steering wheel

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

steering wheel

Post by jony9 »

Hi all anyone tried these..

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351754696153
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: steering wheel

Post by Southernboy »

Not my cuppa, but if you like it - go for it.
You will take note that fitting it means you won't have an airbag - If you read the details, it says it will fit all Z3's that have airbags - but is supplied with airbag bypass wiring - so no airbag protection. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I think its very ugly...

I would much rather get the normal one recovered by Royal steering wheels and save £125 in the process.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

Recovered? That's a good idea.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

lots of people have used this firm - I have had my M wheel and my 911 both done by them, very well recommended

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

bertiejaffa wrote:lots of people have used this firm - I have had my M wheel and my 911 both done by them, very well recommended

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/
Totally agree with above, Royal Wheels do a fantastic job. Jack will do a great custom revamp on the wheel, extra padding, different materials, stitching etc, all for about half what the ebay wheel is costing. He'll even do a part exchange deal for a refundable £100 deposit.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
jony9

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jony9 »

I just don't like how the wheel seems massive.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

any pictures please of the royal recovered wheels, they have given me a quote, but would like to see what is achieved. do they recover over the old or strip the old off and refit new ?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

This is mine, had it double padded, with perforated leather at the sides and smooth nappa top and bottom finished off with silver stitching to match the colour of the car and my carbon dash. This is probably one of the best mods I have done and it really improves the driving experience and feels much more like a modern BMW wheel.

Not to sure if they remove and recover or just cover over the old wheel, probably depends if you are having it padded which most people do. You will not be disappointed.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Theres plenty of pics of my Z steering wheel in the M link at the bottom of my signature. However, this is the other one I bought

Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

got to say they both look stunning Jack at Royal steering wheels ahs replied to me and i thingk i will get this done for a xmas present.. when the car is off the road for winter.....

thanks All...

Al..
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

g8jka wrote:This is mine, had it double padded, with perforated leather at the sides and smooth nappa top and bottom finished off with silver stitching to match the colour of the car and my carbon dash. This is probably one of the best mods I have done and it really improves the driving experience and feels much more like a modern BMW wheel.

Not to sure if they remove and recover or just cover over the old wheel, probably depends if you are having it padded which most people do. You will not be disappointed.
i have to say that looks real nice i just need to decide over the next few weeks on what sort of colour to go for mine is currently beige but i imagine this will easily get dirty so may go for something like yours with maybe the plastic pieces in a beige / tan colour.... i do like the perforated on the sides and smooth napa on top though...

did Royal Steering charge anymore for the different material? i have been quoted £125 at the moment....?

heres mine at the moment with the aweful cover that the prvious owner has put on...!!!!!

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

No mine was also £125 plus a refundable deposit of £100 if you go for the exchange option so you don't have to send him your original wheel.

Be aware that the new wheel won't come with the plastic tabs, mine are wrapped in carbon fibre so if you want a colour change you will either have to wrap or spray your own when the wheel is off.

I don't think I've ever seen a beige wheel, I wonder if they are rare? Might be worth selling it and buying a new wheel to get re-trimmed. I could imagine they do get dirty though.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I too never liked the feel of the old wheel, however as the other guys have said, Jack has totally transformed it by double thickening it plus other specs to my own preference. It looks and feels just like my 330 M sport......one of the best mods I've had done. Jack's a really helpful guy to do business with and knows his stuff too.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i didnt realise he did an exchange that may be worth me considering... as for the wheel its real grotty...dunno about rarity though the gear know is an unusual colour too.... the leather is aweful thats why theres a cover over it i knew this when i bought the car... the prvious owner put that thing on and its awful too thick... i was considering a Mr. Steering cover to stitch on temporarily but i dont think it will be enough material to cover the thumb rests...

yeah Jack seems good i did get 2 emails off him so will definitely use him...

the gear knob, and the wood is a light colour not as dark as other versions i have seen....

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I quite like that cover! From a distance anyway...
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Antm72 »

I had mine done by jack and i dyed the tabs beige i didn't want to add another beige into the interior by risking a trim in beige so went black as it was the safe option....
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If you want more than just a cosmetic change fit a 340mm raid wheel, retains airbag (although only single stage if you have a 2 stage system) and transforms the driving experience on the Z3's. One of the best mods I did to my car, the stock wheel whether recovered or not is just too big IMHO
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

here's mine:

Royal Steering Wheels, extra padding, perforated/smooth leather and blue stitching.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

handsomejackuk wrote:i didnt realise he did an exchange that may be worth me considering... as for the wheel its real grotty...dunno about rarity though the gear know is an unusual colour too.... the leather is aweful thats why theres a cover over it i knew this when i bought the car... the prvious owner put that thing on and its awful too thick... i was considering a Mr. Steering cover to stitch on temporarily but i dont think it will be enough material to cover the thumb rests...

the gear knob, and the wood is a light colour not as dark as other versions i have seen....

HI, will he be able to do your wheel ? Just looking at it you dont have the usual hand grips at 10 / 2 that most have. I sure he can, just thinking about the exchange option etc. If not let me know I have an old wheel in the garage somewhere
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

How can a different steering wheel effect the performance of a car............really?
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

bertiejaffa wrote:
handsomejackuk wrote:i didnt realise he did an exchange that may be worth me considering... as for the wheel its real grotty...dunno about rarity though the gear know is an unusual colour too.... the leather is aweful thats why theres a cover over it i knew this when i bought the car... the prvious owner put that thing on and its awful too thick... i was considering a Mr. Steering cover to stitch on temporarily but i dont think it will be enough material to cover the thumb rests...

HI, will he be able to do your wheel ? Just looking at it you dont have the usual hand grips at 10 / 2 that most have. I sure he can, just thinking about the exchange option etc. If not let me know I have an old wheel in the garage somewhere
yeah its got the grips at 10/2 thats why i dindt bother with a cover... i have to lwt him know i did say i want it to look original, and to keep the m badge.. i think its a bit of an unusual wheel..

what you can see is the cover put on by the other owner...