M52TU or M52?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wella_fella

Z3 roadster 2.8

M52TU or M52?

Post by wella_fella »

How do i know what engine mine is and what does it mean?

Please go easy on me! we are not all enigneers!

I have a z3 2.8 1998 and i have found the following options when trying to purchase oil etc for it!

BMW Z3 Roadster, -Coupe 2.0/2.8 (M52TU, E36) (Z3 Series) (1998 - 2001)
BMW Z3 Roadster, -Coupe 2.8 (M52, E36) (Z3 Series) (1996 - 1998)
BMW Z3 Roadster, -Coupe 2.8 (M52, E36) (Z3 Series) (1998 - 1999)
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Check out the shapes of the 6 intake manifold pipes. The M52 is curly with a box accross the ends, the M52TU is right angles and smooth.
M52
M52TU
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
wella_fella

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by wella_fella »

any differences apart from visual?
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

hey estocks, the 3-series is the facelifted model, shouldn't that mean it comes with the m54 engine?

btw... looks like there might be an interesting story behind the pic, custom intercooler + turbo on it? *grin*
wwwwOOOff!!!
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

wella_fella wrote:any differences apart from visual?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M52

Major update was the addition of the double VANOS system on the TU engine...
wwwwOOOff!!!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

komis wrote:hey estocks, the 3-series is the facelifted model, shouldn't that mean it comes with the m54 engine?
Yup, but the intake is similar/same shape. It was the best picture I could find on Images.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

M54

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Turbo and intercooler? Try a belt-driven supercharger and an oil cooler!

Don't fancy the K&N breathing directly from near the radiator - why do people not realise the amount of power loss through making the engine breathe hot air? It also causes early pinking problems too, particularly with a blower of any kind.

The M52TU inlet manifold not only looks different from the M52, but it also incorporates a DISA valve, to seperate the front and rear three cylinder groups ay certian rev bands, and narrow idle air passages to increase low speed turbulence, and therefore fuel/air mixing, and a small balance pipe too. Quite clever - except for its ridiculously small bore.

Anyway - as far as oil is concerned, all 2.8 litre models take the same types, and have the same capacity - 6.5 litres including filter.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: M54

Post by komis »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Turbo and intercooler? Try a belt-driven supercharger and an oil cooler!

Don't fancy the K&N breathing directly from near the radiator - why do people not realise the amount of power loss through making the engine breathe hot air? It also causes early pinking problems too, particularly with a blower of any kind.

The M52TU inlet manifold not only looks different from the M52, but it also incorporates a DISA valve, to seperate the front and rear three cylinder groups ay certian rev bands, and narrow idle air passages to increase low speed turbulence, and therefore fuel/air mixing, and a small balance pipe too. Quite clever - except for its ridiculously small bore.

Anyway - as far as oil is concerned, all 2.8 litre models take the same types, and have the same capacity - 6.5 litres including filter.
Brilliant, great info Mike, thanks :) Any thoughts/comments on improvements? I've read about people swapping M52 for M50 manifolds because of the small bore but afaik this can't be done on a TU engine.
wwwwOOOff!!!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Manifold

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I have looked at a 3 litre manifold, and can't see why it will not fit my 2.8, so I'll try it this winter.