BMW Apprentice Technician Assessment? Help/advice

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

well done,you deserve it a million times :D :| :D :D :D
Larri
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by Larri »

Aww Brilliant news Adam - the persistance paid off in the end WELL DONE!!!!!
Larri ......Va Va Vrooooom!
Danger - Blonde with Attitude, light blue touch paper.......and remove yourself from area - sharpish
Miss M

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by Miss M »

:flower:

Absolutely brilliant news Adam, well done!!!! (and thanks for the email - such good manners! :wink: )
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Adam, how's it going?

Post by stu »

started yet?
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
pingu

M roadster S50

Adam's Tale

Post by pingu »

Just spent the last hour reading the best thread I have ever read on any forum anywhere. I was so hooked I even turned the telly off! Tales of ambition. Tales of sacrifice. The edge of your seat excitement of "will he, won't he"...

How much for the screenplay?

Seriously, I was genuinely enthralled. If either of my sons were to show the determination and enthusiasm that Adam showed I would die a happy man. Glad to see that you got your just rewards.

At the end of page 1 I was going to e-mail the thread to BMW GB just to show them what a loss to them it would be if you didn't get the job.

I started my career with a similar amount of enthusiasm. There were two top tips I was given. They may, or may not, apply. Adam can decide.

1. Youth and enthusiasm is no match for old age and treachery. - I suspect he would have found that out at the 'Certain' dealer. Hopefully, not too late.

2. There was a young bull and an old bull. The young bull says "there's a herd of cows in the field, why don't we run down and s**g a few." The old bull says "why don't we walk down and s**g them all".

Anyway, good luck to you, you deserve it.
Pingu
ADD

blank.gif

The news so far…

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

The news so far…

The dealership told me that it would be a few weeks before I could start as they had to sort out their paper work. Well when I woke up on Monday 27th September and opened my post at half nine and it was a letter from the dealership confirming that I had been offered the Apprentice Technician position and that my first day would be commencing at 8.30am Monday the 27th September (Oh my god not late on my first day). So I phoned them, explained that I had only just received the letter, they were fine about it and I started the next day.

I've now been there for just under three weeks and I’m loving every minute of it. Most of the time I’m working with the same technician (who is really good, explains things and is funny), but if he is away on training (4 days last week) I will work with someone else. Everyone at the dealership is really nice and friendly.

I’ve assisted with loads of different BMW’s and listed some of them below;
• E46 M3 SMG, 2xM3 manual, M3 Convertible – Replaced con rods bearing shells (This is a quality enhancement on all S54 engine apart from the CSL)
• E38 735i – New automatic gearbox fitted
• E63 645Ci – Used car inspection and coding. The cars control units were checked if any updates were available and 25 of the control units needed updating. The coding computer estimates the time needed which was 391minutes but if you plug in an extra cable the time is halved.
• E36 323i – New cylinder block. This took some time as the engine has to be removed, stripped, built and put back in.
• X5 4.4 – New door mirror
• E87 118d – PDI. It was great to go out in the 1 Series… just like an E60 5 Series but in a smaller body. The build quality of everything is as good as any new BMW, ride/road noise was very good, I think the space in the back is good for a car of its size and if you want more buy a 3 Series. It’s a wicked little car and I would fancy getting one in the future with the sports body kit as second car.
• X3 3.0L - PDI. Another BMW that I haven’t been out in before, I was impressed with the whole package but I would go for an X5 if I was going to buy a 4x4 as I prefer the exterior looks and I’m not so keen on the X3’s dials -speedo/rev counter which is similar to the Z4’s as I think they look good in the Z4 but not in a 4x4.

I still haven’t been out in either an E63/4 Six Series or E65 Seven (in a matter of fact I’ve only seen one E65 at the dealer which was today). So it will be very interesting to see how they sum up when I do.

I’ve been researching different brands of tools and I think I’m going to buy tools made by Britool. A lot of people seem to have tools made by Snap-On but I think some people buy them as everyone else does. A bit like when I was at school and everyone bought Nike trainers. I’m not saying that they aren’t quality tools but you pay extra for the name. Any views on tools anyone…?

