Help! Boot lid won't open

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Help! Boot lid won't open

Post by mrscalex »

Had a bit of a mare and the boot lid won't open. I have recently changed the lid and played with the mechs but it was all working nicely.

I understand there is a trick to get into the boot but it's not published for obvious reasons. Would someone be able to PM me please? It's a 98 pre-facelift.

Also keen to understand why this may have happened and how to adjust to stop it happening again.

Thanks.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Help! Boot lid won't open

Post by kjb1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdESLYrXRU

listen to the vid, don't butcher it like he has, just simply drill hole where he says it is required, and through secondary skin once through first layer,
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks. I actually saw that when searching.

I was naively hoping there was a non-invasive method.

Thanks again, for confirming the approach.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

There is a non invasive method... it's kept "secret" to avoid the knowledge being used by potential baddies. If you PM Stu (one of the mods) he will give you the method of getting the boot open... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Southernboy wrote:There is a non invasive method... it's kept "secret" to avoid the knowledge being used by potential baddies. If you PM Stu (one of the mods) he will give you the method of getting the boot open... :wink:
Thank you!
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've not heard back from Stu.

I would like to get into the boot this weekend. It has my INPA kit in and it's needed.

If anyone else knows the non-invasive method (ie not drilling behind the badge) please PM me. I know it's a closely guarded secret but I promise not to tell :)
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Where's a mod when you need one... Perhaps try PM'ing the other mods, they may have a direct line to Stu, or may even know the entry method.
"Normal is overrated"

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Southernboy wrote:Where's a mod when you need one... Perhaps try PM'ing the other mods, they may have a direct line to Stu, or may even know the entry method.

Always here :D

There isn't a non invasive way.

In future if anyone needs to contact a Mod, try myself or Robert T, we are here several times during the day.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That's bad news Gazza....
I take it you've tried pressing down on the boot lid whilst operating the remote ?? it may be the latch is just under too much pressure to release. Alternately, try a wooden wedge on one and the other side of the lid whilst operating the remote and also lifting it gently with a wedge on each side of the lock which is roughly in the center of the boot lid above the number plate, whilst operating the remote. If your boot isn't a remote operation, do all the above and use the key to operate the lock.
"Normal is overrated"

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

It isn't a latch problem, it's a linkage problem.

Minor invasion is the only way.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

mrscalex wrote:I would like to get into the boot this weekend. It has my INPA kit in and it's needed.
What's INPA kit?

I wish I could help here, I had an issue with mine not allowing the car to unlock without immediately relocking when I first acquired it, but that was an adjustment issue on the lock mechanism as it was triggering the central locking. I don't suppose you can access the two torx screws that hold it in place?

Fiat had this nailed with the X1/9: there was an emergency boot release pull located in the engine bay directly in front (mid-engine). I'm now wondering if I should install a similar device in the Z....
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

INPA kit just means my old laptop with the software on it and the connecting cable to do vehicle diagnostics.

I had to drill the boot behind the badge in the end. 2 min job and works a treat.

The problem was because I hadn't rotated the plastic end clip on the push button mechanism. There is a slot and the rod sits in this. It gets pushed round when you take it off and moves out of alignment. I put mine back not taking this in and it was sitting on the rim of the clip and not in it.

Very simple changing boot lid and mechanism but you just have to be careful putting it back as intended otherwise the price you pay is a stiff one.

That said it won't latch now! The opposite problem. It was working perfectly before this episode and nothing else has moved.
ImageImage
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

have you tried fully operating the lock on the boot in a similar fashion to when you operate lock on a door whilst open

Sent from my iPhone
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Yep, it was that same plastic retainer that caused my locking issue. Luckily I have a few spares kicking around from my old Range Rover which I am busy building a whole new bespoke body for. Fitted a treat and so far works fine.

Sorry you had drill through but at least the badge covers it and should the problem ever recur, you can sort it!
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I sorted the latching problem today. When I swapped the boot lids I never went back and tightened the bolts properly. The lid had slipped fractionally. I aligned it again and all was well.
ImageImage