Engine bay paint

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Justbrowsing

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Engine bay paint

Post by Justbrowsing »

Does anyone know the paint name or code for the engine bay on a 2001 Sport.
It looks an off-White colour.

I need to match it after doing some rust prevention work.
Main Drives
Audi Q7 - 2016
Audi TTS Roadster 2016
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Engine bay paint

Post by Robert T »

What colour is the car?

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The label in the engine bay has 2 paint references. The upper is the external colour and the lower is the engine bay. They are normally but not always the same. And invariably the engine bay is not lacquered or metallic.

White Sport is it? Any white Z3 is uncommon. But a facelift Sport is quite a rare beast. I've not seen one before anyhow. And if the engine bay is white and the external colour is something else that's even more unusual. In case it's non standard you may want to take it along to an automotive paint supplier and let them use their tool to analyse the colour.

If I'm being over the top about the rarity/unusual thing I'm sure others will slap me down.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

HHmmm, think I've clicked. If your car is silver (just seen your profile) then the engine bay at a stretch may look off white but it will be a pale silver due to being non metallic and unlacquered.

Titanium silver (354 external) normally uses titanium silver (flat as above) in the engine bay. And yes I guess it may look like an off white especially with a layer of grime.

As per previous post look at the lower paint name on the colour plate on the nearside inner wing. You'll also see 354 bottom left, probably 354/7 though I'm not sure what the /7 is.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

You cant buy this paint pre-mixed there is no code for it. Easy option is to go to a paint factors and they can put the colour gun in it. If your car is silver the body paint is a non-metallic flat grey matt finish.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Deano1712 wrote:You cant buy this paint pre-mixed there is no code for it. Easy option is to go to a paint factors and they can put the colour gun in it. If your car is silver the body paint is a non-metallic flat grey matt finish.
Did forget to mention that. And on that basis indeed they may as well put the gun on it rather than just mix up a 354 with no metallic flakes.
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

my 2001 z3 sport has tatanium out and what looks like light gray in the engine bay
peter2b
Justbrowsing

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Justbrowsing »

Thanks for the replies, very useful.

Yes, the car is Titan Silver. I'll check codes this morning.
Main Drives
Audi Q7 - 2016
Audi TTS Roadster 2016
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

When I had my boot welds repaired by BMW the bodyshop manager had a moan that it took 4 attempts to mix a match for the boot interior - apparently the original paint was factory use only and was not supplied to dealers. They started by trying the original paint (Titanium) without the laquer but it was totally different. Fortunately they mixed up more than they needed so I got the spare to touch up a few places in the engine bay.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Zed Carer wrote:When I had my boot welds repaired by BMW the bodyshop manager had a moan that it took 4 attempts to mix a match for the boot interior - apparently the original paint was factory use only and was not supplied to dealers. They started by trying the original paint (Titanium) without the laquer but it was totally different. Fortunately they mixed up more than they needed so I got the spare to touch up a few places in the engine bay.
Good to know that. Think I'll go to an automotive paint supplier and get them to make a can up. I need to respray a front panel some time.
ImageImage
Justbrowsing

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Justbrowsing »

Hi all, engine paint is sorted. Apparently it's Goosewing Grey.

Local paint guy knew it and mixed 3 rattle cans and a touch up pot and it matches perfectly.

Car outer is Titan Silver.
Main Drives
Audi Q7 - 2016
Audi TTS Roadster 2016