house anyway,plus its in the garage,most blokes do know what an m is,and generally want to look in the bonnet,i charge them a £5 a time :D :D
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Never had the problems you mention - other than the BMW stigma as Gary mentions, where people are reluctant to let you out in traffic or whatever.

I find that there aren't enough people who want to race me. Where can I find these "Chav's", sounds like fun :wink:
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Kenny

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kenny »

I find Trucks & Taxi drivers to be the worst..It's a BMW thing..
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Reaction to Z3

Post by 100GRA »

Touch wood, but I would say that by and large I get more positive reaction than negative.

My 2.8 is now six and a half years old, but I've had it from new and it still looks like new! Unless it's actually raining, the hood is down (I'm lucky enought to only use it in summer). Scruffy kids on street corners give me the thumbs up and shout "nice car, mister," and more mature bystanders and other drivers often give a wave and a thumbs up.

My wife even had a "Nice car, Madam" from a copper on a bike while she was parked at lights in Malton.

I think it's something to do with the retro styling of the Z3 that people find appealing - I honestly don't think we would get the same reaction in a Z4

I do get the boy racers trying to push me from behind, but I just let them come past. I know it's a bit smug, perhaps, but I take the view that they've got something to prove, while I haven't, so I let them get on with it. Whatever makes them happy!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Risque.

Sorry about your experiences. I can only imagine that you've been really unlucky, especially with the car port incident.

It's worth noting that car insurance is sometimes more expensive if you keep your car in a car port than leaving it on the road. It's hidden away out of sight, but access is not prevented like a garage.

I know it's really hard not to take it personally, but I'm sure it's just a jealous spiteful thing. BMs are generally considered 'expensive' and two seater rag tops are seen as a luxury, which gives 'the great unwashed' their justification for jeering you.

It obviously doesn't cross their minds that a little hard work can achieve much, and with a bit of honest graft, they too could legally own such a reward.

Nil illegitimum carborundum.

A.
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

Well I can say that I have always had a positive reaction in my Z3. Though maybe its the colour, you don't see that many in Sterling Grey.

I always find that at junctions I get let out by older women, and young asian lads with their flashy modified motors - never when driving my Black Corsa. Got pulled over by the Police once in a dodgy area of Tamworth, to be told I had a nice car, just checking it belonged to me!

Sometimes get raced off traffic lights by the boy racers, but then I'l let them if its not National Speed limit. Had a guy in a Nissan (with huge exhaust) race me off every traffic light along a stretch of the A38. I let him go in front each time till we got to a roundabout before a dual carriageway, then after we exited, I floored it and pulled past him. He managed to keep up with me for all of 10 seconds before there were clouds of very black smoke coming from behind him, and I saw him pull over on to the verge - whoops. :lol:
www.PCandMacIT.com

Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
AussieZ3

M roadster S54

Post by AussieZ3 »

Alfie wrote:Risque.
'the great unwashed'
A.
:roflmao: :roflmao:
chr15athome

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by chr15athome »

Clios are great at the lights, they all want to race you. I give them a couple of feet head start and then kick there arses. I once raced a porche Boxster on the A1 and thrashed it. The guy came off at the same exit as me and we stopped next to each other at the lights. He couldn't understand how I managed to beat him, he thought I had a debadged Z3M? but its only a 2.2i.
We used to live in an empire rum by an emporer, a kingdom run by a king, now we live in a country...
pdm

M roadster S54

Post by pdm »

No I tend to find that the Z3MR attracts positive attension - especially from women. My previous car - Basalt Black Porsche 996 cab 2000yr - did attract positive attention from "some blokes" as you'll always get some green eyed tossers.

Funnily enough women just didn't seem to like the Porsche at all...full stop. Well that was the feedback from my girlfriend at the time and a couple of mates. No idea why as they're blindin cars. The rear of a 911 is best by far. Front is so so...
Kenny

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kenny »

Must admit to noticing a difference with attitude with changing from my z to an E46 M3. The worst being
Country road..behind a van which was throwing chips out his window followed by the whole supper..just as I was thinking to overtake he decided to swerve accross the other side of the road.. I didn't take the bait. When I returned home I noticed white ash over the front of my car reckon he had emptied his cig. tray too... :head:

Hmm!!!
foxy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by foxy »

I get comments like "have you won the lottery" etc... I paid £8k for my second hand Z3 which really isnt that much so cant understand that comment.