Once again thanks to everyone again.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Moderators Note

The debate continued somewhat off topic regarding the S54 recall that Adam mentioned above. This discussion can be found here
Big Red

Z3 roadster 2.8

Tools

Post by Big Red »

"I’ve been researching different brands of tools and I think I’m going to buy tools made by Britool. A lot of people seem to have tools made by Snap-On but I think some people buy them as everyone else does. A bit like when I was at school and everyone bought Nike trainers. I’m not saying that they aren’t quality tools but you pay extra for the name. Any views on tools anyone…? "

Hi Adam,

I would suggest that you buy the best tools you can afford.
I have been in the motor trade for 24 yrs, and in my opinion, Snap On ARE the best.
I know they are expensive, but providing you are not going to be careless with them, leaving below the bonnet of cars, you will only have to buy once.
They are guaranteed for life, and are very well made.
You are going to be using the common tools every day, so you want them to perform well.
Inferior makes will break and wear, then you will end up buying Snap on.

What I would suggest is buy the most common tools that will be used all the time from Snap on, and the other stuff you need from another good manufacturer.
Most common would be 3/8 drive socket set, ratchet and extensions.
Selection of screwdrivers,flat blade, philips and pozidrive.
Spanner set, 7mm to 19mm combination,(open end ring spanners)
Pair of pliers and side cutters.
Pair of "Vice Grips"

This lot will set you back quite a few hundred quid, but remember it will last throughout your carrer if you dont loose anything.

Other stuff that isn't used so often, look at Brittool, Facom, Sealey,Kamasa, Draper and not to forget Halfords.
Do a net search for sealey tools site, they often do special offers.

I appreciate that money will be tight, and people say Snap On is not worth the money.
They are wrong in my opinion, I have tried most makes, and have eventually replaced with Snap On after they broke.

The same goes for Snap On toolboxes.
People will say you can get cheaper here or there.
they may look the same, but when you put your lovely heavy tools in the drawers, you will struggle to get them open.
These cabinets are made from very thin metal, and warp when anything heavy is put into them.

Buy the best you can afford, build up slowly.
Money saved buying cheap, will be wasted when you have to replace with better quality.

Gordon
If it isn't broken, Don't try to fix it.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

My father sold Snap On Tools for several years. They are unsurpassed. For example the patented 'flank drive' shape of their sockets & spanners will grip on worn damaged bolt heads where other cheaper sockets will slip & churn the bolt head up more.
Also the outer edges of the Snap On sockets & spanners are thinner than other makes so you can get into tight spots where others might not be able to fit. They can be thinner & yet stronger becuase of the extremely high quality steel they are made of.
Expensive but heck, they will last a lifetime..... as long as you can stop your mates/colleagues pinching them :shake:
Last edited by Robin on Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

I learn't the hard way, as you all have to start somewhere and I was an apprentice, I purchased some cheap tools(for my first day) to get me going, but as time went on I knew which tools were used everyday, so snap-on or Mac tools were purchased.
I can remember giving a 13mm spanner a bit of stick, it snapped (said they were cheap) and smacked my knuckles removing alot of skin :bawl: . From then on in I knew the value of a proper spanners.

Also if I and I'm sure the other guys had caught you using cheap tools, then some serious Pi*s taking would have gone on :lol:
It used to be the highlight of the week when the van came round (memories eh!!) Still got all my boxes, and the White anniversary screwdriver set :oops:
garyw
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Hi ADD, good to hear the job is going well. On the subject of tools I am no expert but my cousin is so I sent him a mail. He services caterpillar heavy plant in underground mines in the Northern Terrretories of Australia. This is a very hard (hot and wet) working environment and tools are really tested. He reccomended snapon firtstly for durability, secondly quality and engineering design, and he also commented that on the rare occasions tools did break snapon did not quibble and replaced the tools foc. It's only anecdotal info I know but he has been in the business over 10 years.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies about tools.

I always research anything I buy. I want things which have had some proper thought/design put into them. I bought an IBM ThinkPad as IBM hardware is so reliable as it has to be, to suit the demands of business users. Its not just that, its all the little things like a descent size keyboard, ThinkLight, where ports are placed, Access IBM button which loads support software, clear battery icon, 3 years warranty, no hassle support etc…. I could have bought a different higher spec laptop for the same money but I didn’t and I’ve never looked backed.

I bought a Panasonic pure flat 100Hz widescreen TV 18 months ago as in my opinion it had had the 2nd best picture quality when connected to my Panasonic Skybox (the Pace box was nearly as good) for standard TV viewing and even better when watching DVDs. I went for a 28” over a 32” as the picture is not distorted as it isn’t blown up so much. Also some people watch programs (like Friends) which are in 4:3 ratio in 16:9 ratio on their widescreen and can’t tell the difference…
Best for picture quality is Bang &Olufsen, I love their products…maybe it has something to do with my parents having a few B&O products. But you can easily tell the difference and I would have gone for a B&O TV but I couldn’t afford £5k. When I replace my current home entrainment equipment I’ll probably replace it with B&O if they are still as good as they are today.

