Newbie potential owner

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Newbie potential owner

Post by freds dad »

Hi all. After thinking about it for a while and nearly going down the MX5 route Ive decided that Im having a Z3 and found this great site while searching around.

Ive been looking for a couple of weeks mainly on fleabay and autotrader but could do with more info about what to look for when going to view. Im going to have a look at this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

in the next couple of days and any help would be gretaly appreciated.

Ideally I would like a dark leather interior but would like to know if the power hood option is worth it or are they prone to breaking down?

Looking forward to lots of posting on here and hopefully my own Z3 in the next few weeks.
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Phew! At least you decided on a Z3! MX-5 - que huge belly laugh!

I`m sure everyone will provide their own thoughts as to which one to go for, but personally speaking and I know its obvious but make sure you are confident about the mechanics as parts are not cheap!

Finally, stay on this site, I have since buying my zed and the chaps on here are full of informative information and can really help when you really need it! My zed is now perfect/stunning following advice from here!

Good luck!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Check Mike Fishwick's Z3 buying guide in the knowledge base. The power roof/seats were standard on all 2.8/3.0. I don't know about the 2.0. The hardtop would be a £700 retrofit, becuase the brackets that fit it cost a whopping £270. A red roof is unusual, and they rarely go wrong.

If you intend to use it all year round, heated seats are a must IMO.

This car appears to have had the ///M centre console fitted by a previous owner, I don't think those guages were an opition.

Take some batteries and test the remotes. Fixing alarm problems can require trips to the dealer.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Hi Freds Dad and welcome on board.

There are some great "generic" tips HERE on what to look for :wink:

At that price don'tlet the mileage put you off, it has loads of history and so its all about how it drives / overall condition.

If the hardtop has been on for a long time the roof may not look its best when first raised ie takes a few days of "tension" to get back in shape fully :wink: ITs important that you remove the roof and check the softtop though. So long as there are no "tears" in the fabric / wear marks right through it can be cleaned up. The rear window may have severe scratching due to hard top being fitted, these can be cleaned up pretty well but worse case a brand new rear window is c£150 and a DIY job to fit (they just zip in and out).

I would be suspicious about the alarm batteries, why have they not rectified this. As said before may just be out of synch etc... but could be a dealer fix so ask seller to get batteries so you can see it working, if not thats £250 off the price stright away :wink:

full MOT so mechanics should be OK.

To be honest sounds in great condition ie no scuffed wheels / bonnet chips so suggests has been garage prepped for sale recently but be warey as most garages would not go to bother of respraying front on a car of this value so I would be asking some more questions about why he has only just bought it and were from etc.... (nb it may have had aftermarket wheels fitted and the original ones fitted back on ?)

Note electric roofs are not rare, in fact its rarer to not have one :D

As said above the hardtop and fitting kit could be removed and sold for £750+ any day so if you don't need it you would get that money stright back :wink:

The windbreak and tonneau again would cost you £100 - £150 to source normally. He does not know how to fit the tonneau though as it should be tucked under and looks a lot neater when fitted prooperly lol

It does not have the ///M consol as that has 2 rows of 3 round dials.

Lookslike a nice genuine car though with fantastic history.

Happy hunting and keep us updated with your progress :drive
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster

Post by Guest »

Hi Freds Dad - you'll be so glad you've decided Z3 but then again we're all biased on here :D

My only advice, for what it's worth, is forget all this guys hype about the car, he is a car dealer local to me and he's currently got 3 Z3's on his site albeit 2 are sold and both those were bought by male friends of his for their respective wives and were only driven in the summer and never in the rain !!?

His adverts are really well worded and thought about, he's a salesman after all so concentrate on the car, how it drives, sounds and looks.

Have a read of the really useful info on here to buying and be sure the car is right.....have you been to look at the car?

Don't worry about whether your Z3 has heated seats, I drive mine all year round, mainly with the roof down (even with snow on the ground) and I haven't got heated seats, if the heater works and you put a hat on.. you're sorted 8-)

Good luck...
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Firstly, I cant recommend this site highly enough, there is mountain of good information about Z's that will keep you informed and entertained for hours. I bought my wifes Z3 July last year after getting a lot of help and advice from zroadster forum members. In the end I actually bought from a forum member.

