Z3 Strut braces

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.

I want one, I would pay....

Less than £100
59%
£100-150
33%
£151-200
3%
More than £200
5%

Total votes: 86

theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Z3 Strut braces

Post by theduck »

Quick background. I am friends with various people involved in the world of motorsport at various levels all the way upto manufacture of parts and calibration of Formula One cars.

Tonight I have been talking to one such friend who runs a small company called Vision Racing Developments - http://www.visionracingdevelopments.co.uk/ they are a young company but with the right knowledge and the right stuff to go a long way. They are interested in expanding into producing some parts for Z3s and of cause I am now encouraging that! After having a long chat tonight, we are looking at designing and producing a front strut brace, and if that goes well I am sure I could persuade them to make rear brace and body brace aswell.

What I need to know from you guys is how many would be interested in a good quality (equivalent to strong strut), UK supplied strutbrace, and what price point would you like to see such an item at?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I bet everybody clicks less than £100 :D

I have a strong strut so no vested interest from me but here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

There are some basics with a strut brace :

- it does not flex
- it fits well

The only real issues with fitting the Z3 ones are the battery terminal cut out, fits flush with the strut tower (which has ridges) and engine clearance / hood clearance for the various models.

Certainly a few out there seem to be for other models and don't have the battery terminal cut out or ridge cut outs to fit flush.

The strong strut is work of art, fits perfectly and looks fantastic in terms of style and finish but........ it is over engineered to actually do the job and you are paying a big premium just for the finish and looks.

I had a srut brace on my first Z3 that was unbranded, looked ok, fitted perfectly and did not flex ie it did the job just as well as the strong strut and cost me £90.

I think to really make this work you would need to produce one for <£75 that fitted perfectly with a design that did not flex and looked "OK".

I think if you go above £100 you are competing against the "named" brands and if you go high end nd copy the strut brace you simply will not sell many.

Just my thoughts but a decent quality sub £75 strut brace that fits perfectly should be a compulsary purchase in my book.

ps insurance disclosure puts a lot of people off fitting one of these ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

Jonttt thanks for the detailed feedback. If this goes ahead, they want to make an affordable, high quality brace, and this is why I am helping them with a bit of market research into what affordable is. General consensus so far is between £100 and £150, which I think makes this feasable.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Like Jonttt I also have a Strong Strut and agree with most, if not all of what he has said.

I will add though, I got mine via a Group Buy through this forum and paid well over £200, so although they may be over engineered for Jonttt's tastes it goes to show that people will pay a premium for a very high quality product.
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Just a quicky, a solid bar without any pivot points is best from a bracing point of view. A choice of finishes would also be nice.

I look forward to seeing progress with this as I'm yet to get round to getting & fitted a brace.
Estoril Blue S50 Z3M Roadster
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

I think these braces are way overpriced, the cost of a rear strut brace from Strong Strut is Scandalous, its a bit of bent metal with a couple of bolts and washers.

A realistic price for a front would be up to £100 and a rear £50.

J
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I would love an under bonnet brace that actually fitted properly on the M43 engined Zed, however it can be Zed specific even with the same model. I've been through 2 e-techs and a cheaper unbranded brace all supposidly for the 4 Cyl models. The e-techs were good but still had to modify to fit around the tower earthing point. The unbranded brace wouldn't fit at all even though the seller said they had never had any problems it fitting 4 Cyl Zeds. Problem I had with the e-techs was underbonnet clearance which pushed the bonnet up. Real shame as it definitely made an improvement. So if you do go ahead with making them, please make sure they will actually fit.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Bench

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Bench »

I have the e-tech so would say a decent looking brace for £100 -150 is about right. Some people will always buy cheaper ones but sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
VOLKAN

M roadster S50

Post by VOLKAN »

My Front Strut Bars brand is "Ultra Racing" and it is for E36 328i. It fits perfectly to Z3M and just takes 2 minutes. I just paid 50 GBP.

