Slip differential on M Roadster

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mvanle

M roadster S50

Slip differential on M Roadster

Post by mvanle »

Has anyone been advised that they may be a fault with their Limited Slip Differential, esp on a '98 M Roadster ?
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

My M is in having inspection 2 at the moment. Its not the Diff they need to check its the mountings, I was informed of this when I took my car in this evening. Will let you know how mine gets on. Its a 98 car too.
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

mines a build date september 1998,as well ,
how much for the inspection 2,i have mine in 2 green lights time,
would the mounting fault show up on an mot,as just had mine done at bmw
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

The mounting fault would not necessarily show on an mot. It was just something that came up on the BMW servicing system that has not been checked. Bit like a recall but not as important, I think. My car is May 98 build date but not registered till oct 98.
As to inspection 2 cost I doubt I will get much change from £800 but Ill tell you more tomorrow when I collect my M. The Fluids need changing as well so will inflate the cost slightly. Oh and for the sceptics amongst us who say that joining the Car Club for £35 per year is not worth the money, inspection 2 time you will find yourself with 10% discount on the bill. I'll leave you to do the Maths!!!
Got a brand new 318i courtesy car to play with for a couple of days too, its only done 1400 miles :D I must admit though after driving the M its a bit tame, the gear lever is like waggling a broomstick, and it rolls around worse than a car ferry in a force 10 gale.
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

thanks tony,better start saving up for the inspection ,2 green lights.the amount of driving mine will get ,in the ,not so good weather will be nearly 0,so them 2 lights should last till 2008, :D :D :D
ajt

M roadster S50

nope

Post by ajt »

not heard of this,
is it different to the recall to inspect the read diff mounts? i had that done last summer sometime
pingu

M roadster S50

Inspection 2

Post by pingu »

An Inspection 2 will cost you 38 FRUs + Parts. An FRU is a standard BMW time unit that equates to about 5 minutes. The hourly rate per FRU should be available from your local, friendly BMW dealership.

Sytners of Nottingham quoted me around £7.50 + VAT and Bridgegate of Derby were closer to £5.50 + VAT. I can't remember the exact figures.

I used Brigdgegate and the final cost was £530. This included fuel filter, brake fluid, coolant, air filter, spark plugs, oil and oil filter, brake check, and computer fault code read-out. Some of these are not normally included in an Inspection 2 (fuel filter change [6 FRUs], brake fluid change [upto 16 FRUs] and coolant change [upto 9 FRUs] - I think). My only complaint was that they dropped the coolant by the radiator bottom hose, not the drain plug. Not draining via the drain plug can leave residues at the back of the engine.

Top Tip: You can supply your own oil and spares, as long as they meet the OEM specification. Halfords fully synthetic and motor factor supplied NGK / Bosch spark plugs may be the order of the day. Be warned - if they are not the correct specification, they are within their rights not to use them.
Pingu
oilman

blank.gif

Post by oilman »

Supply your own oil is indeed a good tip as I think the Dealers charge somewhere between £15 and £20 per litre! Ouch!

Suppose they need to make money somewhere :shock:

Cheers
Simon
mvanle

M roadster S50

Post by mvanle »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Got my car back this evening. All is ok with the diff mounts but that is done under warranty if needed. Its the spot welds for the rear Final drive mountings that need checking. I was advised by the dealer if anyone else is concerned about this theyt should ring thier local dealer with the Vin number for the car and the dealer should be able to tell you if the check is needed.

Oilman actually the oil charge from the dealers was not too bad @£64.31 for 6 litres of Tws, we are talking M Roadster here not Z3. The thing that struck me on my bill was the £70+ charged for 6 spark plugs.
Pingu the labour units for an M inspection 2 is 59 not 38 as you said in your post, mainly due to them having to check and adjust the valve clearances.

Final bill was £897 which did include the inspection 2, coolant replacement, brake fluid replacement and repairing the windscreen washers which decided to pack up on the way to the dealers. This bill also included 10% discount for being a car club member, so thats paid for itself for at least 2-3 years.

If you take off the extras, the inspection 2 works out at £764 with the discount
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

If I am reading the manual correctly - Inspection II is more comprehensive and expensive - just asking as mine will be due for Inspection I shortly

D
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Inspection 2 does deal with a few more items than the inspection 1, namely the spark plugs, gearbox and final drive oil changes, so the cost of an inspection 1 would be considerably less than the 2. See my post above for the cost of the spark plugs!
I would expect the inspection 1 to be in the region of £500 though (with club discount of course)