z3m rear screen

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

z3m rear screen

Post by S54James »

Hello

I have just had a new rear screen fitted by BMW and very pleased with the result. Now I have just washed the car and was very carefull of the rear screen, the screen is only a day old and was scratch free when I picked her up yesterday. Now I can see very very faint scratch marks already ... as I said I was really carefull not to rub the screen but I had to get the water marks off .. most people would not even notice. So what should I do to look after screen? what polish or maintainance should I do? It look like most people to mention SRP polish from autoglym? any help would be most helpful

regards

Nick
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Nick,

The scratches on a brand new screen after 1 wash can only be caused by either the use of a "dirty" cloth/sponge of inproper initial clean.

The plastic is a lot softer than paint and so its easy for even the faintest grit on a cloth / sponge to cause a scratch.

You should rinse the rear screen with a low power jet of water running down the screen to rinse off as much grit as possible. I then slightly increase the power to remove any more stubborn grit. You should use a dedicated mit (ie not used for anything else) to gently brush the screen (ie no pressure just the weight of the wet mit) whilst still applying water to clean. ie I do this completely seperate pre washing the car and never use shampoo / water from a bucket.

Even doing it this way you will still get fine scratches over time.

My attitute is the rear screen is a consumable and I will replace every 3 years or so. I would rather enjoy the car and not worry about dropping the roof on impulse "incase I scratch the screen as its got grit on it". I would rather just pay £150 and fit a new one (they really are easy DIY to fit)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hello

thanks for that, the srp removed the area that I was concerned about. if you get time any chance of posting a step by step set of instructions on how to change he oem screen? you seem to have this diy task fully understood. I am sure other Z owners would find this helpful as well

all the best

Nick
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster