pre-installed hardtop wiring loom - facelift + pwr hood

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

pre-installed hardtop wiring loom - facelift + pwr hood

Post by drdrake »

Hi

Im looking for the loom with connector block that is allegedly pre installed, BUT im specifically looking for end that connectors to the passenger side metal bracket and not the end which the switch is attached to.

After hours of trawling through posts here all I want to know is it the loom end located either

A) Behind The carpet of the passenger seat or

B) Underneath the central storage bin

ideally im looking for responses from people with 1st hand experience locating

Thanks in advance - im pulling my hair out trying to locate this "unicorn" loom
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well to get at either, you will need the storage box off. :wink:

The carpet is secured by three large plastic plugs all buried under the storage box bits - one in the centre and one under each seatbelt turret.

My first choice would be to remove the storage box liner. This is easy if you don't have the HK sub-woofer or roll-hoops, and a right royal PITA otherwise, as the hoops have to be removed first.

Mine was pre-wired, but I don't recall seeing where the wires went when I had the lot off to fit my rollhoop brackets. I found the rear speaker wires as I had to disconnect them temporarily. The harness runs to a relay at the front of the car, so the wiring has to either run down the centre or the side of the car. I would guess that it probably comes out of the bundle that goes through to the boot on the passenger side of the car.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

Thanks for your swift reply however my question still remains unanswered

can anyone please answer my question

Is the loom with the connector block attached that mounts onto the bracket located

A, Under the storage bin

B, Under carpet behind passenger seat

Thanks in advance
stephenm1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stephenm1 »

Mine was Answer B.....
stephenm1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stephenm1 »

more info
my car is a facelift 1999 2.0
and I found my wire tied back on the wiring that runs behind the passenger seat near the top by the speaker housing top box storage thing. It is wrapped in black tap so looks as if it isnt an extra wire.
I could have located if I could have gotten under the carpet from the door.
But i had already had the top box of so it was easy.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you can get at it without having to remove the hoops and storage box, so much the better.

You can loosen the side-trim by removing the scuff plate from the bottom of the door - it pulls straight up and is held on by three plastic plugs. Then the trim can be partially freed by removing two of it's three screws - one screw is under the end of scuff plate and another in the middle of the trim in a recess about halfway up the door post. Leave the top one as it under the seatbelt turret and you will have to remove the storage box to get that off.

You might just about have enough room to get behind the carpet then.

Cheers R.
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

Update~~~

Today I took the whole entire rear cabin, roll bars, and seat belt turrets off.

I also peeled the carpet back behind passenger seat and took the side door trims off and the carpet in the rear behind rear cabin storage.

I also traced bunches of looms to the boot and looms to the speakers etc

FINAL conclusion my car cannot have the alleged pre wired de mister harness

I wasted an afternoon and good money purchasing the switch

thoroughly fed up and gutted
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

oh dear, but are you sure, I would look again, it would bug me, it must be there :D

Seriously if its not there then they are obviously not all pre wired :head:

You have a dilema now, source a harness, fuses, relay ?

I almost feel guilty that I found mine so easily with a little advice from here by just undoing 2 screws and lifting the rear of the centre consol and my fingers went striaght to it :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Someone else recently posted on here that the roof microswitch for the leccy roof also comes from the same connector. This explains why on cars with leccy roof fitted the wiring is already taken through to the correct point on the car.

Are you sure you are looking for the right thing? I would need to look at the fitting instructions for the hardtop (can't find my electronic copy) as I seem to remember a small adapter that connects from the harness to the two space connectors on the hardtop mount. Looking on RealOEM, part #4 on this diagram seems to show this - not just sure how it fits - together as I didn't fit mine - but it looks like you are looking for rectangular connector with 4 or 5 pins.

In this diagram the main wiring harness is shown on the passenger side of the car, running from the fusebox through to the rear lights.

As BMW sell retrofit kits, I would expect the essential wiring to be on all cars. If I can find the instructions, I can tell you exactly what is in the fitting kit.

Cheers R.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The part that I linked to above is correct. The fitting instructions can be found online here:

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essentials ... tation.pdf

Part k is the adapter cable. Picture 11 shows where the tied back connector is. :rtm:

Cheers R.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Um, just re-read your thread title. :oops:

If you have a power hood, then there should be a connector for the roof microswitch near where you want it already. In which case all you need is the adapter cable that would have been in the fitting kit.

Really sorry if I've led you on a wild goose chase.

Cheers R.
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

given up, lost interest, put it bed......

found out tonight when the air con is on it clears it up pretty quick so decided to put it down to experience and save the money for air con top ups :shrug
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Don't give up just yet, have a look below as this might help. I have found with my Z that all the looms are in place.

If you do not have the loom (like me, unless someone on here has a spare :?: ) then you could splice into the wires at the bottom of the connector.

