Boot Welds - opinions please

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Boma

M roadster S50

Boot Welds - opinions please

Post by Boma »

Hi all

The below is a pic of the boot welds that a close friend has been sent during his hunt for a Z3M. Having owned a Z3M myself, I am concerned, however I have never seen in person any Z3M with weld issues although I am fully aware of the 'issue'.

To those who have experienced this type of failing or have viewed others vehicles, we are asking for your comments..... would you walk away and continue the search ?

Thanks in advance

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep those are "popped" welds indicating that the diff bracket is probably cracked and maybe the seam under the sealant ahs a worse crack.

Its pretty advanced as the second set of welds look to have gone as well (but you can't see them all on the pic)

If the car is too far away to view in person I would look at another.

At the end of the day this can be a repair costing a few hundred pounds if not too bad and could be a good negotiating tool, but if its bad there are plenty of others to see :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Boma

M roadster S50

Post by Boma »

Cheers Jonttt

.... pic of the 'middle' below...

Can anybody give examples of their repair costs thus aiding any negotiation markers. The repair costs would have varied with severity ?? but any indication of cost to date would be much appreciated.

spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I think your damage looks more like mine that Spurs Fan's (his is the most extreme I've seen on here).

Link to Boot Weld Damage View the video to see the real damage.

Link to Boot Weld Repair
Pingu
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

The welds look to be in a similar state to those on my 2.8 LINK as it was just the lefthand side (viewed from the rear) welds that were failing. Fortunately the seem, diff bracket, etc on mine were all OK but may not be the case with the ///M.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

Post by Ian Kelly »

Mine had 2 welds that had popped, so not as bad as those pics. At some point in the past mine had weld dropped into a popped weld from above, to prevent it getting worse. I used it as negotiating point when I bought my car last year.

Stripped everything off from underneath the rear and had a good look, and the diff mount and cross member looked fine from underneath, so I got a welder to seam weld the whole cross member to the boot floor. He charged £100 at my house, so not too bad (shame I didn't know anyone that welded!). Bit of primer and silver hammerite, and it was good as new or better.

Ian