I hope you all can see that I’m not trying to cut corners by looking into buying cheaper tools(Britool is expensive stuff), I want tools which let me do my job to the highest standard but not pay over the odds. I’m in no rush to buy my tools…I have 3 years to get most of the stuff I’ll need.

All your points are all valid and add more reason to buy Snap-On. I will still be researching for a few months before I make my decision. There is one thing I would like to point out that the Snap-On life time guarantee isn’t that good from what I’ve heard from the other Technicians. They say that Snap-On doesn’t easily replace broken tools.

Thanks again.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Big Red

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Big Red »

"All your points are all valid and add more reason to buy Snap-On. I will still be researching for a few months before I make my decision. There is one thing I would like to point out that the Snap-On life time guarantee isn’t that good from what I’ve heard from the other Technicians. They say that Snap-On doesn’t easily replace broken tools. "

hi Adam,

Looks like you do your homework before a major purchase, so no doubt you will make the right desition. I can almost guarantee that if not sooner, then later it will be Snap On :lol:

As far as broken tools are concerned, this very much depends on your dealer (the man in the van)

I have never had a problem getting worn or broken tools replaced, and have had a few dealers in my 24 yrs in the trade.
If mechanics are having a problem, then they need to take it up with Snap on UK if no joy with dealer.
The guarantee is excellent, and I think you are looking in to much depth what you are being told.
If i pay around £150 for a set of 12 spanners and break one, then you better beleive my dealer will change it.
He has a lot more to loose than me if he doesn't.
There are enough vans going around to pick your dealer.
And I have probably spent around 35-40k on Snap on tools.
They are the best, they are well made and finished and perform brilliantly.
Nothing else comes close, and once you start wasting time trying to remove fixings you have damaged with poor quality and fitting tools :( , you will see the light. :)

And i have no connection with the company :mrgreen: just a user of quality.

Gordon
If it isn't broken, Don't try to fix it.
ADD

blank.gif

Progress so far...

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Just keeping you all update on my progress, I’ve now been at the dealership for just under 7 weeks and I’m still really enjoying every minute.

The other week I was given my start date for my first few courses at Bracknell, I have my induction week starting on the 14th of March and then the following two weeks I have technical training which I can’t wait to start!

There have been so many cars I’ve worked/assisted with, I could be here all week writing about them, so I will write about some of the most recent.

• E46 M3 – Con rod bearing shells quality enhancement. On Thursday was the 15th M3 I’ve assisted with.
• E36 328i Convertible – Roof was sticking a bit and the customer asked if possible could the car have a KDS, which seemed weird…if possible…?
The roof rear window/screen had two bumps sticking up which looks a bit strange... All the tread depths/tyre pressures are check and set before a KDS including the spare. Just as I started to check the front left wheel as the technical opened the boot to find that there was no cover over the base of the boot or even a spare wheel because where the spare wheel is normally stored was a massive dent. Had the car been in a rear end crash? The rear bumper was fine…but the rear back right wheel wasn’t facing straight but toeing in about 20° and there was a dent just above the wheel. Opened the bonnet to find that both the front suspension top mounts had bubbled up, put it on the ramp and had a look under the car, the bottom of the whole car was damaged and two of the wheels were buckled. The owner must have gone over a bridge or something, got airborne, landed and bottomed out.

• E65 735i – The customer was complaining of a rumbling noise (they thought it was the shocks) and new rear pads were needed. Went on a road test, the rumbling wasn’t the shocks but something else. Put the car on the ramp to find that both the front tyres must have been under inflated at some time and the edges of the tyres were worn down badly but the front left tyre inside edge was worn so badly that it was down to the metal. The spare was put on the front left and the customer was told to replace the front tyres straight away as the car was unsafe to drive. New rear pads fitted.

• E39 528i Touring – Run flat tyre sensor indicator wouldn’t reset. GT1 (Group Tester One) computer didn’t find any faults with any of the tyre sensors or control unit, GT1 tells you the tyre pressure, battery life of the sensor etc which were all ok. Check all the wiring from the switch to the tyre sensor control until which was fine. Took a switch out of an E39 M5 to check if the switch was broken but wasn’t. Ordered a new control unit, programmed it and this fixed the problem.

