BMW 3G EWS alarm-coding keyfobs-SOLVED!!

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
jsebright

Z3 roadster 1.9

Success

Post by jsebright »

Just want to post to say that I had success with this recently.
Just acquired a 1997 1.9 which came with a remote fob that didn't seem to do anything. Thought that the alarm had been ripped out at some point in time, but on seeing this thread decided to investigate.

Found the siren at the front, so decided to switch it off and take off the glovebox & trim. Found it mostly straightforward, but one of the screws holding the alarm box in place was a security bit - like a T20 but with a spike in the middle to be awkward. Invited round a friend who had some different bits to see if he could help, and he managed to knock out the spike with the end of a screwdriver making removal of the bolt then straightforward.
Took about 10 minutes playing with the pins to see if I could get it to do anything. Seemed that pin 1 was the one closest to the middle of the unit, and connecting that and 3 & 4 locked and unlocked the doors & flashed the indicators. Not sure whether it would work or not, but managed to carefully put the receiver back on without bending the pins too much (fiddly), flicked the learning switch, and was amazed when the car started responding to the keyfob!

Putting it back together was tricky - for some reason the alarm bracket didn't seem to align with 2 holes, not quite sure why, so it's in there on one screw now, but doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The only other issue is that I can't get the siren to sound. I have the key for it, but whichever position it's in it remains silent - I can get the lights to flash if it's armed and I open the door with the key, so the unit is mostly working. Might try disconnecting the siren to see if the connections are clean.

Thanks for the thread - very helpful.
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: BMW 3G EWS alarm-coding keyfobs-SOLVED!!

Post by theskippies »

Hi, I've tried this but...
I had no led light, then after taking off the receiver my alarm set off.
Doesn't seem to matter what I short, doors don't lock and now alarm is armed continuously.
Anybody any ideas? Ta
Sometimes I should just leave things alone :head: :head:
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

theskippies wrote: after taking off the receiver my alarm set off.
Doesn't seem to matter what I short, doors don't lock and now alarm is armed continuously.
Anybody any ideas? Ta
Sometimes I should just leave things alone :head: :head:
Been there done that,...

Just shut the doors and put up with the noise and neighbours curtains twitching until you work out which way round to hold the module so that pin one is on the left and short away until it beeps and turns off the siren...,

I did a thread on another forum but pretty sure the info will be above on this thread having glanced at the comments above (without actually reading in-full of course :lol: )

PM me if you want a link to my other thread and I'll dig it out of the ether :wink:
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

Ta, I tried both ways, 2 hours and every combo.
Other thing I have now is a temp short between pin two and five as that shuts the alarm down
Back to it in the morning I think :bawl:
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re:

Post by markhinton »

*snip*
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Mornin' all.

I feel so close with this, yet so far. After dropping the glovebox out, I'm having a rather troublesome time removing the alarm unit itself.

I have removed the silver screw on the left but having much more trouble with the one on the right. As another poster has said, it appears to be some kind of security screw.

Does anyone have any further guidance on how to get this one out? Im wearing of having a go at it with a flat head screwdriver and destroying the thread.

:dunce:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you have the big fob with the red and grey buttons, you don't need to remove the alarm unit to programme it - it's put into learning mode by moving a switch that's hidden under a rubber bung. Have a look at this link:

http://zroadster.org/wiki/bmw-z3/guides ... ogramming/

Although they do remove the unit in that guide, you can see that it's unnecessary as the switch is accessible anyway.
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Thanks BladeRunner. The only issue being that the alarm is currently armed with no response from the house bricks.

Therefore I have to remove the unit to short the pins, correct?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Ah, yes. In that case you need something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/33-piece-security-bit-set-11520
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Thanks again BladeRunner. They are a couple of quid on eBay but because of my impatience with having to lock and unlock with the key, I'll be off to Maplin shortly!
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

tapetheescape wrote:Thanks BladeRunner. The only issue being that the alarm is currently armed with no response from the house bricks.

Therefore I have to remove the unit to short the pins, correct?
Is your house brick transmitting? - If yes - you may be able to just reset it using the `learn' switch without the need to short anything. Note: the unit in which the switch sits is a plug in to the main box.

As Bladerunner says you may be able to do this without removing complete unit.
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Thanks Jonco. Yes, both housebricks appear to be transmitting as I am getting the LED on the remote.

The good news is that the security torx from Maplins has done the trick and I can now get at the switch. After a lot of looking, I managed to prize the little quarter unit to reveal the pins (for others reference, this isnt one of the connectors on the back of the unit that is connected to the car). Somehow I managed to disable the alarm system, I then programmed the keys by switching the switch and then switching back once programmed.

Before I started this process I had no central locking as I had to remove the fuse to stop the alarm going off. I now have central locking that works with the key fob when you unlock the car (bleep, flash of hazards, all doors unlock). However, when I press the red button to lock the car, only the alarm is activated, not the central locking.

Is this something anyone has come across? It feels like Im so close!
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

tapetheescape wrote: Is this something anyone has come across? It feels like Im so close!
Sorry - afraid not. At a guess you may have disturbed something during the exercise. My instinct would be to re-trace my steps . Good Luck-
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If memory serves, there are separate lock and unlock wires. Either you have disturbed the connection, or the fault has been there for some time. What happens when you lock the car with the key or by pushing down the driver's door button?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Robert T wrote:If memory serves, there are separate lock and unlock wires. Either you have disturbed the connection, or the fault has been there for some time. What happens when you lock the car with the key or by pushing down the driver's door button?

Cheers R.
It all locks fine as it should if I press the lock down or use the key. It only doesn't work if I use the remote.

I'll have a faff tomorrow on my lunch break :head:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Lock the car and set the alarm, press the disarm button the remote, does this unlock the car?
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Brian H wrote:Lock the car and set the alarm, press the disarm button the remote, does this unlock the car?
Yes it does. However when I then press the button to lock and arm the alarm, it only arms the alarm and the central locking does not lock.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

tapetheescape wrote:
Brian H wrote:Lock the car and set the alarm, press the disarm button the remote, does this unlock the car?
Yes it does. However when I then press the button to lock and arm the alarm, it only arms the alarm and the central locking does not lock.
^^Good news, you are just about there. As Robert T said there are a couple of wires you need to find for the central locking wires from the alarm, I am afraid I have no idea where they tap in to the system but I would check the loom going in to the passenger door, it is right next to the alarm system behind the glovebox. Gookah has replaced a few alarm systems maybe he knows?
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

A loose connector perhaps?

My glovebox area is still a wirey mess so I'll have a poke around and check if there is anything obviously unseated.

When I lock with a key, the central locking works. It is only via the remote that it will not lock.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

tapetheescape wrote:A loose connector perhaps? ........
Correct, It looks like the lock signal from the Alarm system is not getting to the car.
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Also, to help anyone else who revisits this thread and struggles to find the pins to short, this is what they look like when you've removed the reciever module. The reciever module can be prized away from the main brick with a flat head screwdriver.

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Brian H wrote:
tapetheescape wrote:A loose connector perhaps? ........
Correct, It looks like the lock signal from the Alarm system is not getting to the car.
It could also be a faulty alarm unit, either way you need find the wires to test.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Do consider the perennial boot-loom issue as well - this can give all sorts of central-locking related problems.
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Do consider the perennial boot-loom issue as well - this can give all sorts of central-locking related problems.
I had already checked that, the loom casing all looks intact and in good condition.

Im getting the rattle at the rear (shock mounts?) issue too now :twisted:

In a strange way, I'm kinda enjoying it as I've not done anything to a car before in my life :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

tapetheescape wrote:I had already checked that, the loom casing all looks intact and in good condition.
Unfortunately it is the wires inside that break due to repeated bending and flexing when opening and closing the boot lid. The only way to tell is to look underneath the sheathing as it can look fine from the outside. I can understand the reluctance to cut it, so one more test - does the central locking operate from the boot?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
tapetheescape

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tapetheescape »

Oooh, interesting.

Using the key to unlock the boot, it unlocks all doors. Using the key to lock the boot, only the boot is locked. The passenger and drivers side doors are not centrally locked by the boot.

Perhaps something is a bit dodgy in the loom? The passengers side door does not operate the central locking either locking or unlocking.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

tapetheescape wrote:Oooh, interesting.

Using the key to unlock the boot, it unlocks all doors. Using the key to lock the boot, only the boot is locked. The passenger and drivers side doors are not centrally locked by the boot.