Hope this helps.
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

thanks for your help

i do have the block in your photo but i assumed it was for the power hood, are you saying if i unclip this clip it will separate in 2 pieces and there's the part im looking for???
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

drdrake,

Glad you found it :lol:

If you have the additional wiring loom (item K on my picture) then this sits in the middle of white connector.

If you do not have this loom then you could modify the existing loom at the bottom side of the connector. To modify the loom you will need to identify 2no: cables, the first is the ground and the second is the switched 12vdc. You will need a multimeter to identify the ground wire, the switched 12vdc is located opposite the empty hole on the connector (as if looking from the top)

I hope this all makes sense?

Good Luck

Brian

Update:

Just checked my car see pic below

drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

hi all

if anybody has the loom I am missing please send me a PM im happy to pay you for it or make a donation up to you
FredBloggs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Hard top wire loom

Post by FredBloggs »

I found it in the boot. Teped very securely to the wiring loom. had to undo it and pull back into the cabin.
It was on the nearside.
Hope it helps.
Freedy B
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

hey

i found one taped to the main loom in the boot on the passenger side but it only had 1 x blk connector block (small)

could this be my unicorn??
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

Pulled the whole boot carpets and tool tray out this morning in search of the infamous LOOM!!

I dont even think Dog the bounty hunter could find the bugger in my car - he he

Anyway all that remains unclear in my head is can I purchase this loom as a single item or will I have to buy the whole HT kit from BMW?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

With ref to the loom - Not sure. I have been in contact with a dealer this morning, they are trying to find a part number. The dealer has emailed BMW direct to see if the part is a separate item.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Have you found the connector that Ardchyle indicated? This is the one you need and and it needs a small adapter to take the wires off for the heated screen - the other end of the adapter should be rejoined and carry on to the roof microswitch.

If you look about 6 posts back I posted a link to RealOEM giving the part number for the wiring adapter marked k in the fitting instructions. Assuming it hasn't been discontinued, you can go into any BMW and order it from the parts desk. At a guess it will cost you around 15 quid.

Cheers R.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Sorry, but I think people have been leading you down the path here. If you have a power hood then you have all the wiring you need in the car.

The connector you found near where the hardtop bracket goes is the one you want. Without a hardtop it feeds just the hood micro-switch. With a hardtop it feeds both the hood micro-switch and the demister. You seperate this connector and put the hardtop bracket wiring in-line with this. Then plug in the demister switch and you're all done. Facelift cars had the demister relay already installed.

There is a note in the intructions that some earlier cars had a slightly different connector for the power hood micro-switch, so when you seperate it it doesn't fit the hardtiop bracket. The hardtop kit does include a new connector and pins. If you have this issue and don't have the connector from your kit then PM me and I'll send you mine as I didn't need it. I doubt you will need this though as you have a facelift car.

You're very close to success now ;)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Got a message from the dealer this morning, they have apparently found the part number for the additional loom, It costs £11.80. I'll post the part number early next week once I have picked it up.
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

siwilson wrote:Sorry, but I think people have been leading you down the path here. If you have a power hood then you have all the wiring you need in the car.

The connector you found near where the hardtop bracket goes is the one you want. Without a hardtop it feeds just the hood micro-switch. With a hardtop it feeds both the hood micro-switch and the demister. You seperate this connector and put the hardtop bracket wiring in-line with this. Then plug in the demister switch and you're all done. Facelift cars had the demister relay already installed.

There is a note in the intructions that some earlier cars had a slightly different connector for the power hood micro-switch, so when you seperate it it doesn't fit the hardtiop bracket. The hardtop kit does include a new connector and pins. If you have this issue and don't have the connector from your kit then PM me and I'll send you mine as I didn't need it. I doubt you will need this though as you have a facelift car.

You're very close to success now ;)

EXCELLENT!! - sorry to be dence but I do have the white connector block already connected (i thought it was for the hood) it has 2 wires connected into it and spece in the block for 4 wires, do I need to disconnect this block and split it somehow or do i still need another part?

please help im getting totally confused now
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

drdrake wrote:EXCELLENT!! - sorry to be dence but I do have the white connector block already connected (i thought it was for the hood) it has 2 wires connected into it and spece in the block for 4 wires, do I need to disconnect this block and split it somehow or do i still need another part?

please help im getting totally confused now
The two pictures posted by Ardchyle show this quite well. You split that power hood connector and then both ends to the wiring that's part of the hardtop bracket (shown as item K in the first picture). On my hardtop kit that item K was already attached to the bracket. i found it easier to connect the wiring before securing the bracket.

