DSC Woes Fixed (Hopfully)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

DSC Woes Fixed (Hopfully)

Post by Lancsbob »

Hoping this was the cause of all my DSC woes.
Fault codes kindly cleared by Robert & have stayed clear after an good blast on the M6
Must check rears now.
Anyone know how to clean the toothed rotors that the sensor works off, they
seem to be completely enclosed.
By the way my C110 code reader doesn't clear the codes even though it says it has.

Cheers Bob
Sloperboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: DSC Woes Fixed (Hopfully)

Post by Sloperboy »

Did my rears on Monday, just sprayed brake cleaner through the open sensor hole and spun hub, they looked pretty clean but dirty bits I gave a rub with a cotton bud, out of interest was it just your Dsc light that was on or was it accompanied with your abs or brake warning light?

My Dsc light is on also but not accompanied with any other warning lights, cleaned my rear sensors, light still on, but could not get front ones out so left them in until I can get it plugged into dis to see what is causing the Dsc light to stay on, did not want to brake front ones out and have to replace then to find they were ok. Interestingly when I unplugged the front drivers and plugged it back in the abs light was on and only cleared after I drove a little, when I unplugged the passenger side and plugged it back in there was no abs warning light on.

I have been through most of the posts on here re the light and there is various possibilities but will need to get it plugged in the see what is causing the issue but since I am going to change the two front wishbones out over the winter thought I would do this first as will need to get tracking done first i case this upsets something else.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

If the H+S police aren't looking - an air compressor, but I didn't say that :nono
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Clean them everyyear - it is just one of the many things ignored by the so-called 'Full BMW Service!' Cam sensors are another area of offical neglect . ..
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pingu wrote:If the H+S police aren't looking - an air compressor, but I didn't say that :nono
rub them down with a sheet of asbestos

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Sloperboy wrote:Did my rears on Monday, just sprayed brake cleaner through the open sensor hole and spun hub, they looked pretty clean but dirty bits I gave a rub with a cotton bud, out of interest was it just your Dsc light that was on or was it accompanied with your abs or brake warning light?

My Dsc light is on also but not accompanied with any other warning lights, cleaned my rear sensors, light still on, but could not get front ones out so left them in until I can get it plugged into dis to see what is causing the Dsc light to stay on, did not want to brake front ones out and have to replace then to find they were ok. Interestingly when I unplugged the front drivers and plugged it back in the abs light was on and only cleared after I drove a little, when I unplugged the passenger side and plugged it back in there was no abs warning light on.

I have been through most of the posts on here re the light and there is various possibilities but will need to get it plugged in the see what is causing the issue but since I am going to change the two front wishbones out over the winter thought I would do this first as will need to get tracking done first i case this upsets something else.
Both lights were permanantly on.
I must have done about 200 mls & they just went off.
Now if i hit the switch to deactivate its just a single light which didn't work before.
I presume if its a single light its just deactivated & not faulty as mine was.
Iv'e come to the conclusion that the only way to properly check things out is to link up to an INPA system
and check right through the cars computer. I have 2 code readers which didn't really help as they only
told me of the fault codes but couldn't clear them & they where probably historical ones.
If you can, get it checked with an INPA & clear all codes then work from there.

Cheers Bob
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Clean them everyyear - it is just one of the many things ignored by the so-called 'Full BMW Service!' Cam sensors are another area of offical neglect . ..
Do you mean remove cam sensors & clean them?
I have just replaced one as it was a fault code, do you think cleaning it
might have cleared the fault?

Bob
Sloperboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Sloperboy »

Will try to get fronts out and clean then take for a long drive before doing the wishbones, Dsc light is fixed on and the button to switch on and off makes no difference to it so concluding it must be a problem.

Can anyone tell me How robust are the sensors?, got the securing bolts out okay but tried prising the front sensors both sides with a screwdriver and rocking them back and forth with plumbers pliers but no movement, lots of penetrating fluid sprayed so who knows if I try it again over the weekend it may have helped
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Sloperboy wrote:Will try to get fronts out and clean then take for a long drive before doing the wishbones, Dsc light is fixed on and the button to switch on and off makes no difference to it so concluding it must be a problem.

Can anyone tell me How robust are the sensors?, got the securing bolts out okay but tried prising the front sensors both sides with a screwdriver and rocking them back and forth with plumbers pliers but no movement, lots of penetrating fluid sprayed so who knows if I try it again over the weekend it may have helped
Have read that some had to break them out when they knew they were duff but its annoying when they might be OK
I was lucky, mine were very tight but managed to get them out but my car is an 02 plate so a little younger
than most so less corrosion.

Bob
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Clean them everyyear - it is just one of the many things ignored by the so-called 'Full BMW Service!' Cam sensors are another area of offical neglect . ..
It was ignored by BMW. It's not part of ANY service routine, so you can't expect them to do it for free. Although it would be more useful than a wash and vac.
Pingu
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Wash and vac is something any owner can do; we pay service agents for the techy stuff that we probably cannot do. It's an insult that they charge what they do for a charlady's job. That's why I prefer a good indie when there's something I am not equipped or able to do.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The cam sensors look like they use a Hall-effect sensor, with a magnet on one side, which attracts fine metalic particles from the engine oil. When enough of this debris is attracted, the sensing part of the unit is shielded from the magnet - hence it is a good idea to clean them from time to time. It is also a good reason to change the oil more frequently than the SI lights dictate.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
DomS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by DomS »

Sloperboy wrote:Will try to get fronts out and clean then take for a long drive before doing the wishbones, Dsc light is fixed on and the button to switch on and off makes no difference to it so concluding it must be a problem.

Mine weren't very robust, but then I don't suppose they were designed to be removed with a hammer and punch!

They were completely seized, as was one of the securing bolts, which I had to drill out and re-tap after it sheared off when I tried (gently) removing it. All that was after a few days regular soaking in WD40 and PlusGas. I used a little smear of copper grease on the securing bolts and the plastic sensor body when fitting the new ones, which made it a doddle to remove them on the odd occasion since.

Even my local BMW dealer commented on how easy they were to remove & clean when they did the Inspection service.

...oh OK, yes I made that last bit up :wink:
DomS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by DomS »

BTW, I cleaned the toothed rotors by wrapping a bit of cloth around a screwdriver, squirting the end with a load of brake cleaner, poking it through the sensor hole until it hit the rotor and then spinning the hub. It looked quite shiny in there afterwards!