soft rear end.. but might be normal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

soft rear end.. but might be normal

Post by 4wheels »

i have a 3.0 and tend to drive it quite fast (upto the speed limit) :)
so, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, all happen quite quickly.... at the moment if you change in a corner, then you need to be aware that its going to move as you change gear, you get a wobble.. ish... a slight unnerving feeling shall we say.
so is this how they are, or do i go digging to find the worn bush?
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: soft rear end.. but might be normal

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, I also have a 3.0i and I definitely don't get any of those symptoms.
First things to check must be all of the rear suspension bushes, worn shock absorbers might also contribute.
Most Z3s are now more than 14/15 years old and still have the original bushes etc.
Let us know what you find.
Howard
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

so you can basically change gear on full throttle and not have any bad feeling?
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

I must admit I personally would never change gear mid corner, mind you this might be that iv also ridden motorcycles all my life.
H
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

Try it first to second round a roundabout full throttle... One of the big ones
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

It's a common characteristic of the suspension design, but make sure your rear dampers are in good condition as this can exacerbate the effect; having said that, the stock dampers qre quite soft and allow a lot of squat and bounce particlarly on gearchanges. I can recommend Spax adjustable (you can get shortened versions if you car is lowered); you can then adjust it to your preference. Good thing is they adjust for "bump/compression" too, which means it limits squat a bit and makes the rear end feel much more controlled.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

as said by some one alway enter a corner in a lower gear only change up when exiting , same as not braking in a corner
peterz3
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

had a look today, all i can see is the little drop links to the anti roll bar are a little cracked, ill get a couple more, they are only £8 ish.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

From personal experience, although Z3s might pass their MOTs, they will benefit from suspension renovation. I had ARB bushes that looked fine but one had a slight distortion and bulge where it is naturally split and it was causing a terrible knocking. I had rear droplinks that showed just slight signs of perishing but they were making bad "clinking" noises and almost fell off the ARB when I replaced them. Likewise, whilst not leaking, I had (at the time) 14-year old shocks that were very soft and when pressed together by hand - did not rebound at all. Replacing all this sort of thing, collectively made a massive improvement - particularly the rear shocks. I would recommend suspension renovation for any Z3 owner (regardless of mileage) simply based on age-related deterioration. It improves the driving experience.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Controversial reply coming up! :shock:
It is likely that there shall be some wear in your suspension and replacing bushes and dampers will be a worthwhile improvement.
However, if you wish to drive a reasonably fast car quickly and safely, take yourself to your nearest racing circuit and have some lessons from a properly qualified racing instructor. They will teach you how to "drive" a car rather than "operate" one at a sufficient level to pass a road driving test.
Learn about traction circles, weight transfer, etc. and how to balance a car through bends. The last thing you should do is unsettle a car whilst cornering by changing gear or braking as either will eventually see you visiting the scenery at a great rate of knots and if you are very lucky you may live to tell the tale!
If you persist in expecting traction control, stability control, sports suspension and fat tyres to compensate for poor driving technique e.g. "Try it first to second round a roundabout full throttle" please do not involve any innocent passers by in your crashes and do not expect sensible Z drivers to be sympathetic to your "accident" because it wasn't one!
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, one thing I always think of when riding my motor bike (BMW rt) is slow in, fast out.. fast in, don't come out!
Most accidents are caused by cars & motorbikes going into corners to fast.
I agree with the fact that most Z3s would obviously benefit from new suspension bushes. Some folk will only change them when there's a problem or the car has failed it's MOT.
Only the individual can decide whether they are proactive or reactive?
I personally believe in trying to keep my pride & joy up to a high level of maintenance. ( according to funds!)
H
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

There's no reason it should jump like it does.... It's not my driving lol. I am an engineer and been racing for years. Like someone said accidents happen on the way in. Joys of rwd.
Shocks sound like a good plan too.... Would stop the hopping under throttle esp if the bump has all gone
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I personally, if driving enthusiastically, would never change gear on a bend. Brake and change down before the bend, then once you are into it put the power in! Okay if you are trundling about though.

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

The rear subframe bushes move a lot and cause a floatiness, even if not changing gear in the corner it's like it pitches in to the corner after you've turned. The fitment of some purple power flex on mine made a great difference.
And fresh suspension of course
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Yes, last year had all new OEM springs, shocks, mounts, drop links and ARB bushes renewed. That plus a Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Braces certainly improved the handling. (Already had a front strut brace on).

:cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

The bottom line is that you should not have any un-nervous feeling when changing gear whether it is on the straight or round a bend... I have often thrown mine into bends to fast and too slow and had to correct the gears accordingly and believe me the car has been fine and never made any unexpected movements other than what i would expect based on my "incorrect judgement". There is no need for additional braces - if the car is feeling odd when changing gear then have the bushes replaced - some are obviously easier (and cheaper) than others.

As for changing gear in a corner, well that depends on your own driving style, whether you are changing up or down (not actually mentioned) and how severe or long the corner is...

(And I am also a biker so I am more than aware of the laws of physics)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Broon

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Broon »

Is what you are experiencing not just some 'lift-off over steer'?
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

nope not lift off oversteer... its rwd.

i have purchased for the big sum of £8 each, drop links, and £6 each roll bar bushes.
hope to fit them this weekend!... but the F1 is on.. so it might have to wait lol.

its nice to hear that it should handle like a proper car like you'd expect.
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

been a while.. but the weather has been good, so got to change the rear shocks...
its light and day.. its like new... full throttle changes with steering angle now result in no brown pants.
:)