What did you buy your Z3 this week ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: What did you buy your Z3 this week ?

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Front brake callipers, discs and pads as the originals had seized! Some vibration front the front since I bought the car last October and after laying up for 3 months it only got worse. They were fitted today and the car also had a oil change service plus new brake fluid and a tank of Shell V-power petrol. Drives much smoother now. Wallet in a state of shock :!:

Before laying the car up I drove a few miles to make sure the brakes were thorough dry and left the handbrake off hoping to avoid any brake issues. My efforts seemed to have worked as there was hardly any rust on the discs after storage.I knew there was a problem when I got wheel vibration and hot hubs on my first drive of the year. Does anybody have advice on what more I could have done to keep the brakes in good condition :?:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

roadvoyager1 wrote:Does anybody have advice on what more I could have done to keep the brakes in good condition :?:

Use the car, standing for a long time just makes things seize up.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

gookah wrote:
roadvoyager1 wrote:Does anybody have advice on what more I could have done to keep the brakes in good condition :?:

I second this. I recently bought a new Zed; and there seems to be a train of thought that because they are older they need to be cuddled rather than cherished...

My original one is 145,000 miles young, used regularly and has very limited running issues over and above a good service. My new (to me) one is a S50 M version, and I have realised that some of the people who have bought these cars seem to think that they should be treated like fine china - thats wrong.... They need to be looked after yes, but they also need to be used. In the last 12 months my "new to me" zed-m has done 250-300 miles and only 3500 over the last 3 years... Now some people think this is great and do this with their own cars and I must admit that when i picked it up it had no visible issues.....

But, then I took it for a proper drive, snake and woodhead passes, over to Sheffield and back over the peaks... beautiful drive; driven like it should; drive hard; brake hard; smile lots..... my grin was as wide as the back wheels.... I burst the rocker gasket and 2 of the braided brake hoses... Like physical exercise on a person a car needs to be used.

Whether it is a very first 1996 original or the last 2002/3 to roll off the plant. They are BMW's and are bullet proof - at 150,000 they are just getting warm. Use it, enjoy it, keep it happy and it will do the same
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

bertiejaffa wrote:
gookah wrote:

I second this. I recently bought a new Zed; and there seems to be a train of thought that because they are older they need to be cuddled rather than cherished...

My original one is 145,000 miles young, used regularly and has very limited running issues over and above a good service. My new (to me) one is a S50 M version, and I have realised that some of the people who have bought these cars seem to think that they should be treated like fine china - thats wrong.... They need to be looked after yes, but they also need to be used. In the last 12 months my "new to me" zed-m has done 250-300 miles and only 3500 over the last 3 years... Now some people think this is great and do this with their own cars and I must admit that when i picked it up it had no visible issues.....

But, then I took it for a proper drive, snake and woodhead passes, over to Sheffield and back over the peaks... beautiful drive; driven like it should; drive hard; brake hard; smile lots..... my grin was as wide as the back wheels.... I burst the rocker gasket and 2 of the braided brake hoses... Like physical exercise on a person a car needs to be used.

Whether it is a very first 1996 original or the last 2002/3 to roll off the plant. They are BMW's and are bullet proof - at 150,000 they are just getting warm. Use it, enjoy it, keep it happy and it will do the same
Well said.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

bertiejaffa wrote:at 150,000 they are just getting warm.

I'd check the thermostat...... :D

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

I feel guilty about not really using my Z3M over winter, but inspection II (with some additional items) booked for Monday, and a long roadtrip coming up in May, June and possibly even July... Denmark, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Norway and Finland, and maybe further. I hope Giorgio will forgive me the neglect and behave well! :D

Bought this week: Bowden cable for cruise control (part# 65712228746). The E46 cable that came with the actuator I bought earlier doesn't fit an M Roadster.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Many thanks to those who took time to respond to my post. Well I certainly expected that the advice would be to use it and I fully understand the sentiment.