IMO if you don't have much experience of buying cars or mechanical ability it might pay to get an independent inspection like AA/RAC, will cost a few hundred quid but be well worth it if it avoids getting a minger. They are quite sophisticated and complex cars so it is important you don't buy a dog because if you do it could end up as a money pit.

Good luck.
ImageImage
Courageous

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Courageous »

Agree with Batterzee. Despite being a marine engineer, having been around cars all my 50 years and built a kit car I still caught a cold recently with a pup from the pound. The seller declared it as cat c repaired and on inspection I knew it was a bad repair but even a test drive didn't reveal it was bent. Its in the vet's being operated on as we speak and will soon be a happy mutt :D .

As has been said, avoid the mongrels at all costs and bring in profesional help if you aren't that tech minded.

A warm welcome to the hallowed halls as well by the way. Full of friendlies :)
In the land of the pigs the butcher is king.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I can't berate an MX5 as I haven't driven one, but the Z3 has some perculiarities of it's own. Most of the guides will provide the key areas.

There's a huge range of engines in the Z, which the MX can't offer.

Z's are generally sound, but service history and evidence of TLC might save you and if there's ANY questions, walk away. There's enoug good ones, unless you're looking at the cheapest Z's on the market and always likely to have patchy provenance.

I had to change the Z module that controls the alarm on my E46 awhile back and it's a dealer only part and c£500 fitted and re-programmed, so don't believe any stories about batteries IMHO!

Good luck & keep us posted with your quest. You could always start looking through the stock exchange on here as I've heard there's been some really mint examples :twisted: possibly :roll:

Buyer Beware!
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Thanks to everybody who has replied so far. I've emailed the guy about the remote batteries and will see what he replies and will post on here.

This site really has a vast amount of knowledge and what seems to be a friendly bunch. It is also very addictive as I spent about 5 hours on Sunday "browsing" various topics!

I will carry on my search and report back

Z3 roadster 2.8

2.8 for sale

Post by 0949459 »

Hi, due to extremely unwanted circumstances I have had to list my gorgeous 2.8 yesterday on Ebay. Please take a look item number 280482008584
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

OK after some research Im going to have a look at this Zed in the next couple of days

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Any helpful comments or advice more than welcome especially on particular things I should be looking for on this model.

Thanks in advance
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looks very nice, low mileage unmolested facelift 2.8 :thumb:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Freds Dad, I have had a quick look at these 2 Zeds. I have been looking online and visiting sellers up to 100 miles to get the Zed I wanted, picking it up tomorrow. All I will say is that I personally wouldn't go for the 130000 miler at that price, you can get a 70000 like i did for that price, and a nice one too. The 47000 miler is a fair price. I would suggest making the trip out to 100 miles to view a car as approx 25 quid petrol is a lot cheaper if you get the right car for the right price.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Hi all. Im still on the hunt for a good Z3 and there are some dogs out there.

Im going to view this one tomorrow and would appreciate any comments either good or bad on any aspects of this model and also the price.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Thanks

FD
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I've no idea as to price, but that colour combo with the white leather is stunning 8-)
Image :devil:
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Titan wrote:...that colour combo with the white leather is stunning 8-)
Agreed (and rare too). Would've been nice if the seller had cleaned the car prior to taking pics :roll:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
pwo

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by pwo »

not sure about the price , seems a bit steep to me . love the interior though . begining of last year when we got our 1.9 we only paid 4500 and that was at a garage same year but with a few more miles on it . you should bear in mind that the 1.9 8v is not very powerfull at all and if this doesnt bother you then thats ok , also bear in mind it doesnt have roll hoops and to put some in will be expensive . and see if it has a wind deflector as i couldnt get one to fit mine any where , these are some of the reasons why i sold mine ang got a z4 2.5 se
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Love the leather to look at but never fancied owning one that colour.

Price is 2.2 territory at that miles and year so overpriced to me as 2.2's command a premium.