• E83 3.0i Sport – Customer was complaining that the suspension was too firm. Replace the suspension to the standard kit from the sports package which came with the car. The customer came back again and was still complaining that it was too firm and thought that the springs hadn’t been fitted correctly. The technician I work with showed the customer a diagram from his E83 X3 Dynamic Chassis Systems booklet that the suspension was fitted correctly. I found out later that the customer had ordered the car over the phone and hadn’t even road tested the car before he ordered it….

• E39 530d – The car was missing when cold. Two new coil packs were fitted.
• E60 535d (With M aerodynamic body styling) – PDI
WOW…how nice does the E60 (silver grey metallic) look with the M body styling and a descent set of alloys, it looks very similar to the new M5, transforms the look of the E60! You really do have to see one in real life. I didn’t get the chance to go in it on the road test as we started the PDI just before we finished for the day and the technician I work with starts an hour before me, so he had finished the PDI before I had started the next morning.

There have been four S50 Z3 M Coupé (2 yellow & 2 silver) in. I’ve helped with MOTs on two of them (on the MOT ramp shaking the steering, brakes, hand brakes & lights). Nice to sit in one, as its just like being in a M Roadster…
Once I’m finished my apprenticeship, I still really fancy getting an S54 M Roadster in either estoril blue or steel grey (yet to see a descent photo of a UK M Roadster in steel grey) but a steel grey or carbon black E46 M3 SMG is very hard not to want more…

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

Well done, sounds like you are enjoying it. We thought if you persevered, then you would find a good dealer. Sounds like you may have done.

Keep your head down, enjoy the training, and keep your reports coming!
Simon Taylor
phooto
Giles

Not specified

Re: Progress so far...

Post by Giles »

Hi Adam - great update 8-)
ADD wrote:E46 M3 – Con rod bearing shells recall....
The Con rod issue is particularly pertinent as you know. Let us know if/when you do this for an S54 Coupe or Roadster :wink:
ADD wrote:E83 3.0i Sport – Customer was complaining that the suspension was too firm....
Good grief what's the point of buying the 'Sport' version ?? :shock: :shock:
ADD wrote:I found out later that the customer had ordered the car over the phone and hadn’t even road tested the car before he ordered it…
:roll:
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Good News.

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

:D We are happy, if you are :D .Adam, the GT1 computer is that one of a series of computers, 2-3-4++ for different problems or just different programmes ??. Client complains lack of power(possibly a ZM owner- you Know what we are like :roll: ) what sequence of checks is programmed in the computer??.bet it doesnt say "Check the Throttle cable on a S50 engine"??

Just realised 1/2 a Millennium posted, must try harder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
safetyfast
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

X3 Stiffy

Post by stu »

Definitely, making my bloody teeth fall out, but worth it in the twisties. :D
Paul R

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Paul R »

Great to get an update from you.......its a 'must read' item for me...glad your enjoying working life :D :D :D :D
ADD

blank.gif

Re: Good News.

Post by ADD »

[quote="ZZZEMMCO"]:D We are happy, if you are :D .Adam, the GT1 computer is that one of a series of computers, 2-3-4++ for different problems or just different programmes ??. Client complains lack of power(possibly a ZM owner- you Know what we are like :roll: ) what sequence of checks is programmed in the computer??.bet it doesnt say "Check the Throttle cable on a S50 engine"??quote]

There are a few different computer systems but GT1 is the main one used in the workshop.
GT1 is a bit like a thick tough TabletPC, it has a 14” touch sensitive screen which has a built in DVD drive behind the screen and harddrive which has the latest software for the GT1 system itself and software for the cars. GT1 doesn’t have a fan vent for processor heat, so the computer must run on some sort of ARM or similar chip.
Every month new DVDs arrive with the latest software.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Last week the man from BMW GB who I saw when I first took part in the assessment at my local dealership and I spoke to on the phone after the bad news (at the time) came into the dealership. We had a good chat about everything and he said that the dealership was very happy with me.

I used one of my days holiday to go to AMD Technik with my best friend in his Audi S3 for his remap. I had a quick chat to one of the staff there and was asking about their TotalBMW featured AMD M3 CSL rival. I asked if the remap on the M3 would be lost if the DME was reprogrammed at BMW (which they do when the quality enhancement for con rod bearing shell work is carried out) so if you have your BMW remapped anywhere and then the dealer update the DME you will lose the performance map and will have to pay full price to have it remapped again.