We live in the edge of the Pennines and, whilst this winter was mild and we have not had any real snow, in recent years we have had snow and ice regularly for 2 to 3 months over the winter. Standard issue is the shovel in the boot! Driving RWD on snow is not my idea of fun (my wife had an RX8 and snow did not suit it at all). My main concern is road salt; it does cause corrosion particularly to the under body and suspension. My best option is to use and enjoy my car for 9 months of the year and protect it from the worst of the weather for the other 3 month.

If there is advice that would suit my circumstances both I and my wallet would welcome it :?: .
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Putting the usage of your car to one side, I can't see why the pistons inside new callipers would seize simply due to not being used for three months unless there was something seriously wrong with the brake fluid inside the system. Assuming the brake fluid inside the system is Ok, I wonder if the problem is due to the "slider bolts". There is contradictory information on whether or not these should be lubricated. I believe I recall seeing a BMW TIS (technical information sheet) to technicians saying that they should not be lubricated with anything as this can cause a reaction with their rubber sleeves and result in clogging/seizing. Other non-BMW instructions I have seen warn solely against using a mineral-based grease that can react with the surrounding rubber sleeves and cause a clogging/seizing. Finally, some instructions say it is OK to use silicone lubricant or something like Castrol Red rubber grease http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130679593752? ... 1423.l2649.

I changed my front pads last year and the last time they had been touched was with a BMW Inspection II in 2009 before I bought the car. I was interested to note that the slider bolts were not lubricated at all.

Might be worth examining your slider bolts. I think I'm right in saying they and/or the rubber sleeves can be renewed?
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Thanks for the information Del. I bought the car last October and I understood that it had only covered 700 miles in the previous year. The last service was in 2010 (3,000 miles ago) and the last recorded brake fluid change was in 2007 (15,000 miles ago) so new fluid was on the "must do" list for early this year in any case.To me it points to excess moisture in the brake fluid and not enough use resulting in corrosion although it will be worth checking the slider bolts. Thanks again for your comments.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

New grilles, srs reset tool, new headlights and some sidelight bulbs!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
stevietgr

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stevietgr »

After recently having a mishap where 3 of the 11 blades on my fan snapped off i decided to attempt to overhall the cooling system.

Over the weekend i bought and replaced...

Thermostat and housing
Water pump and pulley
Drive belt
Radiator fan and viscous coupling
Coolant

I have finished the task in hand and fingers crossed it seems to be running well. I suppose time will tell.

It was a bit daunting for me to undertake this job so believe me when i say that if i can do it anyone can.

Cheers , Stevie
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Cat back exhaust! Much needed!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Rear wheel spacers,
S50 Cruise Items (Actuator, Control Unit, Stalk, Clutch Switch, Throttle Cable)
Rear Switch panel Frame
Wash, and polish for Sundays Derbyshire run (yes I am bone idle!)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

A high vis jacket, a GB sticker, a warning triangle, a fist aid kit, a bulb kit and a breathalyser. Guess where I'm going at the weekend?

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Erm.......???? Alton towers? No er France!! Lucky you! The wife and I love France. We get over when we can. Where abouts you heading? :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Heading straight through France to Brussels, then onto Cologne for a couple of night with a trip to the 'ring and onto Munich for a coupe of nights with a trip to the BMW factory. Finally on to a night in lille and back to blighty!