I, like everyone else seems to, get raced off the lights by the boy racers, but being one myself (well a girl one) I know most of them :roll:

Have certainly had no bad comments, been called a "pimp mobile" but thats about it. Most people round by me have similar standard cars so there isnt (touch wood) any major problems at night with thugs and luckily have had none of my shiny bits stolen :)
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Sorry to hear about the car scratching incident risquenun, and the verbal insults your wife has been receiving. :evil: Such are the a**holes we have on our streets.

With the exception of some hand signals (by jealous folk, obviously) I haven't had anything shouted at or after me in my Zed--yet, anyway. I have had truck drivers try and intimidate me on the road though, by squeezing their way in, etc. That's unavoidable in a small car.

I've only had one traffic light sprint encounter, with a 145 Cloverleaf. Just stayed ahead of him in my 2.0, which was nice as they are pretty quick machines. :)

Like many people who have responded above, I get the "nice car mate" from 10 year old kids, passing car passengers looking longingly - which I love - and the odd positive remark from other motorists.

But I know my Zed isn't as stand-out-ish as others on the road that I've seen. Oxford green is subdued (while still arguably the most metallic colour in the range), and my car hasn't been mod'ed in any way--it still runs on its 5 spoke factory fitted alloys. I think if it were Dakar Yellow, or Brilliant Red, or Fidji green it might attract unfavourable attention.

Half of the problem is that its a BMW and you always hear "bloody BMW driver, think he owns the road!" and similar remarks. But as BMW roadster/sports car drivers we are hated all the more. It's jealousy and the absence of knowing what it is like to work hard for something that leads these degenerates to damage and ridicule our cars and us.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

I agree with every comment about A. winning the lottery B. have I sold my soul but the worst one that has been thrown at me is ARE you a drug dealer, I can only assume as with others that the styling and small minority of Z's about adds a certain money factor when not knowing much about them.

Do get far more pleasurable messages from kids and a few older people when in petrol stations or car parks though, Last comment was Monday night as I got out my car at the shops 2 girls walked past not very old and 1 whispered to the other I LOVE THAT CAR lol which I thought was nice. Also although the lads at work take the Mick at work for being a hairdressers car they've all admitted out of all the 2 seater sports cars the Z'd would be the one they would have.

Now for the Negatives, Yes many many boy racers wanting a race and smashing hell out of there engines or making mad over taking stances just to make a point but as all others can't be bothered unless however the only time it's a nice empty winding road then it's much more fun it might not be so quick on the straights as some toyboy matchbox cars but hey corners make it everything,have had a few rather negative finger gestures when cutting the corners ( obviously no cars on opposite direction ) even when driving very respectfully theres been a few hand signals last remembered was a works transit for no reason what so ever but roof was down and I had the shades on so I put it down to jealousy , as for damage have had the rear screen slashed :( and what guts me is they had to jump a six foot fence to do it.
God gave me Taste, BMW made the Z3. It's not a girls car, It's a Mans car in Drag !!
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Had an egg thrown at the car a few years back when BMW sold Rover - mind you I was near Longbridge at the time . I believe it was yobs rather than Rover workers who were very courteous even when I was driving around Longbridge.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
miketheman2k

Not specified

Post by miketheman2k »

No one likes a flash BMW, except the owner :roll:

I had my 1998 2.8 keyed twice in 3 months, in a supposedly up-market village....

One Sunday afternoon I was pulling out of my road, on to a 30 limit. As soon as I got up to 30, this Freelander roars up behind me, flashing his lights, so I stayed at 30, and this idiot overtook. At the next roundabout, he pulls over and proceeds to get out of his car! Since I wasn't a member of fightclub, I decided to speed off up the road. Unbelievably this guy jumps back into his car, and gives chase. I end up speeding through Milton Keynes at 90mph+ trying the loose the mentalist who's trying to kill me, eventually managing to get away when he overtook me, I doubled back into a residential estate...and no, I didn't stick to 30 :|

I phoned the police, who told me I had to come into the station to report it. I went into the station, and they told me I had to fill in a 'pack' that would be sent to me. It never got sent, and this nutcase is probably still roaming the streets. It was not a fun experience, and I'm just glad that I had a 2.8 that day.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

I seem to attract a lot of "Nice Car!" comments from Kids, and then if they're rougher kids, "Oi you, give me a lift!" or "You stole my car!" kind of comments which I usually just laugh off.