They did an excellent job on my friends S3, on the rolling road the standard car produced 209BHP and 216lbft which was transformed to 252BHP and 278lbft. It now feels like a different car and my friend is really happy with it.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:49, edited 4 times in total.
ADD

blank.gif

A quick update

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

I've had a very interesting week so far, as I've been busy helping remove and strip down an X5's 4.6L V8 as there was a knocking noise coming from the engine. Today we had the block and pistons apart to be sent off for measuring.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:18, edited 3 times in total.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Re: A quick update including a few photos

Post by greg_ch »

I think one of the bolts ran under the tool chest :)
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

4.6 guts

Post by stu »

are quite scary to look at, how many hours did it take to get it that far? I take it it's all covered by warranty? Wouldn't a new short engine have cost BMW less? Isn't it worth sending the used engine oil off for analysis if it's engine related?

You can see I'm curious I guess, so keep us informed still please Adam.
ADD

blank.gif

2005 update

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and happy new year.

Everything at the dealership is going extremely well and I'm really happy.

Now for the news;

BMW GB told the dealership that, last year 96.7% of customers were happy with the level of service/work carried out on their cars, by the service department.

The X5’s block and pistons came back, the measurements showed that there was a slight wear on cylinder 3 and piston 3. A new cylinder block, set of pistons and rings were ordered all under warranty.
The week just before Christmas, we started to assemble the engine and put it back in the car, which took three and half days. I wasn’t looking forward to putting the gearbox back in but it was easier than I expected.
When we started the engine for the first time, there was a horrific sound for 5 seconds before the oil had pumped around the whole engine. The engine now runs super smooth, as one would expect. (Before the engine just had a knocking noise without any loss in power or burning oil)

I haven’t kept up with developments on the forum as much as I’ve had hoped but I will give you another week of daily report for this week.

I assisted (the same Technician I’ve been working with since I started working at the dealership) with the following cars;
• E46 320i Convertible – PDI – This was a BMW Individual car, which featured brass metallic paint and olive green/yellow wood. Not my cup of tea for colour choice but it does stand out in the crowd but for all the wrong reasons.
• E39 523i – Customer thought that the car was lightly pulling right when driving and asked for a KDS. We checked the car over on a normal ramp, to look for suspension damage and tyre wear before going to the KDS ramp. The rear tyres needed to be replaced, the customer was informed and a new set of rear tyres were fitted. We carried out the KDS, found that the customer was right, as the toe and camber was out on the right had side, which was adjusted.
• E46 316i – Oil and engine lights were on. We checked the oil level to find that it was below the minimum, so we topped it up with 1.7 liters of Castrol SLX.
The engine was running rough, so a quick diagnostic test was carried out using GT1 which read out the fault memories. The stored faults were that, the car was running lean and had adjusted the fuel mapping to rich which was on its maximum setting. We checked that air mass meter and oxygen senor but both were fine. The technician tried to remove the oil filer cap while the engine was running to find that he couldn’t remove it. The engine must have some sort of vacuum problem. Checked the crank vacuum valve, to find that someone had tried to repair it before, using some sort of putty. The valve was replaced and the engine back up running correctly once again.
• E46 330i Convertible – Used car check.

More tomorrow

Adam
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

Adam

Nice to hear/read from you again and glad to see that now that you are settled in, you are still enjoying your chosen career as much as you did right from the beginning. It just shows persistence, motivation and a bit of luck go a long way in anyone's life.!

Interesting as usual to hear about the cars you have been working on, in particular the "lovely" bling bling of a brass metallic convertible! Not my cup of tea either, but I am sure the coke dealer that drives it does like it! :head: :head: :head:
Bart

a qualified - Northern Highlight - chuffin' nutter
Bloke

Other roadster

96.7%

Post by Bloke »

96.7% of customers happy with service Really?????? :shake:

Bloke

ps glad all is going well
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

Maybe the BMW marketing/moral department decided to be creative with the results and re-arranged the actual figure from 7.69% to 96.7%!

Keep up the reports Adam, a riveting read from day one.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Customer Relations

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Hi Adam, its good to be updated in 05.

Interesting to read the Customer satisfaction item.I was in to my local Dealer last week for an Oil Insp change . The following day had a call from service to ask if I was happy with My Service, reception ++++ all fine ,thanks.

3 days later another call, this time- GB.Similar questions + would I go back to them and idea,s to improve CR.So, as far as I am concerned, if one does not Complain about unsatisfactory service, things will not improve at a particular dealer. If this is a problem, then a call to Customer Services at Bracknell , does result in a closer monitoring of the Dealer networks--as it should.
safetyfast
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Annual Inspection tomorrow

Post by stu »

so will I be one of the 96.7%?
Phil

M roadster S54

Had Inspection 1

Post by Phil »

Service done 2 weeks ago -- expensive but everything done and car going well. Had a flat spot at 3500-4000rpm sorted now.
Interested to see the oil price for the service carried out in Inverness-- I've always understood that fully synthetic oil is required which costs about £11 per litre. ( see previous thread)
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

96.7% of customers were happy with the level of service from the service department.