The link is;

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=2787
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i have an e-tec one that works fine but has started to discolour and looks like im going to have to spray it....so for me it still has to look the part under the bonnet as well as perform.
also i have to echo the O/P about the rear strut........noway on this earth would i pay that kind if money for a one piece bar...if they could do a rear strut for 50 quid they'd fly off the shelf.
the badness makes me do it...!

theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

TitanTim wrote:I would love an under bonnet brace that actually fitted properly on the M43 engined Zed, however it can be Zed specific even with the same model. I've been through 2 e-techs and a cheaper unbranded brace all supposidly for the 4 Cyl models. The e-techs were good but still had to modify to fit around the tower earthing point. The unbranded brace wouldn't fit at all even though the seller said they had never had any problems it fitting 4 Cyl Zeds. Problem I had with the e-techs was underbonnet clearance which pushed the bonnet up. Real shame as it definitely made an improvement. So if you do go ahead with making them, please make sure they will actually fit.

Tim.
I have access toboth my 2.0 6cyl and a 1.9 4cyl so will do what Ican to help get one that fits both, or one that for each as required.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Lookng positive.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Be carefull with under clearance of a butt strut, mine is off the car and was removed by 2 previous owners due to clearance issues (the car is lowered though) :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

theduck wrote:
TitanTim wrote:I would love an under bonnet brace that actually fitted properly on the M43 engined Zed, however it can be Zed specific even with the same model. I've been through 2 e-techs and a cheaper unbranded brace all supposidly for the 4 Cyl models. The e-techs were good but still had to modify to fit around the tower earthing point. The unbranded brace wouldn't fit at all even though the seller said they had never had any problems it fitting 4 Cyl Zeds. Problem I had with the e-techs was underbonnet clearance which pushed the bonnet up. Real shame as it definitely made an improvement. So if you do go ahead with making them, please make sure they will actually fit.

Tim.
I have access toboth my 2.0 6cyl and a 1.9 4cyl so will do what Ican to help get one that fits both, or one that for each as required.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Lookng positive.

Cheers for that, I would definitely be interested if one could be made that fits OK.

Some of my threads which may help. If you look at the pics of the e-tech I fitted it sits over the top of the engine which means fine tolerences between the bonnet closing and not closing correctly. I reckon if one was made so the cross bar sits further back and slightly lower would help.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ight=etech

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Jonttt wrote:Be carefull with under clearance of a butt strut, mine is off the car and was removed by 2 previous owners due to clearance issues (the car is lowered though) :wink:
the missus can walk past the speed humps... :D

pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

cosmo strut brace.

Post by pete59 »

i have just got a cosmo one off rasberry on the forum,it was on his 3.0,i want to fit it to my 2.0,i looked up the brace and it fits all the six cyl models up to 3.0 ,has any one fitted the same,or could i find any problems.thanks pete.
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

Does anyone have pics of an OMP strut brace fitted on Z3?
1955DavidR

Z3 roadster 2.0

Strut Brace

Post by 1955DavidR »

Depends what your main issue for fitting it is, I just wanted a structural brace due to the terrible condition of our roads, same everywhere at the moment. I wanted to pay less than £100 for a functional strut brace and was not particularly bothered what it looked like. I realise others want it to look good as well so there must be room for two versions:-

1) Does the job.

2) Does the job and looks good.

I ended up with a ChromiumTech one that is beautifully engineered and looks great. Had no problems with fit to my 2.0.
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

Anyone in the Wiltshire area willing to lend a bit of time to this for test fitting?

If so, drop me a PM
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

BUMP - Anyone wiltshire area for the above??
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Hi, may be up for giving you some assistance. Where abouts in Wiltshire?

I have a 2.0 6cyl if thats of any use.

Gary
sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

swamper wrote:i have an e-tec one that works fine but has started to discolour and looks like im going to have to spray it....so for me it still has to look the part under the bonnet as well as perform.
also i have to echo the O/P about the rear strut........noway on this earth would i pay that kind if money for a one piece bar...if they could do a rear strut for 50 quid they'd fly off the shelf.
Dude, could you please show mw some photo for yoour anti roll bar?
Very good looking :D :roflmao:
BMW Aero Side Skirt/rear spoiler & chrome roll bar/ handle
AC schnitzer front/rear bumper splitter,Exhaust,type2 17"
BC coilover/H&R swaybar/wiecher's strut
sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

All of my BMW friends (iincluding me) are using the Wiecher sport (WTCC)struct bar :thumb: (light weight / stiff)

swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

sobe_on wrote:
swamper wrote:i have an e-tec one that works fine but has started to discolour and looks like im going to have to spray it....so for me it still has to look the part under the bonnet as well as perform.
no........you might say its ugly :cry:

sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

swamper wrote:
sobe_on wrote:
no........you might say its ugly :cry:
:nono
Because I just install the similar llike yours, so that's why I want you can show me some of your picture........
wheelsinheaven

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 Strut braces

Post by wheelsinheaven »

Great idea. Make it over here. Hundreds of one/ two man steel engineers could set up for this. Find one who likes the idea of a modest regular income and negotiate the cost of making an accurate jig.