Every, and I mean EVERY single chavvy car round here tries it on and motorways seem to be a magnet for them!

In fact, my father borrowed the car the other week to go to Manchester while I was borrowing his car, and he said - "I see what you mean now about everyone wanting to try it on with you."

Generally quite a positive effect, however, what I don't paticulary like is my mates saying while we're out "Yeah, he (points at me) drives a sporty BMW convertible," at which point the "Heavy Machinery" google eyed mate of the fit bird takes an interest.. :head:
636mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 636mick »

When we bought the Z most of my neighbours commented about where the money had come from. Its a common misconception that second hand Z's are worth upwards of £20k, and who am i to tell people different!!!

The wife gets a lot of comments about the car from workmates, especially with the number on it that says her name, her boss still wonders how we can afford it.

Had a few comments from chav types, mostly positive, but i seem to meet a lot of idiots who want to race, also dont get let out into traffic as much as i do in my Saab or works van. If the wife is driving everybody wants to let her pull out!!

Did a 40 mile motorway trip recently, roof down as it was a nice day, had a moron in a vectra who kept overtaking, then slowing so i was forced to go round him, then he'd overtake and slow again. Eventually i floored it and he disappeared, and mines only a 2.0.

To be honest i dont care much about other peoples feelings, when im in the car i do feel special and i feel important, and i love it.

Mick
Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

I get 99 percent postive comments, might get the odd smartass, but you know, they are just jealous cos the ladies love me car!:P
Andre_Z_3000
2000 Arctic White z3

M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Oxford_gruen_II wrote: I've only had one traffic light sprint encounter, with a 145 Cloverleaf. Just stayed ahead of him in my 2.0, which was nice as they are pretty quick machines. :)
That is good going as I used to own a 145QV and they are much quicker than the 155bhp suggests.. however off the line they do tend to spin away a lot of their power in front wheelspin so your rwd Zed should always have the advantage.
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

Interesting thread - I haven't had any vandalism problems but I'm very careful where the car is parked. Having said that, the car was keyed before I bought it - went to see it at the dealer, liked it and was thinking about it, came back to buy to find it had been keyed in the interim (dealer was using it as a personal car).

I do find if I drive the car through other less affluent cities (like Hamilton) I'll get negative reactions as if I'm some flashy git. Our local versions of 'chavs' like to try it on all the time, often in ludicrously mismatched cars (1.3L Toyota Corolla's with giant exhausts etc) - often wonder if it is because most of them can't tell the difference between a 1.9 and the 6 cylinder versions and think they'll have a go. And it probably doesn't help that mine has 18" wheels and a few non standard fittings etc that probably attract the boy racer crowd a bit more.

Bad road manners etc is one of my pet hates - I've driven a lot of small cars and it really annoys me that drivers of larger cars/4WDs feel that they can attempt to intimidate me or push me around/cut me off/yell unwarranted abuse from the safety of their car (funny thing is, when I get out of my small car to speak to the driver of the SUV etc their attitude changes - I'm 6'5" and was a pub doorman for 10 years here in NZ and in London and am not inclined to let people get away with acting unfairly without making a polite query). Never been able to understand why it is some drivers think that it is somehow appropriate to act in a rude manner just because they are behind the wheel as opposed to everyday interaction.
slickster22

M roadster S50

Post by slickster22 »

The first day I bought mine I was stuck in a traffic jam with the roof down and a load of blokes in some car behind started throwing peanuts and laughing. I just ignored them and waited for the lights to change before driving off as if nothing had happened. Really I would have liked to have got out and kicked 7 bells out of them but it was my first soft top and I felt a bit exposed and I would have probably come off worse. Nothing but appreciative comments and smiles for the next eight months. Now got a 320d with a real roof - much safer. :)
JoeB

