Windscreen replacement.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Windscreen replacement.

Post by Southernboy »

I had my windscreen replaced today. These guys are a mobile service and came to my home. The job took 30 minutes which included removing the old windscreen, and fitting the new one.
I watched the process, and TBH it's a dead easy job.
I had previously removed the plastic trim inside the engine bay which butts against the bottom of the glass. 2 wipers and 8 clips.
When these guys arrived, they started by carefully pulling the rubber surround trim from it's housing - it's not glued in in any way.
Next they used a "special tool" it's available on eBay for just £5.75. It is used to cut through the silicone which bonds the glass to the car frame.
(see link below) Once this was cut through all round, the old glass was lifted out whole.
Next was to remove the old silicone attached to the car frame. He used a Stanley knife and easily sliced through the 10mm wide x 4mm thick old silicone. It left a thin residue of around 1/2mm thick still stuck to the frame, which wasn't removed at all.
He next used a wet cloth to clean the frame all round.
While this was happening, his buddy applied a "primer" liquid to the inner edge of the new glass.
At the same time the other fella used a silicone "gun" to apply the fresh silicone to the car frame following the line left by the old silicone residue.
The rubber trim was applied to the edge of the new glass, and by using 2 of the dual suction cup thingies they lifted the new glass and placed it in position on the frame slightly lower than it's final position - aprox 10mm. This allowed the rubber trim to be located into position on the frame.
Nest they used the suction handles to push the glass upwards along the A pillars until the top edge of the rubber trim located.
Next, they gently tapped the glass all the way round above where the fresh silicone had been placed.
They then used some short strips of 50mm wide masking tape on each of the top corner points and in the center top which they pulled tightly to prevent the glass sliding down the A pillars.
And that completed the job.. The tape has to remain in place for minimum 24 hours to allow the fresh silicone to cure.
The car can however be driven after 3 hours -they say. No washing for 48 hours.
The silicone they use is a "special" silicone as is the primer, but both products are easily available from suppliers if you google for "windshield bonding silicone and primer"
Bottom line is, it's the sort of job two guys could do without effort and you'd be hard pressed to finish a couple of pints before the job was done.

Link to the "special tool".....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREEN-R ... 1312735156
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Windscreen replacement.

Post by sirius-c »

with no windscreen in place its a great opportunity to get in with a vac and a cloth, to reach all the 'hard to reach' dirt.

I got some some funny looks, but hey :thumb:
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You're absolutely on it there.. I had a vacuum machine to clean out the wiper mechanism well and also the dust and filth which had accumulated between the dash and the windscreen. I actually found 3 unused tickets to a live music gig which had slipped into that space. The owner at the time must've been really p'd to have lost them...
"Normal is overrated"

Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

Why can't I see the photos? All I see is a box that says Click for Photo, only it doesn't work. It takes me to Photobucket where it says the requested page does not exist. ????? :dunce: :dunce:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Perhaps because I didn't post ant photographs... :dunce:
"Normal is overrated"

Bumpa

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bumpa »

Ahhh. Silly me.