Today’s cars were;
• E46 318i – Used car check
• E36 316i Coupe – We start work on this car last week. The customer was complaining that the car was running a bit rough and wanted it checked over, as he just bought the car 3 weeks ago. GT1 didn’t find any faults, so we were going to advance the camshaft/valve timing by a few degrees. Once you have the access to the cams, you need check the current timing by locking the engine by putting a special tool through the hole in the flywheel. This should put the both cams roughly in the correct position to be able to adjust the timing. However, the cams were miles off, looking at their position it as a surprise that the engine ran at all but we found that cylinder 1 wasn’t top dead centre as it should be when the engine has been locked through the flywheel. If we removed the locking tool and positioned the cams roughly to their correct place by eye, we found that cylinder 1 was at top dead centre. But the engine couldn’t be locked, as the hole in the flywheel wasn’t at 2 o’clock but was at 8 o’clock, making it impossible to time the engine. Therefore, the car must of have had the flywheel removed before and not put on correctly. We removed the gearbox to find that the dowel pin was missing and that the flywheel was rotated 180° off its correct position.
We fitted a new dowel pin and put the flywheel back correctly. Then we could correctly set the timing which was out a little bit. Once it was all back together, the engine ran as smoothly as I’ve ever heard an E36 316i.
• E36 318i Touring – The customer wanted the car to be checked over but no more than half an hour spend on it. In that half hour we set the tyre pressures, check round and underneath the car, topping up the antifreeze, engine oil level and found that the rear back right spring had broken.
• E46 325i Convertible – Customer said that the Sat/Nav screen (older 4:3 ratio screen) turned blue a few time but hadn’t happen for a week and that there was a rattle coming from the drivers door after the car came back from having the door lock changed.
We checked the Sat/Nav fault memory but no faults were recorded. We checked all the connections/wires for the Sat/Nav but couldn’t find or replicate the fault.
We found that part of the window regulator was knocking on the door causing the rattle. A new window regulator was fitted.

In November I was give the task of keeping all the used car batteries charged. Everyday I take a battery out of one of the used cars and put it on charge. Then once charged I put it back and do the same again to another car. The batteries vary in the amount of time they need to be charged, sometimes only an hour and others 5 hours. I was given normal job cards to record the cars that I have charged but the standard job card isn’t really suited to the task. So that first week I started charging batteries, I design my own A4 portrait size battery charging sheet which you can see a part of below.

More news tomorrow.

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Adam - great story about the 316

Post by stu »

it'll be something you can always guarantee, you have never seen it all!
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Today’s cars were;
• E65 730i – Used car check.
• E46 325i – The right rear passenger’s seat belt wasn’t retracting, a new one was fitted.
• E36 318i Touring – Inspection one.
• Mini One – Steering column replaced.
• Mini Cooper – The airbag light was on. The driver’s seat air bag wiring loom needed to be replaced.

Adam
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

I'll bet everybody out there is waiting to see their car appear on Adds' list after having some work done at a main dealers !! Haven't had an MC in with a rattle on cold start-up today have you Add ?!
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

If its worth doing -its -------ly.

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Adam, I like your Battery Records sheet, Think it should become BMW corporate ID for ALL dealerships-Bet Bracknell,s Hi Tech service bay doesnt have anything like yours. :roll:
safetyfast
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

One day someone’s car is going be on my list. We only seem to get a few Z3’s in and I still haven’t seen one M Roadster let alone 1 of the 79 S54 models. I’m surprised how many E46 M3’s we get, at least 2/3 a day. We also get a fair few E39 M5’s and have had about 4 M3 CSL’s.

Today’s cars were;
• E46 318i – PDI
• Mini Cooper S – The airbag light was on. The driver’s seat air bag wiring loom was to be replaced.
• E46 M3 – The customer reported that the horn was constantly on while driving. Also the PDC wasn’t working. We read the cars fault memory but no faults were found. The car only had rear PDC, so it is only activated when you put it into reverse. However, when we put the car in reverse, the reversing lights didn’t come on, so we checked the reverse switch connection on the gearbox and found that there was no power…checked the fuses to find that the fuse had gone. Checked the fuse for the horn and found that had gone as well. Road tested the car to check the horn didn’t come on which it didn’t.
• Mini Cooper – The customer reported that key remote control stopped working. The car had previous been diagnose and was thought that a new BC1 control module was needed. However, after trying a new BC1 control module this didn’t fix the problem. We found that the key was sending a signal to the car but it was incorrect. A new key was ordered and will need to be coded to the car and the car to the key.
• Mini Cooper S – Power steering rack was replaced.

Adam
Miss M

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by Miss M »

Wow! I haven't checked in on this for a little while, so much to catch up on!! I'm glad to see it's going so well Adam, I can't believe you've been there almost 4 months already! :shock:
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

So much news to post, I don’t know where to start…

Everything is going really well and as the weeks go on, it keeps getting better.

Last Wednesday I was asked to carried out an Inspection 1 on an E46 330i Convertible all by myself (the work was checked after I had finished). This may not sound amazing as I already basically carry out Inspection 1s but I normally have a Technician working with/looking over me. Also, it was well over a year before they let either of the other two apprentices do an Inspection 1 on their own.

As I have been with the dealership for a few months already, I have been invited to attend a one day (23rd February) Induction Workshop at Bracknell to assist with my training. During the day I will meet my Career Programme Advisor, undertake some essential work on Health & Safety and gain the understanding of my NVQ Portfolio.

Tools tools tools
The other week I was told that my first year’s tool budget was available for me. I decided to order Britool tools with the budget for lots of reasons including;
• Britool uses the best forging technology (traditional drop forging, upset forging and cold forging) solutions which give the most uniform, linear grain flow as only this will give the highest levels of strength and durability.
• Stress Relief Drive (same design idea as Flank Drive on Span-On tools)
• Unlimited Guarantee

I'm really pleased with the tools and they give me the best opportunity to carry out a variety of tasks in the workshop by myself.

Out of my own money I bought myself a black Waterloo cabinet which features Posi-Latch drawer securing system, ball-bearing sliders etc.

After hours searching on the internet I found a website which sold the ‘BMW.WilliamsF1 Team’ insignia(60cm x 14cm) which I ordered. I put it on the inside of the lid of my top cabinet for the finishing touch. I will take a few photos and post them on here next week.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

M roadster S54

Sounds good

Post by Phil »

Glad you're enjoying it -- keep up the good work
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Adams Progress.

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

WOW!!! Adam , congratulations on your progress, doing an Insp 1 without attended supervision , is a statement of confidence in you--and confirmation of the Dealerships assessment of your ability, SO--they will be congratulating themselves, on their astute " I can Pick em".

How much experience have you, for the GoKart session??, zroadster.net,s No 1 Junior Technicians champ title is up for grabs, are you getting some more laps in , before that Final day,When is it??.
safetyfast
ADD

blank.gif

Re: Adams Progress.

Post by ADD »

ZZZEMMCO wrote:How much experience have you, for the GoKart session??, zroadster.net,s No 1 Junior Technicians champ title is up for grabs, are you getting some more laps in , before that Final day,When is it??.
I normally go karting a few times a year but haven’t been to the Thruxton circuit before. Maybe I’ll get a few laps in before I go…as they say practice makes perfect. Even Michael Schumacher needs to practice.
Knowing my luck one of the other apprentices will be a Kart Champ but I like a challenge.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Yesterday I had my one day induction. There were 3 CPAs (Career Programme Advisors) controlling the induction with 12 apprentices (6 from my group). We first covered Health & Safety, which was very informative about all the risks/hazards in the our working environment and using the correct PPE (personal protective equipment).

I enjoyed the day and got more of an insight on how my apprenticeship will develop.

Now, for the bad news… today I was told that …the Go Karting on my induction week has been cancelled for logistical reasons. I was really looking forward to this ...

More news soon

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Thanks Again Adam

Post by stu »

sounds very like the structure of my RAF apprenticeship all those years ago (82-85!).

Hmmm, project ..... 4.8 V8 in an X3 interest you?
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Re: Thanks Again Adam

Post by Bryn »

stu wrote:sounds very like the structure of my RAF apprenticeship all those years ago (82-85!).
Did they have planes back then???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ADD

blank.gif

Induction week

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

On Monday I got the train to Bracknell and then it was a bit funny turning up at CFD (Centre For Development) in a blacked out Mercedes-Benz E-Class Taxi.

I’ve never seen so many BMWs parked at one place.
I joined the rest of my group in the canteen for lunch. After lunch we had a quick tour through a training workshop which was spotless, full with a range of BMWs. We then filled in a few forms, in one of the training classrooms.
We were told that they had an M6 on site somewhere but no one would be able to see it until it has been officially tested by the press.