Porsche

Post by JoeB »

I never had anyof those problems with my ///M but I am getting them with the Porsche :(
Joe
pdm

M roadster S54

Post by pdm »

JoeB: I never had anyof those problems with my ///M but I am getting them with the Porsche
I knew it wasn't just me...
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

JoeB wrote:I never had anyof those problems with my ///M but I am getting them with the Porsche :(
Sorry to hear that Joe.
Maybe it's becuase when people see a gleaming 997 there is no doubt it's a few bobs worth.
I mean... that's good enough reason to give the owner a few problems ain't it :x
Can you believe people. Such peasants would be too busy being green or whatever, to go make the money to get one. What problems have you been getting ?
As a kid, whenever I saw a nice car, I just thought it was something to admire & to strive for.
I've heard the occasional kid say 'great car mate' & I give them a smile.
Then the other day I heard a teenager mumbling 'hairdresser's car'.
Oh well, I guess that's what decides whether it's a 'great car' or a 'hairdresser's car'.... about five years difference in age of the person saying it.
I think I must still be a kid though, becuase I think it's a great car :)
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

JoeB, but do you now find, no-one wants to go for it off the lights... :twisted: (apart from TVR's)
Its quite strange that the Porsche club organise quite a few displays at public events and the cars are shown off to the "great unwashed"(still luv that :wink: ) and people leave them alone and speak nicely and the usual oohs and ahhs, but on the open road there really the opposite...and if you ever drive in the BMW lane...... :? :lol:

garyw
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

garyw wrote:but on the open road there really the opposite...and if you ever drive in the BMW lane...... :? :lol:
garyw
:lol:
Of course in reality it seems, the outside lane appears to be more the place for slothful lane hoggers who are the most infuriating people on the roads :x
Sitting in the ouside lane & being in the way of other drivers by failing to keep left when not overtaking, is thing I've never seen a BMW driver being guilty of :wink:
Wish those unmarked cars would pull over more on those infuriating ****'s.
Last edited by Robin on Fri 30 Sep, 2005 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Robin wrote: As a kid, whenever I saw a nice car, I just thought it was something to admire & to strive for. I've heard the occasional kid say 'great car mate' & I give them a smile. Then the other day I heard a teenager mumbling 'hairdresser's car'. Oh well, I guess that's what decides whether it's a 'great car' or a 'hairdresser's car'.... about five years difference in age of the person saying it. I think I must still be a kid though, becuase I think it's a great car :)
Add a Zeemax or Hamman kit etc and the kids love it.. 8-)

Z8 the daddy tho.. and I doubt anyone would have a bad word to say about it..
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

M Blur wrote: Z8 the daddy tho.. and I doubt anyone would have a bad word to say about it..
Naaa.. They'd probably say... 'Look at that slightly larger hairdresser's car' :lol:
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Yeah, Clarkson loves them. :roll:

garyw
CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

Im sorry to say that My Zed was keyed badly accross the fron wing the first week I bought it... :evil:

Lucky my good friend is a sprayer! :P

Having said that Ive had a good few cars keyed in the past, I think its just a low life jelousy thing. Lets make the rich b*stard pay kind of attitude. The silly twats dont realise that we aint rich and have often blown all the money we have worked real hard for to buy these cars which, to be honest look like they are worth much more than they actually are!

I found the best car I had for peole respecting it was the Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo. I had two modded ones, the last one which I used to show and I always got positive reactions from them and as for the boy racers... hell what else did I buy a 3ltr Twin Turbo for??!!! :lol: :lol:

Im really happy with My 2.8 Z3 and if someone disagrees with that then thats their tough luck I say! The road would be a boring place if we all drove these Euro boxes!
R80TER

M roadster S50

Post by R80TER »

i'm looking forward to picking mine up now!! before i had a techno violet 328 sport and have been accused of being a drug dealer / pimp, i kinda like it, but at times its bad, especially when my personalised plate goes on, i live in a small town and everyone knows everyone, so i am looking forward to be able to hear them comment as i drive past with the roof down in my estoril ///M!!!!

btw hopefully picking it up tomorrow!!! well excited, i am like a kid on xmas eve!!!
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

