Yep, it is.

But who cares....?
That's always a great watch.

A.
Tacticus

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tacticus »

...it's a tyre snuff film :shock:

I swear I've seen people do that in a transit - 'course it was a white one not silver :wink:
Earpy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Tiff Needel driving skills in a ZM

Post by Earpy »

Alfie wrote:
Earpy wrote:Hope this isn't a repost?!
Yep, it is.

But who cares....?
That's always a great watch.

A.
It's a fair cop, I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky repost police...grrr :lol:
Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

1st time I've seen it, thanks for posting. I've too much mechanical sympathy to do that in mine.
Barry.m

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Burning Rubber

Post by Barry.m »

1st time for me too, great to watch as long as it's someone elses car. Too much hard earned cash invested. :roflmao:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Skill?

Post by Guest »

Off I go again - It does not take much driving skill to do a 360 degree spin, just a lack of mechanical sympathy for someone else's car and tyres!

Why do otherwise (fairly) sane people think such antics are good to watch? I must be showing my age or something . . .
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Yeh you must! It's great fun to watch! But not as good as this truely mesmorising lap of the 'ring in an M3 GTR. Phenominal !!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3185836618
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

donuts, spins etc are fun. especially when not your car and also not in conjunction with hitting a fence, wall, tree etc. some good skills there by tiff, i believe that is also how he drives when he races....
Robin

M roadster S50

Re: Skill?

Post by Robin »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Off I go again - It does not take much driving skill to do a 360 degree spin, just a lack of mechanical sympathy for someone else's car and tyres!

Why do otherwise (fairly) sane people think such antics are good to watch? I must be showing my age or something . . .
I'm 51 & I think the 360 degree spin is entertaining & looks like great fun.
Yet I'm normally a grumpy old man, but about different things such as mass immigration, the tribalism that goes with religion, benefit scroungers, Tony Blair, Tony Blair's inane grin, giggly news readers, loud intrusive background music, rap music, fundie Americans, body piercing, big brother type TV programmes, youngsters with thumping car stereos & chav exausts..... all these things pi55 me off, but the 360 degree spin doesn't. In fact if I had access to a runway I'd have a go myself.
Oh well we're all different I guess.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

As a matter of interest it was his //M Roadster

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

SpunkyM wrote:....truely mesmorising lap of the 'ring in an M3 GTR. Phenominal !!!
:shock:

Blimey!
Do you reckon he's been round once or twice before?

I would've sworn that video was speeded up, but just watch the way he annihilates all the other cars! Excellent!

A.
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

LOL - I think he may have done Alfie! Not speeded up at all - the time is genuine if you time it on your own watch. That's 500 bhp for you!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Boysie wrote:As a matter of interest it was his //M Roadster
Well after Tiff has ragged the ass off it, I sure as hell wouldn't want to own it. I wonder if any of its other owners knew about its TV debut? DVLA says it's taxed till December, so someone its still driving round in it!
RAC for W619MCF wrote:Date manufactured 01 March 2000
Number of previous owners 4
Last owner change 30 December 2005
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

SpunkyM great clip, he must've lapped the ring hundreds of times, his line was spot on.

What are the specs on that car, it was overtaking everything in sight, few porkers got buried.

Nice one
Jules75

Z4 M roadster

Post by Jules75 »

Didn't even realise until last night, but I have this on DVD! :lol:
Giles wrote:IMHO the Z4 generally tends to appeal to people that want to own a nice car and not those that want to drive a nice car.
xtLSport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by xtLSport »

has ANYONE here ever done a 360 like that?
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Only those with access to a runway I would hope :)
Mster

BMW other

Post by Mster »

It's Easy

Post by Guest »

There is no magic in doing a 360 degree spin - all you need is a surplus of torque over grip, a heavy right foot, and no sympathy for your car. In my distant youth a lot of us managed it without anyone hailing us as good drivers - quite the reverse! How times have changed.

All one needed was a Triumph TR2 or Ausin-Healey Sprite (better still, an Austin-Healey 3000!) which when coupled with an overdose of testosterone and a lack of discretion would perform such antics without even being asked!

