Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Door card removal

Post by Ian_C »

To remove the door cards you will need:
1 x Small flat bladed screwdriver

1 x large flat bladed screwdriver

1 x Torx driver or medium Phillips screwdriver depending on what's holding your door trim on!

Proceed as follows:

1. Remove the external mirror switch by carefully prising it up with the small flat bladed screwdriver and pulling it out.

2. Disconnect the wiring and remove the screw holding the door card to the door (it could be a Torx or Phillips head depending if anyone's been in there before you!):

3. Remove the trim around the interior door release handle by lifting it at the rear and sliding the trim forwards:

4. Pull the door trim away from the door by removing the push fit fasteners around the sides and bottom of the door (use the large flat bladed screwdriver to lift the trim and then get your fingers in and pull either side of each fastener). Be careful doing this as they are plastic fasteners on a wooden board and break quite easily.

5. Remove the door trim by raising it at the front first and then progressing to the rear. As you pull the trim away from the door remember to disconnect the speaker wiring. The piccy below shows a removed drivers door trim (RHD car) - with a fastener missing at the bottom!

6. In true Haynes manual style, refit is the reverse of removal! :D
cxtwo

Not specified

Post by cxtwo »

thanks for the pics and rightup myredzed - i had a go at this today and found it really useful. :D

Only thing I would add is that I found it much easier to reinstall the door card by fitting the long rubber strip (inner seal between window and door card) onto the door card first before mounting it onto the door - rather than leaving the strip on the door and trying to fit the card back in under it.
SledgeHammer

M roadster S50

Post by SledgeHammer »

Quick sidenote for people with side-airbags, remove the decal:

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

If you have a side airbags it'd best to disconnect the battery too before unplugging anything to prevent the airbag light coming on and requring resetting (unless the airbag stays in the door??)
cxtwo

Not specified

Post by cxtwo »

Yes, but the problem I had is, when you have the battery disconnected, you can't move the electric window up and down...

In my case, I left the battery and airbag connected... and laid the airbag to rest on a stool whilst I worked on the window and was very careful not to knock it over. The connector for the airbag is secured by a clip, so it won't fall out easily. I'm not sure if I'd recommend others to do it this way though in case the airbag does go off and injure someone!

The airbag is secured to the door on top of the vapour barrier. Some pictures attached which might help..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.