Changed my water pump yesterday...and...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Changed my water pump yesterday...and...

Post by andy18n »

Hi all
Been planning a preventative water pump change for a while. 2002 3.0 Sport, 47k miles. Did the job yesterday, pretty easy, changed to a Meyle pump.
However was shocked when removed old original plastic impeller pump. Loads of play in the bearings and quite rough. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to leave it much longer..it wasn't that far off from letting go and at such a low mileage!
Did belts and coolant change at same time, no aspects of the job were particularly difficult if others are contemplating it....I do recommend doing it based on the state of mine!!
Cheers and Happy New Year to all
Andy
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Changed my water pump yesterday...and...

Post by TomH84 »

Good job well done! You can relax now.

I did mine last year with 82k. After dismantling everything, I was surprised to find a *metal* impeller on my original water pump. Replaced it anyway. I'd have thought that your 2002 car would be the same. Clearly not! My car was built right at the end of the run (according to the VIN data)

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

funny you should find this, one of my mates on the RhoCar site said i should replace my water pump he said change it to a Meyle pump whilst i had my zed in bits
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Just got my new pump today, I have not removed the old pump yet, does it need a gasket? Also how tight do you tighten the mounting bolts in ft/lbs
Cheers peter2b
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The M6 bolts attaching both the thermostat housing and water pump to the engine are lightly torqued - the Bentley manual states just 7ft/lbs. The water pump is sealed by a large rubber o-ring which normally comes with the new pump.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Thanks I will have another look in the box
Peter 2b
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

peter2b wrote:Thanks I will have another look in the box
Peter 2b
If you have bought the Meyle the seal is pre-fitted to the pump - not supplied as a separate part. Or at least it was on mine - realoem does show a separate number for the seal only.
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

peter2b wrote:funny you should find this, one of my mates on the RhoCar site said i should replace my water pump he said change it to a Meyle pump whilst i had my zed in bits
peter2b
Ha Ha Peter - yes what a coincidence!!!!

My Meyle came with the rubber O Ring gasket. It wasn't fitted to the pump but was in the box with it.

Confirm the very light torque settings for the water pump nuts. It didn't feel right somehow but the old ones came off so easily I let manual take precedent over instinct!!

I wish I had room to keep the 2b before I got the Z but not to worry, I use the Z a lot more.

Best Wishes
Andy
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

A mate of mine has a 1/4" drive torque spanner that I can use.I'm going to use my twin arm car lift to put my 2b on top with my z3 under or maybe the other way as the one pinto has a small oil leak over winter when both are laid up, that will free up 1side of my shed for other bit of kit
Peter 2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Just had another look there in the bottom of the box there was a piece of card saying in 4 languages gaskit under this card :oops:
Peter2b