Spinning ignition barrel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Spinning ignition barrel

Post by Richieroo »

Have a problem with this.

The lock started to malfunction occasionally, and then gave up the ghost when my wife was out one day.

Lock simply spins round - she was stuck with the engine n and unable to turn it off!

Have now taken ignition "switch" from the back of the lock mechanism and using a screwdriver to start and stop. Have to keep the key in lock for "halo" security ring to allow car to start.

Have obtained a new barrel from BMW (after having to give up my first born child for security!) but I can't get the old barrel out. Have watched all the videos on YouTube, but can't get this to work with the "pin".

I think the reason it wont work is that the whole lock is spinning when I turn the key, s that I cant get the pin into the right position to withdraw the lock. Have tried drilling a small hole in the housing to try to depress the small "keep" on the barrel but with no success.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? Don't particularly want to replace the barrel housing on the steering wheel as it's expensive and also looks tricky to do

TIA Richard
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Spinning ignition barrel

Post by mrscalex »

If you mean the release hole. You can get the proper tool off eBay for about £7.

I’ve done it with a vent paper clip before. But it’s fiddly. I haven’t tried the tool yet but I bought it to simplify the job.

But the key is meant to be turned to posn 1 or 2 to align the release pin. That may be your problem.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Richieroo »

Thanks. I’m not sure that the Lack of the tool is the problem. I think that te whole barrel is spinning so that I can’t get the key into the correct position to effect the release. Not quite sure why this is happening.
Richard
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

As mentioned in my last paragraph, I would tend to suspect that too.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Richieroo wrote: Sun 29 Jul, 2018 10:09 Thanks. I’m not sure that the Lack of the tool is the problem. I think that te whole barrel is spinning so that I can’t get the key into the correct position to effect the release. Not quite sure why this is happening.
Richard
I've been down similar route a few times - first time it failed was with engine running. I've not been able to remove mine either but can reset it. I have removed the lower switch mechanism and the put a socket over the knurled inner spindle and then turned it and it has re-engaged.

I've not bought special tool but have tried various clips and shaped allen keys to no avail.

In amongst my paperwork from previous owner I found a receipt to say barrel had previously been changed and suspect they didn't get it right
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Richieroo »

Thanks - your solution worked for me too! Turned the "spigot" end of the barrel with a pair of pliers and that freed the barrel and I've been able to put the ignition switch back n the end and use normally. Haven't put the shroud back on yet - I might try to put in the new barrel now that the "mechanism" is freed.

Richard