Even easier are the bottom cross and longitudinal braces.

I'm about to pay nearly a grand for the strong strut 'trilogy'. They use this description to mask the reality of spending so much money on few pieces of bent steel. Disgraceful. I wouldn't be surprised if bmw owned shares. I blame them anyway for giving these people the opportunity.
If they had made a car that went round corners properly we would all be a lot happier.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Trilogy...yes good marketing!

I'd first spend that grand on suspension and bushes before any braces!
No point stiffening up a chassis riding on squishy bushes and suspension!

You've probably read it already but the rear brace is more useful as a spark generator on our UK roads if you plan on lowering the suspension to make it look and handle better..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

there is a guy on Z.org that had his strong strut butt strut stolen back in september, he found out last month whilst cleaning under the car.

must make a really noticeable difference... :D

Emperors clothes spring to mind. :D :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

I'd have liked to see what happened when it was tied into the side struts...that was the plan any way

5harp3y

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re:

Post by 5harp3y »

theduck wrote:BUMP - Anyone wiltshire area for the above??
Where abouts in wiltshire?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Re:

Post by BladeRunner919 »

5harp3y wrote:
theduck wrote:BUMP - Anyone wiltshire area for the above??
Where abouts in wiltshire?
I think he may have sorted it since April 2011!!
5harp3y

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 5harp3y »

Haha you might be right!

on a similar note i've just seen these on eBay.

look great and really cheap!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Brace-S ... SwaA5WjwLO
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I have an ASC front strut brace on my 2.8. Its a good tight fit,sitting perfectly on the struts. Bonnet clearance is minimal, but okay. I have the strong strut butt strut and body braces. I haven't lowered my Z and don't intend to, so there is just about enough ground clearance. With all fitted I noticed a definite improvement in ride/handling. When pushing on, the ride seemed smoother and less 'jiggley', and the handling more secure.
Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Just seen these on EBay what does everyone think looks pretty good for the price not sure if it will fit a z3 though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350693420175? ... EBIDX%3AIT
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Ive seen a few cars with this type on them. The only thing to remember with the front braces is that the up and over ones will fit the 6 pots - the 4 pots need ones that bend round the back of the engine - after that you take you choice.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

When you buy a strut brace, don't forget to factor in the extra annual fee to the insurance company :shock: .

It needs to be covered, as what would have been a repairable without will probably write the car off if fitted.
Pingu
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Bonzo wrote:I have an ASC front strut brace on my 2.8. Its a good tight fit,sitting perfectly on the struts. Bonnet clearance is minimal, but okay. I have the strong strut butt strut and body braces. I haven't lowered my Z and don't intend to, so there is just about enough ground clearance. With all fitted I noticed a definite improvement in ride/handling. When pushing on, the ride seemed smoother and less 'jiggley', and the handling more secure.
Bonzo.
Afterwards I also replaced all springs, shocks, front strut mounts and ARB mounting bushes (all OEM). Also rear shocks top mounts (Lemforder) and all drop links (Myele), and this seems to have improved ride and handling still further.

:cheers

Bonzo
Last edited by Bonzo on Wed 06 Apr, 2016 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Bonzo wrote:
Bonzo wrote:I have an ASC front strut brace on my 2.8. Its a good tight fit,sitting perfectly on the struts. Bonnet clearance is minimal, but okay. I have the strong strut butt strut and body braces. I haven't lowered my Z and don't intend to, so there is just about enough ground clearance. With all fitted I noticed a definite improvement in ride/handling. When pushing on, the ride seemed smoother and less 'jiggley', and the handling more secure.
Bonzo.
Afterwards I also replaced all springs, shocks, front strut mounts and ARB mounting bushes (all OEM). Also rear shocks top mounts (Lemforder) and all drop links (Myle), and this seems to have improved ride and handling still further.

:cheers

Bonzo
sounds like you've turned your Z into a Volvo :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal