longlife stainless exhaust

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Gonorr

Z3 roadster 1.9i

longlife stainless exhaust

Post by Gonorr »

Off to get one fitted tomorrow. Anyone got one of their mild sport exhausts? Its not too loud is it?

In after a bit louder than stock, but not over the top loud.
SRA5040

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: longlife stainless exhaust

Post by SRA5040 »

I was offered 'Standard', 'Medium' or 'Full sport' - no mention of 'Mild Sport' at all, even though it was on their website. 'Medium' was described to me as having 'a slight tone under acceleration', but when I picked it up and drove it, it was hideously loud, uncomfortable and downright embarrassing, to be quite honest. I took it back after a few weeks and the chap put a 'quick fix' of some sort in the outlet which softened the tone a little, but it's still a bit on the loud side when driving in built-up areas.

Your idea of 'a bit louder than stock' and theirs may not necessarily be the same ;)
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

An aftermarket stainless exhaust is thinner than steel and hasn't got all the baffles that choke the exhaust.The sound will be louder when new but as time goes by,the exhaust will coke up and reduce the decibels.In my youth, stainless exhaust was always my first mod and never regretted it.Cobra stainless being fitted this Thursday.Johnco has already fitted one and I'm sure will be along shortly with his views.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

geminimustang wrote:An aftermarket stainless exhaust is thinner than steel and hasn't got all the baffles that choke the exhaust.The sound will be louder when new but as time goes by,the exhaust will coke up and reduce the decibels.In my youth, stainless exhaust was always my first mod and never regretted it.Cobra stainless being fitted this Thursday.Johnco has already fitted one and I'm sure will be along shortly with his views.

How much do they cost - compared to a 'standard' exhaust?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

geminimustang wrote:An aftermarket stainless exhaust is thinner than steel and hasn't got all the baffles that choke the exhaust.The sound will be louder when new but as time goes by,the exhaust will coke up and reduce the decibels.In my youth, stainless exhaust was always my first mod and never regretted it.Cobra stainless being fitted this Thursday.Johnco has already fitted one and I'm sure will be along shortly with his views.

How much do they cost - compared to a 'standard' exhaust?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I was offered their standard, medium and sport last September when my catalytic converter came apart (inside its exhaust box) on my 1.9 M44 engine Z3 – and the rear section was getting quite rusty. I opted for their standard which (like the BMW exhaust) has a large end silencer and a smaller middle silencer. When I picked the car up I was conscious that it was a bit louder with a deep, low burble at tick-over. However, it seems to have mellowed over the past 9-months and I’ve got used to it now. :P

It is beautifully made with what seems to be more gentle bends than the original and it is very neatly welded to the front of the front section (downstream of the Lambda sensor). Visually it is attractive and there is a choice of tail-pipe trims. Geminimustang is right in that the original BMW exhaust is heavy duty and extremely weighty and so there is inevitably more noise from the thinner, lighter stainless steel.

I think one problem is that in a two-seater with the roof folded down, the exhaust is just behind your ears and so can sound louder than it does to pedestrians and others away from the car. On balance I would give Longlife Exhausts the thumbs up. :P
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The durability of SS systems is common knowledge...what isn't as much mentioned, is that they don't produce a note with as much base as a mild steel system. This is because of the thinness of the steel used...they are much noisier even through the pipe sections for the same reason...a large ammount of the "tail" pipe noise is already lost before it gets to the back...I currently have an SS system, and really don't like the somewhat "tinnier" sound...I have bought some rolls of Titanium exhaust wrap, and intend wrapping the pipes with it to "thicken" up the insulation & lower the reverberation of those sections in an effort to deepen the base note out back.
But after all is said, I wouldn't fit mild steel because it isn't substantially cheaper and has a considerably shorter life than SS.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

John1950 wrote:How much do they cost - compared to a 'standard' exhaust
An OE BMW rear section on my 1.9 was around £600 plus fitting. A stainless steel one is around £300-£320 incl. fitting. From memory even Kwikfit wanted more for one of their "short life" mild steel ones. I also had to pay for a new cat as well because mine was rattling like a tin of marbles.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Del wrote:
An OE BMW rear section on my 1.9 was around £600 plus fitting. A stainless steel one is around £300-£320 incl. fitting. From memory even Kwikfit wanted more for one of their "short life" mild steel ones. I also had to pay for a new cat as well because mine was rattling like a tin of marbles.

Well, I'm surprised. I was expecting SS to be a heck of a lot more expensive than MS.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

My apologies to all who've read this before but I paid £110 for our stainless cobra twin pipe exhaust.A guy in Scotland paid around £300, fitted it,didn't like the sound,took it off after 200 miles.There is a seller on eBay who is selling OE for the 1.9 around £200 delivered.In truth,I was tempted to sell the Cobra and fit the OE but Johnco has persuaded me otherwise with his helpful advice and comments.Our zed goes into the garage on Thursday and I'll let you know my thoughts after.
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

I got a ss cobra systemm and i love it.

Sounds lovely and my gf has fallen in love with the sound and sits revving the engine in tunnels and at lights.

definetly get one it makes the car sound lovely.

Craig
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

John1950 wrote:
Del wrote:

Well, I'm surprised. I was expecting SS to be a heck of a lot more expensive than MS.
Don't make the comparison to the BMW price! That's about £150 worth of exhaust being sold for £600 plus fitting!!

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_Z ... 5e7&000536
stevietgr

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stevietgr »

I'm getting a Longlife system fitted on Tuesday in Basingstoke.

£350 from the cat to the tailpipe.

Can't wait as this will be the 1st mod that I'll have had done since I bought my Zed.

Stevie.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

I had a SS performance back box fitted this week, and boy it's noisy! I'm told it will calm down, although it sounds boomy it's ok and growing on me. Not sure why it called performance though? Not really noticed but I guess it's hard to around town? :wink:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If the noise gets too much, have the box coated with some High Temp silver paint...apply several coats. It will diminish the resonance a little. You don't need to paint the visible end at the tailpipes, just around the actual box will do. If you use the paint usually applied to brake callipers, which has a temp range up to around 800 degrees, this will safely survive the exhaust temperatures at the box.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions