Which Z3 to get?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

Which Z3 to get?

Post by Lancsbob »

I will be looking for a Z3 soon as i have just retired & want some fun, been
looking at 2.8/3.0s but also considering 2.2s, at 63 do you think a 2.8 is OTT really
only need the power for overtaking & the odd thrill on the open road :twisted: but i thought
the bigger engines would hold their value better.
Also do i get a cheaper highish milage one & improve it or break the bank & get a low milage one. :?
Its a dilemma. :(

Bob
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Which Z3 to get?

Post by gas guzzler »

Well I'm 62 and up until the weekend had two 2.8s, they're great cars and I would certainly get the 2.8, best of the bunch in my opinion. Loads of grunt with an unstressed engine, later ones with the double vanos even better. But shortly someone will come along and say the 2.2 is the best and then someone else the 3.0ltr is the best. Go and drive a couple and decide..................................................................... then buy the 2.8 :)
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Im 62 started to have great fun in my 2.2 z3 just got back from le mans 24 hr had great fun with a new aston, porky944, A4 on the A28 towards Rouen
peter2b
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

You're only as old (or as young) as you feel, Lancsbob! I'm 72, have run a 2.8 for four years and before that an E30 M3 for six years.

For my 70th birthday I flew a full aerobatic programme (including landing and taxying to a stop) in a TF51D Mustang in the USA-so go for it!!

Beemer Man.
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Lancsbob wrote:I will be looking for a Z3 soon as i have just retired & want some fun, been
looking at 2.8/3.0s but also considering 2.2s, at 63 do you think a 2.8 is OTT really
only need the power for overtaking & the odd thrill on the open road :twisted: but i thought
the bigger engines would hold their value better.
Also do i get a cheaper highish milage one & improve it or break the bank & get a low milage one. :?
Its a dilemma. :(

Bob
Its not a dilemma. Just get a 3.0.
I had a 2.2 z3 then went to a Z4 3.0. Never regretted it .and its better on fuel .
A great all rounder.
An im 65 yrs but about 30 yrs int Zed
M
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Beemer Man wrote:You're only as old (or as young) as you feel, Lancsbob!
Very true, the chap I sold my Z3 to on Sunday had never owned or been in a sports car before, half way round the test drive he looked at me with a big smile on his face and said 'You've sold it'. He's 78 and said 'He can't take his money with him and he wants a bit of fun'.
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

All Z3's are reasonably priced so you may as well get a 3.0

The engine is a real honey and is so smooth, plus you get over 30mpg. Previously l had a 2.8 and had no complaints with that either.
As far as l can tell there are no minus points with the bigger engines.
I'd say buy the first really nice one that you find. Try to get an M Sport if you want to burn some rubber, the seats are better and the suspension is uprated, so it handles better at the expense of a firmer ride.

Otherwise the standard version is fine.
My 2.8 was standard and my 3.0 is the M Sport.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

55 recently sold my 450hp evo and bought the 2.0 z3 as an in-between. Nice enough car handling ok but not great even after new suspension, poly bushes, strut brace etc. I own a performance garage so have driven a large selection of cars. One customer has a 2.8 z3.quicker but not that much better. Will be going back to an evo next year or atleast something similar in handling and power. The z3 just doesn't do anything really well except look good and I don't do shiny parking lot.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

stevov wrote:55 recently sold my 450hp evo and bought the 2.0 z3 as an in-between. Nice enough car handling ok but not great even after new suspension, poly bushes, strut brace etc. I own a performance garage so have driven a large selection of cars. One customer has a 2.8 z3.quicker but not that much better. Will be going back to an evo next year or atleast something similar in handling and power. The z3 just doesn't do anything really well except look good and I don't do shiny parking lot.

After a 450hp Evo and a car lot full of performance cars, you were probably barking up the wrong tree looking at a Z3, That does not make it a bad car, just a different one.
I bought mine for the quality surrounding what is still a 15 year old car, the ability to overtake when I need to, I can go sideways sometimes, and put the roof down when it's dry. Tinker with it, polish it to bits and admire the shape and foibles of it.
All of these give me a great big grin, and, after owning a Z4M, and because my expectations of this car are totally different, does not mean I am any bit disappointed,
Last edited by gookah on Fri 19 Jun, 2015 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
madleemark

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by madleemark »

i love driving my 2.8,a lot of fun for very little money,
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Thanks for all the input, very helpful.

Bob
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Any of the Z3s you mention will give you "the power for overtaking & the odd thrill on the open road"

My advice, drive as many as possible and buy the one you can't wait to get back into. There's much more to a Zed than cubic capacity. :D
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Over the last few months I have really had the chance to compare two Zeds. I have been frequently driving my wife’s 1.9 auto and can compare it with my M Roadster. On normal roads with the usual amount of traffic there is not much difference between the two cars in the time it takes to get from A to B. There is a huge amount of difference on the way they get from A to B. To my surprise the 1.9 is by far the more relaxing drive. Her car is quieter, softer suspension, gear change much easier and steering smoother. This coupled with much lower running costs make it a very attractive proposition. On a track, with the adrenaline, flowing the M becomes a totally different car. Throttle controlled under/oversteer, firm suspension, acceleration and noise make it a very exciting drive. So the conclusion I recommend, and which has been stated by other people, try different types and find the one which will suite your driving style. Once you have decided then buy the best one you can afford.
madleemark

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by madleemark »

i will second what tilly says about the 1.9, i had the alledged underpowered m43, still great fun to drive and a pleasure to own, and in many ways easier to get along with, although the z3 i always wanted was the earlier style wide body, which is what i have now with the 2.8 single vanos engine, i think you will like z3 ownership whichever one you get, there are very big on grin factor, mine gives me a smile just looking at it.