SMG v Manual v Auto

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

SMG v Manual v Auto

Post by Russ1959 »

I'm searching for an early Z4 but cant find the right combination, eg gearbox/colour/interior colour/wheels. I know I cant have it all.

I have just sold a Toyota Supra TT Auto but now wanted to go back to a manual for a while BUT I find the right colour but Auto box or Manual box and wrong colour :head:

I have seen a black one with red interior but auto box, now I could be swayed to this one if the auto box on the Z4 is worth having.
Also is the SMG box just like driving a manual and as good and exciting?

I need to try and find one this weekend.

Russ
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

SMG box has been dropped in current models in favour of a DSG. A subtle hint from BMW themselves. :wink:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
tetchmeister
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by tetchmeister »

estocks wrote:SMG box has been dropped in current models in favour of a DSG. A subtle hint from BMW themselves. :wink:
What a load of crap, nearly all older technology has been dropped for newer technology with everything that has ever been made by BMW.!

The SMG is fine to use, easier than a manual and more involving than an auto. Its a bit crap in Auto mode, but so easy to drive in manual mode that you will never need to use Auto mode.