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Now I really am jealous! I intended to visit munich this year but money hasn't allowed. I'm taking a friend of the wifes to heathrow to meet her husband who she's taking there on Wednesday for a surprise birthday treat. Nothing like large amounts of salt and wounds eh!
Please drop a post on here when you get back, I like to know what you thought. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I have bought new new shocks and springs all round, new top mounts, new drop links and anti roll bar bushes, SRS reset tool, furniture clinic respray kit for the seats and door cards and placed my order for the sport steering wheel to be re-trimmed with Royals.
Will be a busy couple of weekends. Can't wait!!
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Fitted new rear window (after several attempts) Also ordered induction kit ready for the Cadwell experience
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Bowler wrote:Fitted new rear window (after several attempts) Also ordered induction kit ready for the Cadwell experience
which induction kit?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Buying one of e bay, Looks like a copy of the K&N but much cheaper from Fastlane styling, Worth a punt at £29 inc postage
Will see and report how easy to fit and how effective.
Will make sure every part removed is ready to go back on if not satisfied
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Davejue1 wrote:Now I really am jealous! I intended to visit munich this year but money hasn't allowed. I'm taking a friend of the wifes to heathrow to meet her husband who she's taking there on Wednesday for a surprise birthday treat. Nothing like large amounts of salt and wounds eh!
Please drop a post on here when you get back, I like to know what you thought. :)

Cheers
Dave
Definitely rubbing it in! Will do, with plenty of pics

Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Bowler wrote:Buying one of e bay, Looks like a copy of the K&N but much cheaper from Fastlane styling, Worth a punt at £29 inc postage
Will see and report how easy to fit and how effective.
Will make sure every part removed is ready to go back on if not satisfied
Easiest job i have had so far, initially left the base of the air cleaner box in situ now out completely, Fabricated bracket attached to base of Power steering reservoir
to secure cone from moving too much. Initial feeling of better throttle response sounds better IMO also.
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

12 months tax.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

new radiator
new water pump
new hoses
new fan shroud
new front bumper, completely re sprayed
new belts
new fan
new fan shroud

oh sweet jeesus! :shock: :bawl:

but it now runs lovely, and the fan is super powerful now. :lol:

4 months off the road damn.. :head:
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Six months tax...I put the hard top on for winter and I don't really enjoy driving it with it on, so no point taxing it to sit on the drive. Probably be spending a bit on parts and a service now the better weather is here.
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

SRS reset tool arrived today.
Had a bit of a panic as it kept giving me an error, but after reading the instructions it said turn the ignition on to pos 2 first and then plug it into the port, normally the other way round.
This worked a treat and said that there was a short on the drivers side restraint cable. I had already seen this was squashed up and had taken it apart and cleaned it up.

Reset the light and it has stayed off all morning.
stevietgr

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stevietgr »

A new radiator and an accelerator cable and both fitted today.

:D
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

A tiny 10amp fuse for stereo
1 set of number plate screws with plastic colour coordinated covers
Bottle of car shampoo
Large sponge
6 months road tax

Ffs it's never ending ;)
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

New front Disc's and Pad's and oil service
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Fitted new rear window and waiting for return of steering wheel from Royal. (Thicker padding, perforated leather at sides, smooth nappa top and bottom and red stitching!)
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Two 100x100mm pieces of rubber sheet (1mm and 2mm thick) and rubber glue to fix the leaking roof seals.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Fozzfox72 wrote:A tiny 10amp fuse for stereo
Bottle of car shampoo
Large sponge
6 months road tax
I wonder are these things actually of interest to anyone? What's next? Posting each time you buy some gas? I think this thread was for interesting ad-ons or rare parts which could be of interest to other z3 owners and not some spam thread where everyone "shows off" about each fuse and sponge he is using for z3 and each time he is paying road tax. Everyone here is paying road tax and buying sponges and fuses. You don't have to post about that.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

deni2s wrote:
Bottle of car shampoo
Large sponge
6 months road tax
I wonder are these things actually of interest to anyone? What's next? Posting each time you buy some gas? I think this thread was for interesting ad-ons or rare parts which could be of interest to other z3 owners and not some spam thread where everyone "shows off" about each fuse and sponge he is using for z3 and each time he is paying road tax. Everyone here is paying road tax and buying sponges and fuses. You don't have to post about that.
I bought a tank of PETROL - not gas !! Gas goes in the cooker

....and yes I am interested
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