LOL hope you got some sleep and without a doubt you'll ENJOY ;)
God gave me Taste, BMW made the Z3. It's not a girls car, It's a Mans car in Drag !!
steve p
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Post by steve p »

the only thing that i really got a lot from people was calling me a drug dealer coz they couldnt understand how a 20 year old at the time could afford a 2.8 Z3, but like many of you a second hand Z really arnt expensive i payed a littly over 11k for a 98 with 30 odd k on the clock 3 years ago and only £1126 fully comp again for a twenty year old not bad and i lost my noclaims a couple years before. now 23 my renewal is 476, still good, i do get the odd good comment from the local chaves and chavets but its all a good laugh!! oh and they do try it on at the lights but thebest bit is, no clios, no novas, no saxos but a bunch of 49cc scooters lol!!!!!!!!
Caledonian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Caledonian »

Like everone else I seem to attract every Nova, Corsa, Mark III Astra (with Irmsher decals of course !) or Calibra normally with exhausts that look like they've nicked their mothers stainless steel pedal bin from the kitchen and wrapped it round the end. I just let them do they're thing but if they tail me to the motorway it's quite easy to lose them in a 3.0i.

On the positive side, I try and let people out at junctions and turn right across me in heavy traffic as often as I can and I get looks of total disbelief ! It blows their preconception that you must be a total ars*hole in a BMW with sunglasses on and the roof down.
Gary Brown

Not specified

Post by Gary Brown »

Hi again zedsters, haven't been on here for a while because of work, holiday and so on.

I haven't been subjected to serious vandalism and truly feel for you risquenun and anyone else suffering from such mindless, cowardly acts.

Had my z3 for over four years and pretty much echo what most have already said. I've read this thread with great interest and I'm surprised the reaction to the car not only seems to be exactly the same, no matter where you are, but the same 'type' of people react to the car in the same way.

Young kids, below high school age absolutely loved the my z3, always shouting "Nice car, mister" smiling and waving. Funnily enough there were three or four incidents of this when the chap who eventually bought it was having the test drive and I know by his reaction he was surprised and appreciated it.

A whole lot of good reaction from females in their teens to early 20's (only to the car, not me :lol: ) Regularly had a smile and nod of appreciation from older fellas, guess they really appreciate the 'classic' roadster look which harks back to their youth :?

The usual flashing and revving at lights stuff from the 'chavs' (if you're visiting Jockland then 'ned' is the colloquialism used) but it seems to be the younger the chav is and the less performance his 'chavmobile' has, the more he wants to race - guess the older chavs round here know a bit better.

A few 'hairdresser car' remarks from the chaps at work, my retort "Well even a hairdresser wouldn't want to be seen in your (insert vehicle owned by abuser)."

The most irritating for me was always middle aged blokes in mid-sized cars, 1.3-1.6 rovers, astras, etc. ALWAYS accelerating, when you're overtaking them, trying to reduce the space in front :roll:

I've had the Z4 for six weeks now but have been away for half of that, so far don't have much reaction to draw on, but I'm pretty amazed at the reaction so far - ambivilence. Family, friends, etc have told me how much they like my new car, obviously. But on the road, I catch people having a look then they seem to deliberately look the other way - I'm guessing a "You've got that car because you want people to look at you, so I'm not going to give you the satisfaction" type of thing.

There is definitely a BMW 'thing' though, I've had various models over the years and have had exactly the same attitude shown towards me when I was driving a 10yr old 3 series as I had from some ar$ehole on Sept 1st, when I collected the Z4 and when driving all the other BMWs in between. Saying that, the top 5 most detested drivers was recently published in the Sun. 'BMW driver' was not included - 4x4 driver and white van driver were!

Happy motoring - whenever possible :lol:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I have to say the Z4 has much more road presecence than a Z3 and I think is percieved to be less hair dressery than a Z3.
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by risquenun »

Today I have had installed protection for my beloved z3 - a pair of 6 foot high closeboarded gates in front of the car port.
No more worries about mindless vandals getting down the side of our bungalow!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This Orinoco doesn't Womble.
Blackticus

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Z3

Post by Blackticus »

I have a z3 and a porsche boxster and the girls r loving me in both..thats what counts.
xtLSport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by xtLSport »

chr15athome wrote:Clios are great at the lights, they all want to race you. I give them a couple of feet head start and then kick there arses. I once raced a porche Boxster on the A1 and thrashed it. The guy came off at the same exit as me and we stopped next to each other at the lights. He couldn't understand how I managed to beat him, he thought I had a debadged Z3M? but its only a 2.2i.
Then it must be because the guy didnt know how to drive......
because i have a 2.2 and my father has a boxster 220 and i dont get him...
Gucci

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Gucci »

I had a situation where an AMG SL55 drew up to me at the lights. He looked at me... I looked at him... I was reminded of the 1.8 engine as the lights changed. I've always liked the back of those Mercs. :oops:
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

Had a bit of a moment last night :)

Was stuck behind a load of traffic coming up the A55, and by Queensferry where it splits into 3 lanes, a lad came past in a 106Gti and went screaming down the road, I followed him into the 3rd lane and overtook all the middle-lane-morons at a reasonable speed (~80mph as its a lit area and a haven for police) unlike the 106 who must have been doing 100+) anyhoo, as we come to the traffic lights we both end up in the fast lane, him the first car at the light, me behind.

The lights changed and he wheelspun away, I left it a couple of seconds and came carrering up behind him, I assume it must be a hell of a sight to see front headlights jump up about a foot and come careering towards you, anyway, with the left hand lane empty, and fair do's to him, he pulled over, engine screaming away, and I streamed passed him in 3rd :)

Got a thumbs up and a couple of flashes from him, but usually, chavs dont take too well to been easily passed.
Sweetpea

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Sweetpea »

Never ever had a problem. If I drove my other car (a Suzuki Vitara at the time) I could be certain I would wait in the traffic. :shock: However, the moment I was out in the Z3 baby I was assured of a clear way always. Plenty of smiles, thumbs up (from both sexes and all ages) and lovely comments about the colour and car. Wouldnt change a thing about the little angel. :D
Boysie

M roadster S50

nice car

Post by Boysie »

i do undersatnd exactly where your coming from regarding not being let out of side roads, sometimes i have quite a long wait.
i always have really nice comments a about my car, they do look so rectro thats its attraction.

And yes people do think you have to be rich to own one.
when i got the Z3 1.9 my neighbours thought i had won the lottery.
That cars a sheep in wolves clothing.

Even when i owned the 3 Series several of them over the years, all second hand, they got more looks and admiring glances than most new cars on the road.
Since owning the Z3M when a half decent car and driver comes up behind me on a motorway and see's my four exhaust pipes they stay back, when they do i always pull over and let them go flyiing past, mind you i am normally hovering over 90ish
Since being the lucky owiner a Z3m I seem to have been given these nine points.
( I hear you all shouting thats unfair)
Maybe for owning a lovely car
its the vectra's and sierra heaps that think they own the road, they feel they have to be right up your ar5se, relax and pullover who owns the best roadsters on the road
All OF US.

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

Gucci wrote:I had a situation where an AMG SL55 drew up to me at the lights. He looked at me... I looked at him... I was reminded of the 1.8 engine as the lights changed. I've always liked the back of those Mercs. :oops:
LOL Know that feeling, R well will soon be summer and thats when A Z is a rule unto itself :)
Sniff

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: nice car

Post by Sniff »

Boysie wrote:i do undersatnd exactly where your coming from regarding not being let out of side roads, sometimes i have quite a long wait.
Haha. Generally here people on side roads have right of way, so I don't get that problem :P :P :lol: :lol:
ianmc

Z3 roadster 2.8

hairdresser

Post by ianmc »

c_w wrote:I have to say the Z4 has much more road presecence than a Z3 and I think is percieved to be less hair dressery than a Z3.

i am a hairdresser..!! dont see the problem.,. i also own a triumph daytona 955i , its the same ... some say .. "nice bike "
some say " you must be doing well " and hate you....

the car generates a lot of envy..... especially as mine is green..!!
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

What colour of green ianmc ?

I had a bloke the other night wind his window down as we say in traffic and shout over "nice car mate, give you 10p for it!?"

Is this a compliment or a guy looking a thumping? Ideas?
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)