I always thought that the object of fast driving was to go round corners while avoiding spinning, rather than make a cult out of what is really failure.

Perhaps that's why I see little merit in these cheap tricks, as while you are spinning pointlessly the next car will be up the road and away. I suppose in such hopelessly restricted places such as Singapore (home of 'Drifting') and the USA, spinning is about all that immature youths can do, but even in the UK there must still be better things to do with your car.
Robin

M roadster S50

Re: It's Easy

Post by Robin »

Mike Fishwick wrote:There is no magic in doing a 360 degree spin - all you need is a surplus of torque over grip, a heavy right foot, and no sympathy for your car. In my distant youth a lot of us managed it without anyone hailing us as good drivers - quite the reverse! How times have changed.

All one needed was a Triumph TR2 or Ausin-Healey Sprite (better still, an Austin-Healey 3000!) which when coupled with an overdose of testosterone and a lack of discretion would perform such antics without even being asked!

I always thought that the object of fast driving was to go round corners while avoiding spinning, rather than make a cult out of what is really failure.

Perhaps that's why I see little merit in these cheap tricks, as while you are spinning pointlessly the next car will be up the road and away. I suppose in such hopelessly restricted places such as Singapore (home of 'Drifting') and the USA, spinning is about all that immature youths can do, but even in the UK there must still be better things to do with your car.
The grumpy old man's back. Who said it was magic ?
It's just a bit of fun for Christ's sake :roll:
bok

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: It's Easy

Post by bok »

I suppose in such hopelessly restricted places such as Singapore (home of 'Drifting') and the USA, spinning is about all that immature youths can do, but even in the UK there must still be better things to do with your car.
Japan is the home of drifting, grumpy old man
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Image Image Image

Image ...all hail the burnout !!!! :mrgreen:

Restrictions

Post by Guest »

I feel that the many restrictions on driving in the UK (from cameras and speed bumps to the attitude of other drivers) are responsible for people's appreciation of drifting and burnout etc etc.

When Club GTI run sprints at Curborough entrants have all afternoon to play, and get about a dozen double laps (warming-up and timed) for about £35 each when I last attended, which is pretty cheap. With such a short and twisty track it's difficulat to do any damage, and the experience is akin to driving on real roads, whereas a track day at a GP circuit is quite different, in terms of width and corner radius. You also have the problme of being involved with another car, as many people cannot tell the difference between a track day and a race.

What we (sorry - you poor people!) need are a series of small local sprint circuits, modelled on courses such as Curborough, where people can enjoy their cars and develop useful skills in safety, with only their own car on the track.

I cannot see it ever happening - years ago, when someone wanted to use a defunct clay pit on Dartmoor as a motorcycle trail park, the usual types protested until it was thrown out. What the UK needs are some motoring enthusiasts in Parliament!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Alfie wrote:
SpunkyM wrote:....truely mesmorising lap of the 'ring in an M3 GTR. Phenominal !!!
:shock:

Blimey!
Do you reckon he's been round once or twice before?

I would've sworn that video was speeded up, but just watch the way he annihilates all the other cars! Excellent!

A.
I have seen this before too, in fact its saved to my hard drive :D
Ok this lap of the ring was a qualifying lap for the nurbergring 24 hours in either 2004 or 2005, the driver in question is Hans Stuck, ex formula 1, and winner of the ring 24 hours on several occasions. The car was one of 2 run by schnitzer, who run dirk muller and jorg muller in the WTCC. The team manager has told us that the speed on the fastest parts of the ring was in excess of 185 MPH. He would also have gone quicker had the Porsche not blocked him into Adenau and the yellow flags later in the lap. The GTR's were first and second in the race both times they competed, shame they are not racing any more. I saw them at the Spa 24 hour in 2004. Awesome watching them overtake the 550 marrenelos up through Eau rouge, the 550's would get them back on the Kemmel straight shortly after though.
Still a good watch though always brings a smile to my face when I see it.