Sports button - what does it actually do?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
z4wannabe

blank.gif

Sports button - what does it actually do?

Post by z4wannabe »

I have had my 2004 Z4 3.0i for a month and am getting used to it's behaviour and performance.

I am trying to work out what the Sport button is supposed to do. It feels like the steering is a bit tighter, the gear shifts quicker, the sound throatier... but are these deliberate affects or am I just imagining some of them?

And is there a price on fuel consumption if you drive in exactly the same conditions? If not, why wouldn't you always have the button on?

Calling the more experienced - thanks.
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

You are correct on all fronts.

It stiffens the Suspension, and increases the throttle response.
Im sure it does affect the MPG, But I never noticed, I drove around in mine ( when I had one :bawl: ) and always saw 28MPG,

I would put it on for a Blatt and leave it off at all other times.. Others left it on all the time, I found the sharp throttle was far too difficult to handle in slow driving conditions i.e Traffic.

Bloke

Sport

Post by Guest »

Sounds as if it is doing what it should - the reason it is not locked in Sport mode is to sanitise the car for those who should not have a powerful car, in terms of paying attention to their driving and lack of basic ability - in other words the Americans!

The same goes for clutch delay valves, drive-by-wire throttles, DSC etc.
Bloke

Other roadster

Re: Sport

Post by Bloke »

Mike Fishwick wrote: The same goes for clutch delay valves, drive-by-wire throttles, DSC etc.
I also had the modified Clutch delay valve fitted, made the changes a litte smoother, but not as much as I had expected.

Bloke
pop_sausage

Z4 M roadster

Post by pop_sausage »

Bloke wrote:You are correct on all fronts.

It stiffens the Suspension, and increases the throttle response.

Bloke
No effect on the suspension. On non-///m cars it only increase the throttle response and decrease the power assistance, making the steering heavier which has the effect of more road feedback (still pretty sub standard for a BMW sports car unfortunately :cry: ) and on autos, switches to the Sport setting on the box.

On ///m cars, it has no power steering effect (as they put a better hydraulic system on), but (not sure of the technical term) pre loads (?) the brakes as well as the throttle re-map.

If you want an even better sound in the cabin, do a search for the sound generator mod. Easiest way to make the early cars sound pretty cool (from within the car)
harrypic

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by harrypic »

On Auto's it activates sport mode on the autobox as well

Marc
Ex330i

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ex330i »

With the SMG box the Sport setting significantly shortens the gear change times. The effect is more pronounced the harder you push the car - feels almost instantaneous at 5000-6000 rpm upshifts and all down shifts are as fast as you can flick the stick or paddles.

If you use the SMG's "D" option to mimic a normal auto box, the Sport mode hangs onto gears much longer and changes down much earlier. These effects increase a lot if you push things along a bit!

The increased throttle response is most noticeable when you've just selected Sport mode after driving around without it for a while. The effect is felt more on the first bit of throttle movement. After a while you get accustomed to it and it feels normal - till you de-select Sport and it all goes sloppy!

Has anyone noticed in Sport mode the throttle sometimes slow to back off if you take off fast in then lift you right foot - it keeps accelerating hard for a split second?

Also, when in sport mode at say a steady 50 - 60 if you just increase pressure on the throttle by the smallest amount then ease back, then repeat a few times, you find yourself accelerating with barely any throttle applied at all. Fools you into thinking you've gained a few bhp! However, if you're heavy footed in sport mode the increased throttle response is not so noticeable.

Overall I think the effect on throttle response is a bit naff - you can go just a fast without it - you just press further down! (and I think you have better control of the 'real' throttle when Sport is off!)
The SMG gear shifts are much better in sport and the car can be driven more smoothly - pity you can't select the fast changes separately.
<b> http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x60/ ... 453a-1.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x60/ ... N4456s.jpg </b>

<b>Sport Pack, 18" Elipsoids, Carver Sound System, Bi-Xenons, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Dimming Wing Mirrors, Rain Senor wipers, Wind Deflector, SMG Transmission, Electric Seats (memory on drivers side), 3 stage Seat Heating.</b>