To quote the original post:
Jonttt wrote:let people know what you bought your Z3 this week. Whether it be an oil filter, dust caps or a new set of wheels, post it up on here and let people know :D
I see no harm in people posting about any purchase, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant they seem (to me). Sometimes it's of benefit to the others (aka "hey I need one as well, where did you buy yours?"), sometimes you get good tips about stuff you didn't even know is available for your beloved zed, and sometimes you'll get food for thought for fixing issues that have been bothering you for a while, but haven't been active enough to ask about what is needed for the fix. :) If a post has no relevance to me, I'll just go read another post.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

how can gas be a liquid..... ? :D

and I think his post was a bit tongue in cheek :shock:
Last edited by gookah on Sun 06 Apr, 2014 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

This week mines had an oil change, fuel filter change and new abs sensor.

Got to keep these Zeds tip top ;)

You do put gas in cars....

When there converted to LPG :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

deni2s wrote:
Bottle of car shampoo
Large sponge
6 months road tax
I also bought a zed 3 key ring which rather adore.
Maybe that's of no interest either, however this is a BMW z3/4 forum of genuine owners and enthusiasts alike. I for one am interested in other posts and have saved many (GBP) pounds and hours DUE TO THE TRIVIAL MINOR POSTS ON THIS FORUM.
Which is designed, no doubt for things that have been bought, hence the post title.

By the way the sponges are top quality! ;)
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Fozzfox72 wrote:By the way the sponges are top quality! ;)
Sorry if I sounded offensive. I just thought how much more value you could add to your post if you mentioned the price, brand or why did you choose exactly this product. (I still don't know which "sponges are top quality".)
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

deni2s wrote:
Fozzfox72 wrote:By the way the sponges are top quality! ;)
Sorry if I sounded offensive. I just thought how much more value you could add to your post if you mentioned the price, brand or why did you choose exactly this product. (I still don't know which "sponges are top quality".)
No I'm not offended in anyway, all zed owners are pretty cool in my book.

Absolutely incredible amount of free advice, parts and work arounds available on here from really knowledgable car mechanics enthusiasts and tyre kickers.

My original quip was tongue in cheek, as are many on here.

Happy safe driving :lol:
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Bought a new BMW umbrella (for the missus) on e-bay from bmw minimarts for 15 quid, thought great bargain until I was in my local BMW dealer to price a rear window and thy have them there for 15 EUROS.
Also bought a beautiful BMW watch on e-bay (unused and in original box etc) for 50 quid!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Should read bmwminiwatford, doh!
dave treg

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dave treg »

Hi folks, fairly new to the forum. My latest purchase for princess Z, my '99 1.9 roadster was a wind deflector...but unfortunately once again I have bought the wrong one. Second time with a wrong model! So now I'm on the lookout for the correct one, gotta say I haven't seen this particular one yet on ebay. Regards..Dave
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

will need this

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Two new Falken 914's for the front,
Looking forward to better handling and less tram lining
Bring on Cadwell
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Not bought any thing, but have booked it in to have the leather seats leather treated to get rid of the scuffs. Got the Z4 booked in for the same treatment.
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... new center console.... :D

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

looks great barry
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Fawdy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fawdy »

Fuel cap rubber stopper
X2 interior light bulbs (heater control replacement, not easy !)
X 1 lamp for interior head light switch
X1 new illuminated gear knob
X1 Red LED interior light (blew the fuse so back to the old one)
X1 10 Amp fuse as mentioned above
X1 Terraclean service
X2 rear tyres (on order)
X1 safety check on workshop ramp

Next week after pay day .... Powder coat the wheels ... The inner rims are corroded.

On top of this I've detailed the paintwork, machine polished the wheels and headlights plus retreated the hood with autoglym hood cleaner and protector.

It's now super shiny, runs perfectly and ready for our summer road trip to Tuscany ;-)
[Image][/code]
stevietgr

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stevietgr »

An oil change and an air filter.