Perhaps something is a bit dodgy in the loom? The passengers side door does not operate the central locking either locking or unlocking.
Have a read of this thread:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=34807
vdbss

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by vdbss »

Hi! OK, old thread revival but I am currently experiencing the same issue, i.e. car has forgotten my key fob whilst battery was disconnected over the winter. Alarm was previously disengaged but when the car was woken up for the spring, the alarm appears to have defaulted back to active. When I first got the car the central locking worked on the fob but I didn't bother using it much as I don't like carrying the 'brick' fobs round every day - I've had a few different E36s before and have lost the fobs when the plastic housing cracks and they just fall off the keyring never to be seen again. So, I prefer to just open and close the car with the physical key - which stops the locks getting unreliable through lack of use anyway. So now I can't get in and out of the car without the hazards going off, which is annoying as it draws attention and causes other road users to expect a hazard when there isn't one.

Anyway, I have stripped the glove box out, got to the alarm module, separated the two halves exposing the eight pins, located the switch to activate/deactivate 'learn' mode. Then, this is where things start to deviate from the write-up a little, I have been sitting in the car for around two hours trying to get the doors to do the lock/unlock bit with no success.
I am sitting in the car, on the passenger side (does the driver seat occupancy sensor play a role in this?). Otherwise I can't reach the pins to short them.
Doors are closed. Boot and bonnet (trunk/hood) both closed. Roof is up. Driver's window is open. Using a piece of stripped copper wire to do the procedure.

When shorting the pins one of the following things will happen 1) the hazards will flash for 20-30 seconds as if I had opened/closed the door, the LED will continue to blink. 2) the hazards will blink twice as per activation/deactivation. Then the LED will remain lit for a few seconds then go back to flashing. 3) if I hold the wire across the pins and leave it there, the LED stops blinking til I eventually remove it again, and 4) nothing at all.

After the first hour or so of shorting the various pins, all of a sudden the doors locked. 'Great' I thought to myself, 'Finally we're getting somewhere'. An hour later, still no unlocking of the doors despite attempting every single pin combination over and over. Then, nature called. Fortunately I'd left the driver's window open as the doors were now deadlocked and I had to operate the locks with the key to get out of the car. Otherwise I'd probably still be stuck in there now. Got back in the car and after another hour have not managed to get the locks to close again. Calling it a day for today as it's starting to get cold and dark out.
Have tried the procedure with the 'learn' switch both activated and deactivated, doesn't seem to make much difference. Have continued to press buttons on the fob at various stages throughout the procedure and nothing happens. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong??
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I assume you have put new batteries in the fobs, just to be sure you're transmitting with enough power? Where you sit is irrelevant - there's no occupancy sensor on the drivers seat, as it's safe to assume that a car that's being driven has an occupied drivers' seat!

I'm a little unclear about exactly what you're doing - I assume you have the two sides of the module together and have flicked the switch to 'learning' mode?
vdbss

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by vdbss »

Hi, thanks for the help
I haven't put the two haves of the unit back together yet as shorting the pins doesn't seem to result in the doors locking and unlocking as per the various how-to guidesI've looked at. Some mentioned specifically that you need to be sitting in the driver's seat to do the procedure. As I understand it the procedure is expose pins -> short them resulting in a lock/unlock cycle -> flip the 'learn' switch -> operate the fob.
AFAIK the battery in the fob is good, it's still within expiry date and the LED lights up nice and bright when the buttons are pressed. But in any case if the locks aren't responding to the pins being shorted (apart from one isolated occasion, I'd been fumbling with the pins for an hour and am not sure if/what I did different to make that happen. I was then deadlocked in the car and no amount of pin-shorting made them open again, in the end I had to use the drivers door keyhole to let myself out.

Only reason I mentioned seat occupancy sensors is I know that my other E36 has them in the front seats as part of the SRS airbag system, I know it's logical that the driver's seat would always be occupied but then some cars have a driver's seat sensor which can cut fuelling when it detects the driver is no longer in the seat in case the car is rolled.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I didn't short any pins when I did mine - just flipped the switch to the learn position, basically following the instructions at https://zroadster.org/articles/3g-ews-r ... amming.24/
vdbss

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by vdbss »

yes but in my situation I have to short the pins as the alarm has somehow defaulted back to 'active' (after two or three years of being deactivated by previous owner) and therefore needs to be reset in order to re-learn the fob.

Also, I forgot to mention, it looks like someone has been in there before me because the alarm module halves were held together with tape and a couple of the pins seemed a little bent out of shape!

I needed to use my car again so I have effected a quick fix shorting all the pins with tinfoil! Obviously this can't go on forever so I need to get to the bottom of this, either fix it or delete the alarm for the time being until I can get an aftermarket replacement installed.