Z3 CLEAR COAT LACQUERED INNER BODY SHELL

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
yamsel1

M roadster S50

Z3 CLEAR COAT LACQUERED INNER BODY SHELL

Post by yamsel1 »

Hello all.
I am interested to see if anyone has or knows of a Z3 with a clear coat inner body shell. I was under the impression that Z3's left the factory with a matt finish to the engine bay and boot areas. I have a 1999 2.8 auto, which was imported from Japan in 2006, which has a completely lacquered inner body shell. After looking at the engine bay I thought that it might have been repainted and lacquered after an accident repair but after further investigation found that the whole body shell is coated with lacquer.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 CLEAR COAT LACQUERED INNER BODY SHELL

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Is the whole shell body-colour? Have a look under the trim in the boot - if it's all body-colour, I'd guess that the whole shell has been repainted.
yamsel1

M roadster S50

Post by yamsel1 »

Hi. Yes, I have checked the boot floor area ect, they are all lacquered. I have even peeled back the corners of the factory stickers in the engine bay to check. It is all lacquered.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Is it possible it's been re-shelled? And the bare shell was painted in a body shop by someone unaware it didn't need to be lacquered?

Just one theory. And possibly not the sort you welcome!
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

mrscalex wrote:Is it possible it's been re-shelled? And the bare shell was painted in a body shop by someone unaware it didn't need to be lacquered?

Just one theory. And possibly not the sort you welcome!
Sounds like you may have a better Z3 than left the factory. I reshelled a car once and I'm pretty certain that its demise wouldn't be due to tin-worm :wink: .
Pingu
yamsel1

M roadster S50

Post by yamsel1 »

Yes, thought that it might have been re-shelled as well but the VIN number, which looks like a factory pressing, matches the build code.
Oh well, it looks good anyway.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I have seen comments that it is a characteristic of "individual" coloured BMWs. I assume that if a non-standard colour is used, the shell is removed from the standard paint production line and done "individually" which leads to it being painted all over :shrug
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

What colour is it?

Individual colours tend to have a black engine bay don't they?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
yamsel1

M roadster S50

Post by yamsel1 »

The car is finished in Arctic Silver and has a very impressive build sheet. LC67211
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

My "Individual" has body colour engine bay and it appears laquered because it is metallic. I have not checked under carpets inside or in the boot though. Perhaps I should but not at this time of night!
Metallic paint generally looks awful without the clear coat which is probably why the O/P's Arctic Silver car has the laquer.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

My '98 2.8 is Artik Silver and is not lacquered under the bonnet.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

My '99 arctic silver does not have any clearcoat in the engine bay, or boot interior. This I believe is totally standard.
If your car is very early production for the Japanese market it could be an ex-motor show display/press launch car. It was not unusual for such cars to be given a non standard (full interior paint) finish and this could explain why the factory stickers are over the clearcoat. If it is you may find some other extras (increased sound deadening, better tuned engine etc) and should have a very well put together car.
yamsel1

M roadster S50

Post by yamsel1 »

Thank you for your post Roadvoyager1.
That could explain the anomalies with the lacquered bodywork.
The car does have the revised 2.8 duel vanos engine so i suppose it could have been a show car for that year.