New Z Enthusiast! Manchester

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

New Z Enthusiast! Manchester

Post by Three Syllables »

Hello there!

I've been a lurker on these forums for a couple of months since purchasing a 2000 2.0 Z3 in Aegean Blue, and I thought it was about time I said hello!

I'm in south Manchester (Sharston) if you see me driving around or for any meets etc, I'd love to get involved.

I've only ever owned rovers for my entire driving career (8 in total) scaling up to what was my pride and joy - a Rover Coupe VVC which I cherished. I genuinely thought that the way it drives was about as good as it gets, until I drove this - it quickly set in how good a car could feel on the road :)

I'm particularly interested in building a high quality sound system in the car, with a custom subwoofer build like many have done where the rear storage boxes are - and plan on doing a step by step build with pictures.

I guess I'm introducing myself now, because of a few issues with MOT failures that I could use some help with:

Rear Brake pipes Nearside/Offside showing excessive corrosion.

Is there anyone in the area who could recommend a good garage who I won't get ripped off with? Or anyone good at doing driveway repairs for these that wants to make some cash?

I've got all the brakes to replace, the front control arms + bushes, tyres, rear shocks and the handbrake to inspect and a couple of other bits - sadly someone let this car slide before I bought it but I'm happy to put in the effort to get it right as it's really rather special.

Mint

blank

Re: New Z Enthusiast! Manchester

Post by Mint »

Sorry can't help with you question but I'm sure someone will be long soon. so.....welcome to the forum from another Agean Blue owner there are not many of us about :)
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Hi & Welcome.

Lovely colour.

Good luck with MOT work on the wrong side of the Pennines ;)
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Welcome, nice looking zed

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

Welcome I have found the folk on here to be a right friendly and helpfull bunch. Good luck with your new car. I think the Z3s are lots o fun and wished I had bought one ages ago.

Moray
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Welcome, very nice looking zed and especially in that colour. Any plans on modding it? Would look good lowered a little and spacers on the rear wheels :)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Hi welcome to the forum.

I can recommend http://www.darren-wood.com/ if you want some work doing. A great bunch of blokes who will talk BMW with you all day and won't rip you off.

I drive over from Macclesfield to them if I need any work doing.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Welcome and I can second Darren wood
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Welcome from me too :D
I used to live just down the road from sharston in brooklands. Spent my primary school swimming lessons at sharston baths, then they knocked them down :(
A lovely looking Z, enjoy your purchase.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Welcome :wave
I can also recommend Darren Wood :thumb:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thats the plan g8jka... I'm currently trying to assess whether I should just buy lowering shocks/springs now instead of buying two replacement OE shocks on the rear for the MOT repairs. Can anyone recommend the £200 Pro sport shocks/springs on ebay? or the £200 coilovers? They seem too cheap to be any good - but I certainly can't afford a more expensive set at the moment sadly.

And wheel spacers on the rear? I hadn't thought of that, do you have a link for those?

And thats a lovely Aegean coupe Mint, I was recently in Turkey and couldnt believe how they've nailed the colour on the car to match the sea there. I love it with your white leather as well, Mines boring old cream ;)

New control arms arrived today, hopefully breaks all round / lower bearings / tyres tomorrow, then a busy weekend ahead! :)

I'll contact Darren Wood, that sounds perfect! I'll let you know how I get on :)
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

HI, big zed welcome from me too - Just down the road in sunny ?? Wigan.

You've probably already gathered from your lurking that this forum is a fantastic source of information with very knowledgeable members.

Any questions just ask...

Have you seen the 2013 Silverstone Zedfest Thread ? fantastic weekend and a great place to meet fellow zed enthusiasts - you'll get to see all our zeds at their best...
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

Parade lap of Silverstone?! sounds ace :)

I'll have a chat with the missus and she if shes up for it...

Does anyone have a direct contact email for Darren Wood? He hasnt replied to my efforts so far and I went down to the garage and it was closed sadly...
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Hi and welcome from Mars .
Darens no'
Workshop 0161 425 7403.
Mob 07767 394316
Or his partner (business)
Mike 07796 859836.
Had my Zed in on thurs more excellent work done .
Moz

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Three Syllables

Z3 roadster 2.0

Didn't end up using Darren Wood as he couldn't fit me in, but having visited the place I would highly recommend them - proper professional outfit!

I used a mobile mechanic for the brake pipes who spent an entire saturday here, who I would also highly recommend - If anyone wants someone local to Manchester for work like this, I could give you details! (cost me £120 with me supplying both pairs of flexis on the rear)

So I've just picked my car up with its fresh MOT and I couldn't be happier. 2 months of weekend graft to get it through, heres a list of the works done:

rear shockers replaced with refurbished units
new discs and pads for all wheels
new handbrake shoes with new springs etc
new front control arms with ball joints
new front control arm bushes
new front anti roll links
new brake pipes front to back with new intermediate and end flexis to the calipers
refurbished power steering cooling pipe
part work Falken FK452s fitted to all wheels (6mm tread remaining)

... and just a hell of a lot of cleaning and refurbishing of calipers etc.

Went from a 13point fail list and 11advisories, to 3 advisories. ironically one being a slight lift on a track rod end, which was the only component I didnt change over heh, may have damaged it splitting the ball joints, so that'll be next :)

It drives like a new car, so happy!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Sounds like most of the "underneath bits" sorted for a good few years :lol:
Pep

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pep »

Welcome TS, fellow Manchester Z3er here, live in the Green Quarter around the back of Victoria.

Sounds like you got a good deal with that mobile repairer, might be contacting you about him if I need any repairs.

There's an Indie BMW garage in the city centre called BM-Tec. They had some mixed reviews on PH forums but I've taken mine there a few times and the owner, Tony, has always been pleasant and knowledgeable. The prices seem to be really good too and a couple of times they've done a bit of extra work at no extra cost.

Darren Wood's get the best reviews in our area but being able to drop my car off and walk to work then pick it up at the end of the day makes BM-Tec perfect for me.

Hope to see you around soon!

Joe