Gearbox oil for a Roadster?

For owners of the Alpina RLE and Alpina Roadster
Leon.

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Gearbox oil for a Roadster?

Post by Leon. »

Anyone know if it would be the same as a 3.0l, and what that takes? Grade and capacity?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Leon

Search (use the words "Gearbox AND oil" to narrow the search) will bring up quite a few posts about this such as

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... earbox+oil

The gearboxes are marked as "filled for life" but the conscensous seems to be that changing improves the gearchange.

You could also ask Opie Oils for advice, they are members on here and post offers regularly and seem happy to advise :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Or you could :rtm:

:wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Leon.

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Post by Leon. »

garythefish wrote:Or you could :rtm:

:wink:
You mean read the manual?

It's not in there :wink:
Leon.

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Post by Leon. »

Jonttt wrote:Leon

Search (use the words "Gearbox AND oil" to narrow the search) will bring up quite a few posts about this such as

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... earbox+oil

The gearboxes are marked as "filled for life" but the conscensous seems to be that changing improves the gearchange.

You could also ask Opie Oils for advice, they are members on here and post offers regularly and seem happy to advise :wink:
Hi Jon,

I really wanted to know if anyone had any knowledge of the Alpina Roadster box and diff, but I appreciate your post.

I've felt the benefits of fresh box oil before and heard of the benefits on the Z so want to do it...

I've used Opie Oils before, and always buy the best stuff of them, trouble is, they don't always get the spec's right for the individual cars.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Alpinas use the same oil as the donor BMW. Since your's is probably the 5HP19 the oil would be the same as for that.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Leon.

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Post by Leon. »

estocks wrote:Alpinas use the same oil as the donor BMW. Since your's is probably the 5HP19 the oil would be the same as for that.
Actually, it's a 6 speed manual, not 5 speed auto...
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Leon. wrote:
estocks wrote:Alpinas use the same oil as the donor BMW. Since your's is probably the 5HP19 the oil would be the same as for that.
Actually, it's a 6 speed manual, not 5 speed auto...
Have you tried searching the forum at the Alpina Register?
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Leon.

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Post by Leon. »

estocks wrote:Have you tried searching the forum at the Alpina Register?
Indeed I have. It was suggested to be the same as the 3.0l, but no definitive answer.

Perhaps I should call Sytner...
pdwarren

M coupe S50

Post by pdwarren »

BMW use various "lifetime" oils, designated as MTF-LT-1, MTF-LT-2, etc.

As far as I can tell, you can't buy these directly in the UK but may be able to persuade to dealer to sell you a couple of litres.

Paul
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Leon. wrote:
estocks wrote:Have you tried searching the forum at the Alpina Register?
Indeed I have. It was suggested to be the same as the 3.0l, but no definitive answer.

Perhaps I should call Sytner...
I would strongly suspect your gearbox uses regular oil, since it is a standard gearbox. :wink:
Leon.

Z4 Alpina Roadster S

Post by Leon. »

edit.