Can't get rid of slack in bonnet cable

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Can't get rid of slack in bonnet cable

Post by mrscalex »

I've just replaced the bonnet release system (long cable, short cable, 2 lower latches and 2 upper latches) on the 2.2 project with known good parts from the breaker. The original latches had the cable entry guides snapped off and the replacement bonnet had no upper latches.

It took a while getting it all in, it's fiddly and due to the air con fan I had to pull the headlights and air ducting back out to fit. But the bonnet shut with a pleasing slam and everything felt right.

However I can't get it to release with the handle. The front of the car is off so not a problem grabbing the short cable and releasing like that.

The issue is that there's slack in the long cable. I just can't see why that would be. The only variables seem to be the amount of cable inside and outside the bulkhead but not a lot of room for manoeuvre there. And whether the tension on the metal clamp on the bulkhead grommet is crucial in keeping the outer cable in position. That metal clamp is a real b*gger to slide on though, I couldn't quite get it to the end of the grommet where it likes to sit.

Any ideas?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Can't get rid of slack in bonnet cable

Post by mrscalex »

Still puzzling over this. So any help appreciated!

Have googled and searched forums repeatedly but all the hits are for stuck bonnets and how to release them. My front end is off so I have easy access to open using the short cable that runs between the 2 latches.

The latches have been cleaned and lubricated and do not appear stiff. The issue appears to be around 1" of slack in the main cable. Just can't figure out where this is coming from or how to get rid of it!
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Can see how this is happening unless its not fitted properly or the cable you bought is not good ?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

bertiejaffa wrote:Can see how this is happening unless its not fitted properly or the cable you bought is not good ?
That's 2 of us need guidance now then! The cable is second-hand but was working just fine on the donor car. I suspect it isn't fitted properly somewhere but I've checked and re-checked and just can't see where. The only thing I can think of is that the outer cable should be locked at the grommet by the metal collar and either 1) it isn't and it's sliding in and out affecting things or 2) there's meant to be a specific amount of cable either side of the bulkhead, I moved the grommet position and that's what's mucked it up.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here's the manual information....

Hood components..

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks southernboy. I was okay with the procedure though - I just didn't know how to adjust it.

I'm pretty certain it's the bulkhead grommet and either there is the wrong amount of outer cable either side of the bulkhead and/or it's moving past the hex lock ring on the end of the grommet.

It was a working cable when I pulled it off the breaker. But I had an unnecessary fight getting the grommet out of the bulkhead and I think I moved the position of the grommet or damaged it.

So it's new cable time and we'll see if that fixes it.

Before I put the new cable in I'll be using it as a benchmark to adjust the grommet position and lock it properly on my 2 spares.

I can retention the cable between pulls with a wiggle and it works once, really well so I don't think it's got anything to do with any of the 5 latch components or position of the bonnet (newly installed) on the hinges.
ImageImage