buying an M

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
stephenm1

Z3 roadster 2.0

buying an M

Post by stephenm1 »

Hi all
I am going to look at Z3M on Friday an wounderd if any one had some tips to look for.
I have owned a 2.0 for 3-4 years now so I no some of the points to look for . I am interested in the Vanos problems and what to look (listen for).
she is a 1998 boston green model , advertised at around £8000 mark.
Ant thoughts would be greatfull.
Steve
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Steve

You'll obviously know the generic Z3 things to look for and so should get a good feel for the "condition" of the car.

In my opinion the S50 engine is all about how it "feels" but with >100BHP per litre it does feel different than a 3 litre as its so highly tuned.

Make sure you ask the seller not to warm the car up and make sure you allow enough time for at least a half hour drive in it.

Even in this icey cold weather the engine should take c10-15 min to reach >60degrees on the oil temp gauge. The engine may feel "rougher" than you are used to but believe me if there is a Vanos Growl you will know it. Rev the car to 2.5k revs and let it drop back to idle for the easiest way to here it (engine hot or cold).

Once you have the engine warmed up you really need to get your foot down in second and get it up to 7,000 revs so make sure you have a nice safe straight piece of road (even doubling back on yourself for a few runs). The engine should really come alive over 5k revs and literally push you in the back until you bottle it before the red line :twisted: This is when the engine is at its best and should be smooth and progressive with no flat spots.

Believe me even if you have never driven an ///M engine before you will know if its sweet or not as the highly tuned nature of these engines means its pretty easy to tell if somethings not right :wink:

Its important to remember everything is more expensive on an ///M performance wise so make sure you check the obvious stuff like tyres (especially the rears) and factor in replacement costs if needed.

The best tip though is to make a list of things to look for and take your time. Its easy to get "excited" or pressurised into missing things you regret later.

Also if your first impressions are its not the car for me, still take some time to drive it and look around it. You've taken the trouble to go and view it so its all good experience for when you view the next and believe me it makes it so much easier when you find the "one" for you.

ps I know I'll get slated for this but boston green is not one of the most popular colours and tends to suffer on price for it. Assuming average 70-90k mileage and condition at this time of year £8k private sounds a little over the top so I would be bartering hard. Don't be afriad of leaving any offer on the table with your details :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
stephenm1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stephenm1 »

jonttt
Many Thanks for the quick reply.
The car has 35000 miles (1 owner)and I no the colour could be better, but it sounds like it could be a goodun!
I will have a look around and try the engine out as you explained.
I will walk away if its not the right one cos im in no hurry as I own a very good nick Z anyway(in Black) shame the M isnt the same colour.
Thanks again
Steve
dooby

M roadster S50

Post by dooby »

8k @ 35000miles is a great price.
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Sounds great and a lovely colour, must be quite rare in an M.

Hope the cars sound, let us know how you get on.

jontymo
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep, with that low mileage and if condition is good, price is good but always room for haggling :D
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Certainly an unusual colour, mine was a 98 model but had 60,000 miles when I sold it. The only other I have seen on the road had the Kyalami orange interior whereas mine was Evergreen

TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

I have recently changed my Z'd from a 1.9 to a 2.8, but in reality I so much wanted to get an M :bawl:
What put me off was the problem with the popping boot weld,s, If so much stress is exerted that it can pop welds :shock:
This must be a major safety fault :?: even after repairs to the boot welds.
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

I think thats an amazing price for that low
a mileage car, and especially if in good condition

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

TaffZee wrote:I have recently changed my Z'd from a 1.9 to a 2.8, but in reality I so much wanted to get an M :bawl:
What put me off was the problem with the popping boot weld,s, If so much stress is exerted that it can pop welds :shock:
This must be a major safety fault :?: even after repairs to the boot welds.
Its not just the ///M cars that suffer the problem - it affects other Z3 as well. I have seen 1.9L engines with this happen. Plus not nearly all ///M roadsters/coupes get affected. You should have got an ///M after all :lol:
Taz

M roadster S50

Post by Taz »

I have some advice, get yourself a 3.0l Z4! So the Z3m will make you feel special because they're aren't many about but the novelty will soon wear off when your vanos packs up, your lumbered with a 3k bill for a diff mount repair and you run out of road before you get out of 3rd gear ! Not to mention the wobbly steering, 2 bob materials, leaking boot, windows, FUBAR electrics and having to wait about 20 minutes for the oil to heat up so you can have "fun".

If it's so good why is he selling it? that's always the burning question. I bet your cats boolies the boot welds have come a-cropper and BMW didn't fix it for him as it's over the 10 year threshold.
Mike123

M roadster S50

Fighting Talk!

Post by Mike123 »

Taz wrote:So the Z3m will make you feel special because they're aren't many about but the novelty will soon wear off when your vanos packs up, your lumbered with a 3k bill for a diff mount repair and you run out of road before you get out of 3rd gear ! Not to mention the wobbly steering, 2 bob materials, leaking boot, windows, FUBAR electrics and having to wait about 20 minutes for the oil to heat up so you can have "fun".
You're obviously not driving the same Z3M that I am!

I've had 55k miles of pure driving pleasure from mine, no big bills, no steering wobbles, no Vanos issues, no diff problems, no boot leaks, no electrical failures, no obvious wear on any of the materials, and I've cured the roof leaks with a simple fix.

The 4,000 rev limit until the oil warms up would still leave a 3.0 disappearing rapidly in the rear view mirror! :twisted:

Must have just been lucky, I guess! :wink:
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

Hey Taz is your car lemon colour
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

corky wrote:Hey Taz is your car lemon colour
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi Mike123

Obviously mine was from the
same oh so lucky batch :D :D :D

pure delight to drive

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Mines ok too
:o :o :lol:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Sounds like you have had a bad experience Taz, but not all cars are the same...
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Stephen did you go to look then?
stephenm1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stephenm1 »

Hi everyone
Didnt get a look today, with all the bad weather it was a no go im afraid.I am planing to have a look probs Wednesday. I will post my thought as soon as.
Thanks for all of your thoughts.
Steve
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

come on steve
Bite the bullet you know that you want one you know that you will not be satisfyed with any other .

Come on and put a big grin on your face when you put your foot down on the loud pedal

:lol: :lol: :lol:
stephenm1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stephenm1 »

ok
I went to see the ZM Satuarday.
All I can say is I am very disapointed , i really dont like the colour!! Sorry to all the green zs out there but there you are.
The car is one of the best you would expect to see , low milage (3 MOTs and less than 500 miles between them!!
The car has some stone chips to the front bubbling on the passenger mirror and a small scratch on the rear.
The owner is the only owner with full service history. He also has the purchase invoice from 1998 £37,000 WOW .
But as I said I dont like the colour and my facelift Black 2.0 looks loads better ( in my eyes)
I would also worry that this car has not been used the way it should only 35000 miles on the clock.
Any way not for me but anyone out there liking the green monster would get a great buy.
Steve
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thanks for the feedback Steve :rtm:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looks a great M to me in a classic colour :lol:

Mileage would be the clincher for me, lower the better on an appreciating classic.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

I quite like the colour reminds me of my Capri 1.6GL I once owned :lol:
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Image[/quote]

cute cat!!!
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Ferdinand wrote:Image

cute cat!!![/quote]

:lol: I love the look on its face...! `What you looking at!! ?`
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Thanks, she oddly likes the smell of car polish
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

Post by Ian Kelly »

Alex L wrote:Thanks, she oddly likes the smell of car polish
When I first read that I thought you said she smells of car polish!!! :lol:
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

Have you never polished you car with a cat?
Best method ever. Tip, ware thick leather work gloves.