Z3bra

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3bra

Post by Tourniquet »

I've been toying with the idea of making a custom bra for the Z3 out of material similar to that used for the magnetic stone guards. (really dont like the look of the ones available). given the surface area it shouldn't be bothered by wind but would be pretty easy to peel off for washing.

Question is. would this, or something similar, complement the styling of the z3 (bear in mind it's a rough edit and I'm quite rusty with photoshop)
If a different style might work better bear in mind I could probably cover the entire car with this material (Blackbird Z3 anyone :twisted: )

It might be possible to make a one piece version but a two piece is more likely, maybe with a few white stripes to make it a proper Z3bra. the base colour of the material is matt black but I suppose it could be done in any colour.

Thoughts?
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

I see no point in them. It's like putting seat covers on to protect the leather. Personally I think they all look crap and would rather have a stone chipped front end.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

What if you tried one of these for a few pounds. Your paint may fade under a black bra. Mine is chipped and the leather is aging, but still, Beaulieu is the place for museum peices.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3-1998-2003- ... dZViewItem
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

IMO that is horrible, it spoils the whole look of the car Image

Much better to go bra less - I do Image
Sniff

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Sniff »

Alex L wrote:I see no point in them. It's like putting seat covers on to protect the leather. Personally I think they all look crap and would rather have a stone chipped front end.
I'm with Alex on this one. I'd rather have a few stone chips than make the car look so ugly :wink:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

BostonGreenZ3 wrote:IMO that is horrible, it spoils the whole look of the car Image

Much better to go bra less - I do Image
Yes, best to let them lovely looks be seen :P

I think the only paint protection that is worth considering i that clear plastic stuff.
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by risquenun »

The invisible car bra sounds like a good idea BUT there is a big BUT.
A friend of mine was service manager at a Ferrari dealership and a customer decided to go down the 'invisible' stone protector route.
Everything was fine and dandy until theycleaned the bonnet prior to fitting.
The car had had stonechips touched in by someone like Chips Away and looked good until the required solvent was applied to ensure cleanliness of the paintwork. As soon as the front end was cleaned the solvent removed all the repaired paint which is of a different composition to the factory finish :bawl: :head:
No doubt this system would be fine on a brand new car....
This Orinoco doesn't Womble.
PaddyG

M roadster S50

Re: Z3bra

Post by PaddyG »

Tourniquet wrote:Question is. would this, or something similar, complement the styling of the z3
Quite simply no, I can think of nothing worse!

Would you wear leather chaps to stop your new jeans wearing out, or plastic overshoes to keep your new trainers in tip-top condition?

You bought a Z3 (at least partly) becasue of the lines, the look and the beauty of the car, why hide it behind a pig ugly "charades" mask?

Just my 2 penneth.
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

Seems a pretty mixed reaction. some don't like it. others, well... i'm glad my home address isn't public knowledge as a lynching tends to offend :wink:

I shall direct my creative urges elsewhere.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Don't do it, Tourniquet. If you are compelled to, then get some clear plastic stuff. Please.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
xtLSport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by xtLSport »

personally i dont like them and i see no point in them. at this point why not covering the whole car? or why not keeping the car in the garage and never take it out? at least you will be sure that no stone hits you.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

xtLSport wrote:personally i dont like them and i see no point in them. at this point why not covering the whole car? or why not keeping the car in the garage and never take it out? at least you will be sure that no stone hits you.
Yes, drive it. Show it off :P If worst comes to worst, you can always get a respray!

With an M??

IOMRoadster

M roadster S50

Post by IOMRoadster »

It's the old plastic on the sofa discussion again isn't it? I'm not a fan of Bra's on cars and have seen some paint work damage from the american style ones in my days in the states.

Don't do it!!
Daneborough

Z4 M roadster

Post by Daneborough »

Tourniquet wrote:Seems a pretty mixed reaction. some don't like it. others, well... i'm glad my home address isn't public knowledge as a lynching tends to offend :wink:

I shall direct my creative urges elsewhere.
Torniquet - I'm coming in a little late on this, but don't lose your creative urges! I agree with some of the anti-bra sentiments but, in some environments I see bras as a necessity!

I have bras for my Z3 (two-piece Coglan that also covers the lower bumper), my Z4, and Mini Cooper S, and use them regularly. "Anti-bras" might be OK in areas with good quality roads where the incidence of stone chip is minimal, but where I drive mine (often on unsealed roads) you'd be crazy not to use one!

The front-end of my first Z3 looked like it had been sand-blasted when I sold it after 11 months - think that didn't affect its re-sale value? Since then, my cars never leave the garage for road trips without their bras!

P.S. For the "anti-bra" brigade, not only do I use bras but also mirror covers - full protection for anything that points forward!
2006 Z4M - Black Sapphire/Sepang Bronze Light
2007 335i Convertible - Black Sapphire/Black
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Don't take it to heart, you asked for opinions and you got them!
If you like the idea of the Z3 Bra, go for it. There are ready made ones available like the one HERE.

JB
John Boy
2.8 Z3
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Daneborough,

Do you have any pics to share of yours with the frontal protections on? Might help Tourniquet decide and give us all more examples of how these things look.

With an M??

Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Tourniquet wrote:
..full protection for anything that points forward!
Windscreen cover?
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Alex L wrote:
Tourniquet wrote:
..full protection for anything that points forward!
Windscreen cover?
& shades. Can't forget those! :D

With an M??

samz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by samz3 »

hey Tourniquet, ya taking the p@@s right, u cannot be serious??