daytime running lights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
skidkid

Z4 coupe 3.0si

daytime running lights

Post by skidkid »

Can anyone tell me what lights are on if you turn this function on? Is it halo's or head lights?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: daytime running lights

Post by Southernboy »

That all depends where you have the circuit connected.. If you connect it to the ignition switch circuitry, they will come on when you start the car... or if you connect to the side lights, the light switch will need to be moved to position 1. That will also light up the side lights and tail lights. I have mine connected to the side lights since I also have my Garmin / GPS on that circuit. It's habit with me to turn the lights on when I start up to go, but I would like the choice of not having power draining from the battery in an emergency situation where that power needs to be conserved but I require the ignition on.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I was thinking of installing these but then I read that to comply with UK law (and therefore the MOT) they have to dim when you turn the headlights on. I have found one company on eBay that include a little box with their lights which when wired in detects the headlights coming on and automatically reduces the power to the running lights.
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Just connect the DRLs to earth via the dipped beam filament live side - when the headlamps are on the DRLs will therfore be reverse biased, and will go out.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!