Si.
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

si - sent you a pm
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

can anyone post a photo of what the wires look like when they are fully installed please?

i would like to see a photo of what im working towards
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by drdrake »

Ardchyle wrote:Got a message from the dealer this morning, they have apparently found the part number for the additional loom, It costs £11.80. I'll post the part number early next week once I have picked it up.
ARDCHYLE - PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED ON THAT PART NUMBER AS SOON AS YOU COLLECT IT AS I WANT TO ORDER ONE TOMORROW
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Picked up the loom today - This is it. The white connectors connect on to the existing loom and the black connector fit onto the hardtop fixing bracket.

Price was £11.18 the product codes are as follows: -

I will post some pictures once this is installed at the weekend.
drdrake

Z3 roadster 2.0

Update

Post by drdrake »

UPDATE!! I have just installed both the switch and additional wiring loom/harness, and im glad to observe the demister button lighting up but it does not activate the rear window demister

Apart from the fuse can anyone think of any other checks I can do please?

* one foot note, the loom came with an white adapter block which does not appear to be required in my circuit. so I do have 1 x small white adapter block left over.
stephenm1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stephenm1 »

Hi
Check the that you have the relay in the fuse box that is needed for the window heater to work. I had to put one in mine,cost under a tener .
Steve
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I'm having a similar issue to the OP I will be fitting a Hard Top to my 2000 3.0 this weekend and in anticipation I wanted to get the wiring sorted out to try to avoid having to dismantle the Storage Bin and the Roll Hoops etc, hunting for the loom.

The switch end was easy(ish) found the plug taped to the underside of the centre console and after much swearing and broken finger nails I managed to get the switch panel reassembled.

I'm hoping that the other end of the loom is in the same place as the one in the photo earlier in this thread, although mine appers to be hidden under a trim piece. Does anyone know how this piece comes out or am I going to have to dismantle the interior?

estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Wil the next person that finds the roof power connector and installs a hard top PLEASE take lots of good photos of the entire installation.

Thanks. :roll:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Bit late on my car, estocks - it's had hardtop brackets on it for the last 10 years!

I took a couple of piccies of the trim on my car so that you can see how it is attached. The piece that goes round the ram and roof pivot looks like it comes off and is replaced by a larger piece that covers the hardtop bracket as well.

The whole trim piece (well as much as isn't hidden by the hardtop):

You can just see one of the connectors for the K-loom lurking under the trim:

And this is where the screw goes - much easier to get at without the hardtop on - it is probably also worth removing the rubber top to the door seal - it is a push fit, but note where all the little fiddly bits are tucked in before you remove it:

The reason you can see part of the screw on my car is because the loop through which the screw passes is broken - no idea when that happened, might even have been when it was being fitted!

Cheers R.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Robert T wrote:Bit late on my car, estocks - it's had hardtop brackets on it for the last 10 years!
Heh, we need a simple guide from somone who has done the job. It should include every step, including locating the cable and inserting the new cables. People always get to the end without taking a single picture and then the next person goes through the same grief. :head:
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I'll take some piccys over the weekend during the install and perhaps we can create a guide from them.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Can't really tell from the pics above but when I got my ///M the hardtop fitting kit had been retrofitted.

However, the "top" replacement trim which has the new holes and rotating covers for the hardtop pins to go through into the bracket were not actaully attached to the car but still in the wrappers from BMW. I didn't know why and thought it must be a hard job to do.

When I had a go it took me all of 2 minutes.

There is only the existing screw/hex bolt (can't remember which) facing the front of the car that is unscrewed. The new trim is offered up and the screw goes through its original hole and into the new trim to secure it. There is then a further small retaining screw that is under the rotating cover.

So to remove should only be a case of removing these two screw/bolt and easing out the trim.

Not sure if this makes sense,of course if someone had taken pictures :roll: :D

ps all from memory as car 50 miles away so don't shoot me (and pics of my first Z thats why the trim is worn, brand new on my current Z.

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Dave L2 wrote:I'll take some piccys over the weekend during the install and perhaps we can create a guide from them.
Nice one.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

OK, found it.

Having found another set of notes and re-read the BMW instructions I realised that the trim piece in my other photo is the "Cover underneath the holding fixture for the tonneau" as described in the BMW instructions.

Armed with the other notes I "Pressed together..." as instructed (yeah right) and after a substantial amount of pressing, pulling and a bit of tearing it finally came out.

The piece is made mostly of foam with some rubbery plastic (right side one is all foam) and it is glued to the bodywork. The picutre above shows a "Hard Edge" to the piece which fits under the side trim and has to be worked loose, however the side trim does not need to be loosened or removed to get the piece out.

All of this will be included in the Install Guide that I'm aiming to write next week, but for the time being this might help someone out.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Managed to find some pics of mine with the trim off from when I was fitting my rollhoops. May be useful when working out where things go:

Cheers R.