Intermitent steering fault

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
gtturbo87uk

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Intermitent steering fault

Post by gtturbo87uk »

hi i have a 2003 z4 3.0i. The power steering seems to have an intermitent fault with it causing total power steering loss. The problem occurs at random times and is not affected by the heat in any way, wich i have heard causes problems in some cases not mine. I also do not have the notchy or sticky steering problem ,mine works like new when it wants to. There must be people out there who can help me understand the actual cause of this. It is a common problem and some one must have reolved it on thier own one and know the exact cause. If they would be kind enough to share this information with me i would be most greatful.
gtturbo87uk

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: Intermitent steering fault

Post by gtturbo87uk »

PLEASE HELP
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Heath »

First off is your power steering fluid at the correct level, if so is the drive belt ok & not slipping
Heath on Tapatalk
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

It is a known fault, BMW do know about it. It isn't on a recall but it is on a special instruction bulletin

Have a look at z4forum.com under sticky steering for various case numbers.

The techies at BMW can access the 'puma' database which stands for product and measures management after sales and usually links with TSB's (technical service bulletins).

The remedy can involve replacement of the steering column or EPS or both.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
gtturbo87uk

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by gtturbo87uk »

I have been on z4 forum and by all of the posts it looks like a new column.
This is all well and good but i dont have £2000 for a new one and a second hand one from a breakers seems to be rare as rocking horse s~!t. Is there anyone who reconditions them?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Have you spoken to BMW armed with the evidence of the TSB's ?

Have you a warranty ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Have you tried the various online parts dealers, if you search google etc. for find a part you can request a specific part and this is then broadcast throughout the country to all the parts dealers and if they have one they will either email you or send a text with price and postage etc. To find the exact part number use either realoem or bmwfans.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Be aware that the secondhand part can have the same problem.
Gazza

ImageImage