Wing mirror removal. Can i do it without removing door card

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wing mirror removal. Can i do it without removing door card

Post by kjb1 »

Question. Can mirrors be removed from the body without having to take door cards off? if so, anyone got a walk through?

reason being Ive just sorted door cards out / repaired, glued, new tabs etc. Dont want to disturb them if possible.

Sent from my iPhone
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Wing mirror removal. Can i do it without removing door

Post by Southernboy »

Yes.... Twist the mirror and remove both base bolts. At this point you can cut the 2 electrical wires and then create new couplings when you replace everything. If you create "socket" connectors it will mean you won't need to cut them in future again if you decide to remove the mirrors. You should now have the complete mirror in your hands and can further strip it as follows...
Remove the mirror glass by un-clipping it at the 4 clips under the glass - roughly 2 / 4 / 8 and 10 'o' clock positions.
Once that is lifted out, you can access the metal alloy arm mounting screws which fix it to the plastic cover.
Alternately use a soldering iron to melt the soldered connections to the motor and re-solder when replacing.
Last edited by Southernboy on Sun 08 May, 2016 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The knowledgebase article on door mirrors starts off with full removal then goes on with comments about how to avoid it.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=16269
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Many door mirrors won't twist after all these years and that's one of the main reasons people want to remove them. Trying to twist them can finish them off.

It's possible to remove the bolts without twisting. You just have to turn the hex bit slowly with a pair of pliers on one of the bolts. No need to cut wires if you look at the article.

The other tricky part is the mirror. I use the curved handle of a spoon. You must get it between the mirror and the mounting though which seems impossible at first but isn't. Just have the mirror pushed in all the way one side so there is a big gap the other. It will move by hand, no need to use switch. Use a torch maybe held by another person to see right inside. Repeat on all 4 positions.

I'm currently going into the nth level of detail learning how to dismantle a seized mirror and rebuild it. They can get very, very stuck internally like they're welded and need drilling out. If I ever figure it out fully will post all the photos and how to I've done so far.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

With the weather / environment you guys have being the main culprit of mirror / base seizure, it seems a small modification should be made to the mirrors. Possibly a small hole (4mm) drilled in the outer section of the mirror near the joint to the base, through which grease can be forced. A small rubber or plastic cap can then be inserted into the hole to prevent water or dirt getting in, and easily allow any future "servicing" in the same manner... :wink:

This would do perfectly...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Rubb ... a60lZpcFWw
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I guess it's the road salt washed in with the copious amounts of rain.

That's an interesting idea about the lubricating hole. I'll think about that if I ever unseize the arm from the base. The starlock is dremmelled off and the sleeve bolt is drilled out. Still the arm is stuck.
ImageImage
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

so if i get glass etc out i can get to the two nuts which hold the whole housing in place on the door?

Sent from my iPhone
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

kjb1 wrote:so if i get glass etc out i can get to the two nuts which hold the whole housing in place on the door?

Sent from my iPhone
nope, you still need to twist the unit r break it off!
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Brian,
Not sure what you are referring to - but once the mirror is removed and the plastic clams of the mirror assembly are removed, you have access to the two hex screws.
When one then removes the electrical connections to the mirror motor (no cutting involved) - it may be a good idea to tie a knot in the cable so it does not fall inside the door card - and then for sure you'll need to remove the card :wink:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

BonBon wrote:Brian,
Not sure what you are referring to - but once the mirror is removed and the plastic clams of the mirror assembly are removed, you have access to the two hex screws.
When one then removes the electrical connections to the mirror motor (no cutting involved) - it may be a good idea to tie a knot in the cable so it does not fall inside the door card - and then for sure you need to remove the card :wink:
Well done bonbon, I have ///M mirrors, I forgot the clams can be taken off the standard mirror :oops:
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi kjb1

First and foremost, please don't try and twist the mirrors if they are stiff...otherwise the internal casting will shear off! When we did ours, we VERY gently pushed the mirror to get a small gap enough to insert the little red plastic tube from the WD40 can and then zapped it, and then let it soak in and work its magic over night. Give it another zap after that too, then very very gently try turning it bit by bit as it rides over the small internal cams on the casting. It's a real weak point (crazy) so don't rush it it whatever you do! If necessary give it another zap and have another beer. If you are lucky you won't break it and leave it. Now as described, carefully prize the mirror out, remove the casing and disconnect the wires from the motor within. Twist the mirror 90 deg from its normal position, this will then give you access to the two retaining bolts again. Undo them and carefully guide the wires out, and when clear tape them to the door to stop them possibly dropping down into the door..........which is not what you want!

I did mine in 2014 and worked for me without cutting of drilling, but I do give it a regular give zap of lube, which does dribble a little down the side of the door but a quick wipe is better than a £100 new mirror in my books. Here is the thread from 2014: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=39815

Hope this helps :thumb:

KF
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

kjb1 wrote:so if i get glass etc out i can get to the two nuts which hold the whole housing in place on the door?

Sent from my iPhone
Short answer yes. But you won't get a ratchet on one of the hex heads. You need to just put the bit in and turn it with pliers etc as it sits under the arm.
ImageImage