We then headed to The New Forest by coach. We stayed at a Manor House with over 30 acres of land.

The group was split up into two groups of seven. We would stay in these groups for the rest of the week. Both groups would cover theory work in the same room at the same time sitting in our groups.

Each group had to give their team a name and dictate someone as their team leader. Our team was called ‘Sleep’ and the other team was called ‘Bedheads’. I was made team leader.

Each team would get points for indoor and outdoor activities. As they say points means prizes!

There were loads of outdoor activities including;
• Spiders web - You have to get all team members through a spiders web without touching the web (only three lives) and once you have gone through a hole you can’t use it again.
• Mines – You have travel from one area to another only using two planks of wood. The planks have to rest on tree stomps and can’t touch the floor.
• Bridge – You have to travel along a difficult bridge.
• Raft – You have to build a raft using up to four planks of wood, 4 plastic barrels and some rope. Then race the raft over to the middle of a lake and then back. Followed by dismantling it and putting all the pieces back.
There were loads of points for building the raft first, winning the race and dismantling it the quickest.
We build ours the fastest.
For the race, we had four people on our raft (including me) and three on land, the idea was once we got to the middle of the lake, the three on land would pull us back in as we had loads of rope attached to back to of our raft.
The Bedheads had the same idea with the rope…a last minute copy. But they had six people on their raft and only one on land.
We got the better start but they soon had more power and over took us. They went past the centre of the lake as they were going too fast and then crashed into us as we got to the middle. Then both teams were racing back but the Bedheads had too much extra rope and only one person pulling them back with all that extra weight.
We had three people pulling us back at great speed, we pulled out a massive lead. The four of us on our raft started to undo the rope which was holding the raft together before we were 2/3 back to gain more time for dismantling. We got back to land and finished dismantling the raft just as the others started to dismantle theirs. Three wins :D in a row can’t be bad!

Climbing activities;
• Flower – Four team members have to climb up a vertical pole 35/40ft high :roll: with a very small platform (1.5 ft by 1.5ft) to stand on at the top. Once all four members are, up for bonus points, each member holds another’s left and right arm and then all members lean back which looks a bit like a flower opening. All I can say is this was wicked fun and a bit scary at the same time.
• Leap of faith – You have to climb another vertical pole 35/40ft high :cry: with no platform at the top, just the poles surface area. Once at the top, you have to jump and grab a horizontal handle bar hanging 6ft in front of you.
• Catwalk – Climb up a vertical pole and then walk a across a horizontal pole to another vertical pole.

On Wednesday night we had a five mile walk/hike to complete in The New Forest, with five checkpoints to find which all had a small task to complete. We left at 7.30pm and were told that the earliest a group had arrive back was midnight but the worst was 4.30am. We started off bad, not very good at map reading to begin with (where’s your satnav when you need it the most?), missing the first checkpoint by 200 meters but once we found it and completed the first task in record time, we were on our way.
We correctly completed four out of the five tasks, arriving back at 1.10am and beating the other team by a good half an hour.

For the week’s indoor and outdoor activities we scored a total of 1206 points and the other team scored 1119. A good clear win :D of 87 points!

And as they say points win prizes!
Everyone in both teams won a BMW.WilliamsF1 Team cap and everyone in my team won a BMW.WilliamsF1 Team T-Shirt.

I had a really fun, exciting and interesting week. It was well organized and put together. We all got to know each other well and all made good friends. I’m really looking forward, starting my technical training next week!

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 05 Apr, 2005 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Team Leader

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

:shock: Sounds A little like our Website today-Getting better All the Time!!!!!

Well done Adam-- Good thinking and being alert to various possibilities, in overcoming unusual probs.It was good to be Voted Team Leader, that will go on your CV for your Future-all serious stuff!!.--As is, the World of BMW .
Looking around the facilities at Bracknell, one used to envy the new approach and thinking, for to-morrows world.It motivates New idea,s. :idea:
safetyfast
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

What a ball

Post by stu »

and you say they call it "Training". Sounds like an idea there.

Glad you had a great time and remember, it's not the taking part, it's the winning that matters.

Thanks for the update Adam.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Well done Adam.
Not sure I could have done the pole climb and jump from the top etc. You certainly have to trust the other guys in the flower thing though.
Keep it up.
drcrispy

M roadster S50

Post by drcrispy »

That's it, I'm handing my notice in and becoming an "Apprentice" :D

I would love to do Adams job, bit late know though, getting old :(

Keep us updated . . . :D