Seat refurbishment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Seat refurbishment

Post by Z3andZ4 »

I'm in Cambs.

I am travelling to Manchester every week for the next 6-9 months, 300 miles round trip and after my first 4 return journeys realise my back is not going to last if I don't get my seat comfort improved asap. Car's done 96k in it's 15 years and clearly needs some work, not so much the aesthetics more the comfort factor.

Anyone know of a place (and perhaps recommend) that would tackle this?

Prepared to travel a reasonable distance on a recommendation.

Thank you.
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Seat refurbishment

Post by mrscalex »

I sympathise. I do 30,000 miles a year. My main car is and has been an Alhambra for 17 years. My old one was killing my back in the end and it was one of the main reasons I bought a 1 year old new style one. The difference is amazing and I get a lot less issues.

I don't drive my Z3 long distance enough to tell you the impact it has on me so I can't advise if it's worn padding or just the design of the seat.

I have looked into leather restoration recently and I was getting quotes of £600-£800 a pair for full rebuilds. I ran away screaming.

It's within the realms of DIY to take the cover off and bulk the padding up but I don't think it would be easy and you may not achieve the result you hope for.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

Which seats do you have?
- standard
- sports
- M

Many people get the standard seats more comfortable by doing a seat tilt mod. They fit a 50 mm long rod coupler to the front seat mount to tilt the seat back. Gives your back much needed extra support.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

try Gibson and Turner In Oakdale they are local to me and do a really good job they are a family run business worth ringing them to see what they can do for you, i have had refurbishment work done to a few other cars and their work is real good quality

https://www.yell.com/s/upholsterers-oak ... kwood.html
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

must be lucky, my zed's got sport seats , face lift 2.2 this year been to Le Mans twice 1400 miles each time only stop off for fuel , drink-empty, off again get out still fresh no stiffness in back or legs took me some time to get my seat height and rake just right now spot on
peter2b
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

Thank you to those who replied.

You won't believe it but I was referred by an upholsterer I use locally to a local man who is 5 miles from where I live and has been doing total interior refurbs for 30 years. How lucky am I? He does proper seat refurb or the fully monty leather replaced, so I shall see when I meet with him next week. Anyone in Cambs need to know who/where this guy is?
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Keep us informed. If he's good and cheap they'll be a sizeable queue.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)